• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vireonidae (3 Viewers)

No, of course not.

You could propose Thaumasioptera as the name of a new genus, with the type fixation of your choice, with a diagnosis, and with an explicit indication that the name is intentionally new, but it would then be Thaumasioptera Jim LeNomenclatoriste, 2021, not Thaumasioptera "Schiff" Bonaparte 1854.

What you suggest above would have made the name available from your work, with you as the author, if done in a pre-2000 publication. Now, it would achieve nothing at all, because treating the name as dating from Bonaparte 1854 is incompatible with it being proposed intentionally as a new name, and the latter is required for any new name after 1999.

I like that Jim L. is always thinking. My thought is that Thaumasioptera "Schiff" Bonaparte 1854 is the name of a wood warbler and not a vireo. In with genus Parula etc.
ser.4:t.1 (1854) - Annales des sciences naturelles - Biodiversity Heritage Library .
https://www.zoonomen.net/cit/RI/Genera/T/t00339a.jpg .
During a long time, Parulidae and Vireonidae was considered very close. This was probably the case at the time of Bonaparte. Moreover, Thaumasioptera is given as synonym of Hylophilus by BOW/HBW (and, I think, by Jobling too). I'm based on this x)

During a long time, Parulidae and Vireonidae was considered very close. This was probably the case at the time of Bonaparte. Moreover, Thaumasioptera is given as synonym of Hylophilus by BOW/HBW (and, I think, by Jobling too). I'm based on this x)
Bonaparte 1854 placed most current Vireonidae ("Cyclorrhis" = Cyclarhis, Vireolanius, Vireo, Vireosylvia, Hylophilus) in Laniidae: Vireoninae (p. 386 of Chanteurs dentirostres ; p. 125 of Consp. syst. ornithol.), thus making them quite distinct from wood-warblers.
He placed Thaumasioptera in Tanagridae: Sylvicolinae: Sylvicoleae (p. 389 of Chanteurs dentirostres ; p. 127 of Consp. syst. ornithol.) -- in a group typified by Sylvicola Swainson, which is an objective synonym of Parula. He admittedly also listed Pachysylvia (a Vireonidae) in the same group; but he had introduced this genus (Consp. gen. avium, 1850) for decurtata only, a species which puzzled him, and which he had described (PZS, 1838) in Sylvicola. I would read his misclassification of Pachysylvia among wood-warblers as reflecting a long-term misinterpretation of the type species (and no other species) as a wood-warbler; not a general inclination to mix Vireonidae and Parulidae.

I cannot tell for sure what Thaumasioptera was indended for, but I don't find it straightforward to reconcile the name (θαυμασιοπτερος = "marvellous-winged") with a greenlet...

Thank you Laurent. "I cannot tell for sure what Thaumasioptera was indended for" If only zoological nomenclator had a way to tie a genus to a species. Somewhere is a writing by Schiff in Paris or Frankfurt am Main museums providing a species name to this genus.

Bonaparte 1854 placed most current Vireonidae ("Cyclorrhis" = Cyclarhis, Vireolanius, Vireo, Vireosylvia, Hylophilus) in Laniidae: Vireoninae (p. 386 of Chanteurs dentirostres ; p. 125 of Consp. syst. ornithol.), thus making them quite distinct from wood-warblers.
He placed Thaumasioptera in Tanagridae: Sylvicolinae: Sylvicoleae (p. 389 of Chanteurs dentirostres ; p. 127 of Consp. syst. ornithol.) -- in a group typified by Sylvicola Swainson, which is an objective synonym of Parula. He admittedly also listed Pachysylvia (a Vireonidae) in the same group; but he had introduced this genus (Consp. gen. avium, 1850) for decurtata only, a species which puzzled him, and which he had described (PZS, 1838) in Sylvicola. I would read his misclassification of Pachysylvia among wood-warblers as reflecting a long-term misinterpretation of the type species (and no other species) as a wood-warbler; not a general inclination to mix Vireonidae and Parulidae.

I cannot tell for sure what Thaumasioptera was indended for, but I don't find it straightforward to reconcile the name (θαυμασιοπτερος = "marvellous-winged") with a greenlet...
I would like to know why BOW binds Thaumasioptera to Hylophilus 🤔

Amanda M Carpenter, Brendan A Graham, Garth M Spellman, John Klicka, and Theresa M Burg. 2021. Genetic, bioacoustic and morphological analyses reveal cryptic speciation in the warbling vireo complex (Vireo gilvus: Vireonidae: Passeriformes). Zoological Journal of the Linnean Society, Published: 21 October 2021h
Genetic, bioacoustic and morphological analyses reveal cryptic speciation in the warbling vireo complex (Vireo gilvus: Vireonidae: Passeriformes)

Abstract
Cryptic species are closely related taxa that are difficult to separate morphologically, but are reproductively isolated. Here we examine the warbling vireo complex (Vireo gilvus), a widespread songbird speculated to be comprised of more than one cryptic species. We included three taxa within the complex: two of the western (Vireo gilvus swainsonii and Vireo gilvus brewsteri) subspecies and the single eastern (Vireo gilvus gilvus) subspecies. We used mtDNA and microsatellite loci to assess the congruence of genetic data to the current subspecies boundaries. We then incorporated bioacoustic, morphometric and ecological niche modelling analyses to further examine differences. We found two genetic groups with mtDNA analysis, splitting eastern and western warbling vireos. Microsatellite analyses revealed four genetic groups: an eastern group, a Black Hills group and two western groups that do not agree with current western subspecies boundaries based on phenotypic data. Our results suggest that eastern and western warbling vireos have been reproductively isolated for a long period of time and therefore may be best treated as separate species. However, more research into areas of contact to examine the presence of hybridization is advised before making a taxonomic revision. Differences between the two western genetic groups appear less clear, requiring additional research.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back