• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vireo (?) ID Ontario Canada (1 Viewer)

Tom Lusk

I'm having trouble with this bird for some reason.
ID, please?

Attachments

• BIRD CROP 2-sharpen-SoftnessSH.jpg
    BIRD CROP 2-sharpen-SoftnessSH.jpg
    851.7 KB · Views: 27
Tough angle. Tail looks extremely short - could be a fledgling?
It's too yellow for most vireos, I would take a look at the yellowish warblers - Yellow or Pine spring to mind, but I don't have my book handy.

edit: where in Ontario? Orange-crowned is a good candidate but should be pretty far north.

I'm also confident with Yellow for the reasons mentioned above. Also notice the bill shape: too big and blunt-tipped for Orange-crowned.

Edit: to me the body shape also looks like Yellow rather than Orange-crowned, but I'm having trouble quantifying the differences exactly.

Edit: to me the body shape also looks like Yellow rather than Orange-crowned, but I'm having trouble quantifying the differences exactly.

Another feature for separation is the eye-stripe which can be “variably” subdued in OCW, but as in (subject) YW non existent.

Cheers

Another view, but it seems the consensus is this is Imm. Yellow Warbler. Thanks, everyone!

Attachments

• warbler sp-sharpen-Focus.jpg
    warbler sp-sharpen-Focus.jpg
    983.5 KB · Views: 12

Users who are viewing this thread

Back