• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (1 Viewer)

At feeders in our yard yesterday:
American Crow (flyover)
Northern Cardinal
House Finch
American Goldfinch
Black-capped Chickadee
European Starling
House Sparrow
White-breasted Nuthatch
Blue Jay
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Mourning Dove
Dark-eyed Junco
Downy Woodpecker
Northern Flicker

not seen one this year yet. probably not cold enough I suppose

The one bird I've never seen in our garden that I'm desperate to capture is a Nuthatch ... everyone else seems to have them :-C

I have not had nuthatch yet EB,regarding the Siskin, it is very warm here and the 1st one this year as popped in the garden.

I have not had nuthatch yet EB,regarding the Siskin, it is very warm here and the 1st one this year as popped in the garden.

we had a Nuthatch a couple of feet outside our kitchen window every day for a week when we stayed at Gigrin Farm Rhayder last year(red kites )
No matter what I did I couldn't get a picture of him. grrrrrrr crafty sneaky birdy.;);)

We were knee deep in Red kites everywhere but all I wanted was that Nuthatch lol

we had a Nuthatch a couple of feet outside our kitchen window every day for a week when we stayed at Gigrin Farm Rhayder last year(red kites )
No matter what I did I couldn't get a picture of him. grrrrrrr crafty sneaky birdy.;);)

We were knee deep in Red kites everywhere but all I wanted was that Nuthatch lol

did you get a pic of red kites?

We too stayed at GF, a few years ago now. Apart from the Red Kites in the garden tree each morning the other highlights were a pair of Bramblings visiting the garden feeders.

did you get a pic of red kites?

do you know ...I didn't get a good shot all week ! the feed area was just too far away for 720mm lens and its impossible to get a good shot whilst they are wheeling overhead.
I did capture an all- white Kite which is fairly uncommon apparently.;)

Its a fabulous place to stay for a week. They have a couple of self catering cottages and a camping field.:t:

We too stayed at GF, a few years ago now. Apart from the Red Kites in the garden tree each morning the other highlights were a pair of Bramblings visiting the garden feeders.

which cottage did you stay at ? we had baby peacocks on the fence outside our kitchen which is a pretty strange sight in the morning ;)

Attachments

• peacocks.jpg
    peacocks.jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
I was lucky enough to have 8 greenfinches in my boring front garden today, 3 squabbling over a feeder, and the rest on the ground. Never had 8 at the one time, and having followed their flight in and out of the garden, I have real hopes they're going to breed in the area.

In the back garden, the robin and blue tits are gettng bolder, coming closer and closer to the patio doors. A coal tit flew, briefly, to the windowledge for the seed I had scattered there. Big, bulky great tits arrived adn departed with much chirping, chaffinches arrived in mixed- sex gangs and unlike their larger cousins the greenies, the chaffs managed not to fight among themselves.

All in all, pleasantly surprising for a small garden sandwiched between the barren deserts of wildlife- hostile backyards.

I've just been watching a lovely siskin here this morning CB! Eating Nyger seeds. No pic I'm afraid, I haven't got the skills. As I type there's a redpoll on the nyger and goldfinches going between nyger and sunflower hearts (I only put the latter out at weekends now as they go too fast for my bank balance to keep up).

The sparrows are eating mostly fatballs now, and blackbirds, starlings and dunnocks are under the feeders where I've strewn a couple of fatballs and some sunflower hearts.

I've just been watching a lovely siskin here this morning CB! Eating Nyger seeds. No pic I'm afraid, I haven't got the skills. As I type there's a redpoll on the nyger and goldfinches going between nyger and sunflower hearts (I only put the latter out at weekends now as they go too fast for my bank balance to keep up).

The sparrows are eating mostly fatballs now, and blackbirds, starlings and dunnocks are under the feeders where I've strewn a couple of fatballs and some sunflower hearts.

Its always great to have so many different types of finches in the garden. A lot of the birds are getting paired up now, so nesting will soon be on the cards.

CB

Our weather has been grey and drizzly all week and the feeders have been very busy. Today the sun is shining and it is very quiet! Very strange! We have a pair of Robins and they both chase our pair of dunnocks.
We have replaced some of our feeders with the posh Chapelwood ones that you guys recommend. The newest one is the Niger feeder complete with tray. A few weeks ago my hubby filled it up and added it to the collection, replacing the old plastic one but just had two perches. Despite having up to 20 goldfinches, four siskins, lots of bluetits etc not one bird went on the new feeder. After about two weeks. I asked hubby if he had taken out the plastic sleeve supplied with the feeder. It went out to check and there it was. To my relief, it was being used within an hour. Oops! :t:

just not seen the garden all week, however a few hours this afternoon brought 5 Lesser Redpoll.

eb I stayed in the first cottage at GF (up a few stones steps)
unusual sight like you say with the peacocks - great image

We had two Lesser Redpolls here a male and female yesterday and today,we are not as lucky to get as many as you do BFB so quite pleased with them,

Unfortunately, no repolls are coming to our yard, but still a good representation of species did visit this morning:

American Goldfinch - 10
American Robin - 1
Black-capped Chickadee - 2
Dark-eyed Junco - 5
Downy Woodpecker - 3
European Starling - 10
House Finch - 4
House Sparrow - 10
Mourning Dove - 3
Northern Cardinal - 4
Northern Flicker - 1
Red-bellied Woodpecker - 1