• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vireonidae (2 Viewers)

Hope that new names will be suggested for the two "Hylophilus" groups and also for Vireo hypochryseus (thus, also necessitating the resurrection of Vireosylva) rather than lumping all in a huge Vireo...

Last edited:
TiF Update May 27:

The Vireonidae have been rearranged based on Battey (2014). Tepui Greenlet, Hylophilus sclateri, becomes Tepui Vireo / Tepui Greenlet, Vireo sclateri. The remaining Hylophilus has been split into three pieces: Hylophilus, "Hylophilus", and Pachysylvia.

Also, I have split the South American Chivi Vireo, Vireo chivi from Red-eyed Vireo. Battey (2014) sampled Red-eyed Vireos from 6 locations and 18 Chivi Vireos and found that they are not sister taxa.

Chiví Vireo

TiF Update May 27:
Also, I have split the South American Chivi Vireo, Vireo chivi from Red-eyed Vireo. Battey (2014) sampled Red-eyed Vireos from 6 locations and 18 Chivi Vireos and found that they are not sister taxa.
Listed as a possible species by Monroe & Sibley 1993.

Brewer 2010 (HBW 15)...
Neotropical races treated by some authors as representing a distinct species, under name of "V. chivi", although this apparently diverged from nominate only c. 370,000 years ago (whereas V. flavoviridis and present species diverged from each other c. 4-6 million years ago); it is hypothesized that the "chivi group" of races arose from wintering individuals of nominate race from North America that failed to migrate back N in spring, and in a situation where migration is largely unnecessary, and consequent gene-pool mixing of different populations is reduced, further subspeciation of Neotropical populations is likely. Additional work required on some resident South American races, which appear to have distinct vocalizations, before the matter can be resolved.
The current arrangement is certainly rather unusual, with the two allopatrically-breeding groups of Red-eyed Vireo V olivaceus geographically separated by Yellow-green Vireo V flavoviridis.

Last edited:
Listed as a possible species by Monroe & Sibley 1993.

The current arrangement is certainly rather unusual, with the two allopatrically-breeding groups of Red-eyed Vireo V olivaceus geographically separated by Yellow-green Vireo V flavoviridis.

Isn't Barn Swallow an analogous case? It breeds in Argentina and in North America but as far as I know not in other parts of South America. (corrections will be welcome).

Niels

Isn't Barn Swallow an analogous case? It breeds in Argentina and in North America but as far as I know not in other parts of South America. (corrections will be welcome).

Niels
Not analogous, as there's no other closely related Hirundo breeding in the area between :t:

Niels, my point was that Red-eyed Vireo has essentially leapfrogged over closely-related congeners in Middle America (and the West Indies), which isn't the case with Barn Swallow.

PS. ...like wot Nutcracker said!

Last edited:
Leap-frog patterns have been described (usually on a smaller scale) from other places. One that springs to mind is the Trembler complex in the Lesser Antilles.

Niels

A better comparison example, perhaps - Ciconia nigra in Europe and southern Africa, and Ciconia abdimii inbetween in central / northern Africa.

My example: Brown Trembler in Dominica (with possibly a different species north of there from Guadeloupe to wherever), Grey Trembler in Martinique and St. Lucia, and Brown Trembler again in St Vincent.

Niels

TiF Update August 17:
Slager et al. (2014) has prompted a number of changes in the Vireonidae. The Vireos have been rearranged and subfamilies have been added. The Golden Vireo moves to Pachysylvia. The Red-fronted Greenlet, "Hylophilus" rubrifrons, has been split from Tawny-crowned Greenlet, "Hylophilus" ochraceiceps. The Central American Vireo, Vireo notius (inc. montanus), has been split from Plumbeous Vireo, Vireo plumbeus, and Warbling Vireo, Vireo gilvus, has been split into the monotypic Eastern Warbling-Vireo, Vireo gilvus, and Western Warbling-Vireo, Vireo swainsoni. The text also includes discussion of some potential additional splits.

Tried inserting the 't' and removing the 'f', but it didn't work. $14 (plus £40+ bank currency exchange charges for non-US citizens) for just one page is obscene.

Maybe should get the 'authorities' (IOC, Clements, H&M, etc.) to reject any work automatically that doesn't allow access? Anything to break the hold of these racketeers holding science research results to ransome.

www.mapress.com/zootaxa/support/author.html#Open%20access.
Open access. Zootaxa endorses the open access of taxonomic information and has published more open access taxonomic papers than any other journal. Authors who have funds to publish are strongly encouraged to pay a fee of 20 US$ per printed page to give free online access of their papers to all readers at this site or their own site. Open access papers are read by more people and are expected to have higher citation rates.

Maybe should get the 'authorities' (IOC, Clements, H&M, etc.) to reject any work automatically that doesn't allow access? Anything to break the hold of these racketeers holding science research results to ransome.

i sympathise with the drive for open access scientific papers and as a scientist i'll be very happy when it is the norm across all disciplines, but that approach would be cutting off your nose to spite your face.
for the time being a proportion of high quality scientific data will not be published in open access format and it would be ludicrous for bodies seeking to establish the most robust taxonomies to ignore it,
meanwhile Clements and H&M don't give away their checklists for free so it would also be a little hypocritical no?....
cheers,
James

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back