• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very cheap binoculars (2 Viewers)

Steve Babbs

I have been asked for advice on a pair of binoculars for a keen birding child. The mother was rather vague about budget but I suspect it is going to be very low. Can anyone suggest a very cheap pair of binoculars at around the £50 mark?

I would try to duck the question, but I suspect you are not in a position to do that

Can you send her to a shop?

Tell her that they are ever so much more knowledgeable.

Rspb puffin 8x32, £70. Secondhand shops would work, but you’d get only what’s available and they’re likely to be old and heavy compared to modern roof prism models that are lighter and thus easier for kids. I’d definitely avoid any very cheap plastic models as the views will be awoeful and not help keep the interest going. I picked up some cheap celestron 8x30 for a son’s friend and although they’re noticeably worse than what I normally carry, they’re perfectly acceptable. Online svbony sell a number of models, some of which have received positive reviews. Eg Product Review: Svbony SV202 8 x 32 ED Binocular. | Neil English.net
Spending a wee bit more will provide a much better outcome.

Peter

The Puffin does look pretty good and they could try them at Minsmere: light weight, good close focus. Is is tricky because when we were talking about binocular bargains we obviously had a very different ideas about what constituted budget binoculars. The child is genuinely keen so I will suggest combined birthday and Christmas.

Opticron also make really good value for money binoculars, I've considered buying the Adventurer 6.5x32 which has received positive reviews and is only £85. A bit more expensive is the Savanna 8x30, which is virtually the same as the Kowa mentioned up thread - also highly regarded, a bit more robust and waterproof. You can find them both a bit below retail if you shop around e.g. Birder's store.
Another option could be the new Vortex Bantam HD, which is about 80 quid, but has Vortex's no fault warranty - perhaps a worthy consideration if buying for a child - accidents happen!

Opticron also make really good value for money binoculars, I've considered buying the Adventurer 6.5x32 which has received positive reviews and is only £85. A bit more expensive is the Savanna 8x30, which is virtually the same as the Kowa mentioned up thread - also highly regarded, a bit more robust and waterproof. You can find them both a bit below retail if you shop around e.g. Birder's store.
Another option could be the new Vortex Bantam HD, which is about 80 quid, but has Vortex's no fault warranty - perhaps a worthy consideration if buying for a child - accidents happen!
Having just used Vortex's warranty for my travel scope that is definitely a bonus.

Look at Ace optics website.... second hand section... put in price low to high.... and see their second hand offerings.
You will get so much better optics for the money going this route, and most kids won't care if they are 2nd hand.

I don't know price or availability in your area, but Oberwerk 6.5x32 is great for kids with an IPD down to 51mm. Warning: if the mom looks through it she won't want to give it to her child...it's that good.
~ Foss

London Camera Exchange (branches all over the country) is a decent secondhand seller and of course your local optics shop may well have secondhand binoculars worth considering.

Local Gumtree is also an option. I've found in London about 95 to 98% of the binoculars sold there are either Japanese models from the 1950s/60s or low to very low-end modern product. The latter is best avoided unless you know what you're looking at in that price range (the 8x32 Sightron is reportedly pretty good). The former can give good service and can be obtained at pretty decent prices, but needs to be checked for haze, fungus, and alignment (any issues with these will require servicing).

I suppose a lot depends on the age of the youngster in question. If young enough that accidents can be expected, you probably want something pretty tough and foolproof, but if old enough to be responsible for their own gear, an old Japanese porro in good condition will do OK (and you can have him/her do some odd jobs for you to bump the budget up by some £50-100 or so).

Some weeks ago at Rainham I saw a young fellow using a blue ribbon Swift Audubon from the 1970s and pretty obviously enjoying his birding - you probably won't get one of those for £50, but there are other binoculars of that vintage that if in good condition will still serve well until the young birder can scrimp up enough for something more modern.

I gave some old secondhand 7x35 porro models to a young distant relative and left another similar pair in a local nature reserve (still there). Just check the view is clear and there is no double images. Getting a good (cheap) pair will be useful for everyone in the family for decades to come, allows you to see far more of nature, get a good bird book and get to nature reserves too.

Peter

The child is ten and quite small at the moment. I'm afraid I won't be checking. My commitment goes as far as suggestions. I have suggested second hand as a good option.

I have been asked for advice on a pair of binoculars for a keen birding child. The mother was rather vague about budget but I suspect it is going to be very low. Can anyone suggest a very cheap pair of binoculars at around the £50 mark?
A second hand , serviced C Zeiss Jenoptem 8x30 for around £50. Make sure it includes a strap in case it is dropped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back