• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vireo Id - Sask, Canada (1 Viewer)

nikovich

Hi guys, me again.

I love this time of year, We get alot of different birds in the backyard as they pass through and head South .

I'm leaning towards Fall plumaged Philadelphia Vireo for this photo ( Bill is small enough and there is a hint of Yellow under the wings ) , but I won't totally rule out Bell's either.
Can anyone give me the definitive answer I need please :)

Thanks !

Nick

Attachments

• vireo.JPG
    vireo.JPG
    162 KB · Views: 111
Although we can see only half the bird, from the facial pattern I'd say Warbling (apparently pale lores, fairly indistinct supercilium). That's my opinion...

I would support Philly, it seems to me to have dark lores, and its not showing that 'blank faced' look that ever Warbling I have seen has had. If it is a PHVI it is showing less yellow then is usual, but I still think it is within the range of variation.

I've seen lots of Warbling Vireos this year - here's a photo I took just a few weeks ago, and this bird was a completely different shape than the Vireo I saw today , alot more slender, with a longer bill .

Anyway, I appreciate everyone's input guys. Thanks very much. I've now labelled my bird as a Warbling Vireo :)

Attachments

• Warbling Vireo3 - small - 03.08.07.jpg
    Warbling Vireo3 - small - 03.08.07.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back