• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vortex Razor HD 65 with 16-48x instead of Nikon ED82 + ED50 for general use..? (1 Viewer)

The Kingfisher

I have both the Nikon ED82 and the ED50 with three eyepieces (16x/30x, 27x/50x and 13-40x/25-75x). I like them both very much, but non of them are really perfect for me, I think.

The little ED50 is great with the 16x attached to it. I really like the low power because it´s easy to scan the surroundings with such a low mag, easy to find birds in the sky etc..but sometimes I need higher magnification than 16x. The 27x eyepiece is OK when its sunny - otherwise the ED50 gets a little bit to dark to be comfortable to use. I prefer the zoom over the 27x, but the zoom has bad eye relief and a small field of view.

The ED82 is large and heavy..but has very good optics. With the 30x eyepiece it´s very nice to use - sometimes though..I miss both higher and lower magnification. It is a hazzle to change eyepieces back and forth and if the zoom is attached I miss the great field of view and the better ER of the 30x DS.

I have tried the Opticron MM3 60 ED with the SDLV-zoom. It was a nice package, but not opticaly as good as the Nikon ED82.

I would like to have "alpha-class" optics in a relatively light scope which also should be useful in dawn/dusk. Could the Vortex Razor HD 65 with 16-48x be the scope for me to buy?

I have unfortunately not had the chance to try it yet. But on paper it´s lighter than the ED82, the zoom has better ER and FOV (I think..) than the Nikon-zoom, no need to change eyepieces, the zoom range (16-48x) seems to be almost prefect and it will be brighter than the ED50 at higher powers. Do you think the Vortex Razor HD 65 with the 16-48x zoom can replace my ED82 + ED50 for general use?

I will not sell my Nikon scopes..the ED50 can still be used when I need a really small scope (when traveling etc). The ED82 would maybe be superfluous, but sell?..no no! :)

Last edited:
Kingfisher,

If you weren't satisfied with the Opticron MM3 60 mm with SDL V2 zoom then the Razor 65 isn't going to satisfy you either.

I am afraid you gonna have to buy the Swaro ATX 65 ...There is guy in Spain selling one ,a demo,in the spanish digiscoping forum and the price is excellent.He is very serious and makes digiscoping adapters for all kind of cameras and scopes..I dont know the price of the razor 65 ,but might be worth to push it an extra grand and be done for good...plus the modular system is always open to get more aperture if you want in the future.

I'd also consider a post 2009 Swaro ATS/STS 65mm HD scope, before the ATX/STX range arguably (by some), the best "small" scope.

Looking at House of Outdoors reviews the coatings were improved around 2009.

Thanks for answers!

I have tried the Swarro ATS with 25-50x, but got black outs with that eyepiece. Also..the zoom range starts at 25x - I would like to have lower power..like 16x or so. I think 20x will be OK to. Maybe I will try the Opticron MM3 60 once more. I had two specimen at home that I tried - one of them was sharper than the other. Unfortunately..the focus wheel on the sharper one was not perfect from start..and got worse with time. I had to send it back to the dealer.

Kingfisher,

Give the HDF zoom a go too. I actually prefer it to the SDL V2 but I know others who prefer the opposite. Just a thought.

I had a 16-48x65 Vortex Razor, and thought it was going to be a great all around scope. Now someone else has it and I still have the Fieldscope 50 ED and the Fieldscope 82; with the 13-40/ 25-75x zoom and a 16x/24xDS fixed. Also have the small 11-30x zoom for ED 50. The optics to me are quite a bit better than the Vortex Razor.

I recently spent a lot of time ( 3+ weeks ) testing the Fieldscope 82 ED against a 2011 Swarovski 20-60x80 STM HD, and a Meopta made Cabelas euro HD 20-70x82 ( just like the S2 Meopta). And to cut to the chase, my samples being tested showed me how great the Fieldscope is. The Nikon was the sharpest and brightest; and this was at all times of day and light conditions. It picked up and focused better on the tiniest details that the others were a bit shy of being as sharp. I tested and re-tested to confirm, and each time the Nikon was the resolution winner. It was close, but the differences stayed consistent. Somewhat surprised me, but it did show me how great that Nikon Fieldscope is.

It is a real shame that Nikon discontinued that model, and also that it never stepped up and delivered on a wider FOV on their zooms. Instead they came out with that lunker EDG.

The Vortex Razor is not bad- but to my eyes it is not a true big league scope. Even when I had a fixed Swaro 30x (24x on the Razor) EP on it. Was good, but left me wanting. Also the Vortex Razor 16-48x65 weighed almost 52oz on my digital scale with the EP and obj covers attached- so only about 3.5oz less than the Swaro 20-60x80 STM HD weighed. And the Swaro 65 is quite a bit lighter than that.

Just my thoughts on this matter. IMO- your Nikons will outshine the Vortex Razor 65. Even though it is a hassle to switch EP. If you want a great all around zoom spotter- pick up the flavor of Swarovski that you fancy.

Or look Around for something like a kowa 603 ,or even the 613 ,,even the 663 is pretty compact and ligh...They have excellent fixed power eyepieces and i think you can use opticron zooms on them...and of course,you have a number of nikon ED 60 models to choose..from the excellent(excellent) EDIII,costing around 400/500 euros ,to older versions that you can find for very little money

Thanks for answers!

I have tried the Swarro ATS with 25-50x, but got black outs with that eyepiece. Also..the zoom range starts at 25x - I would like to have lower power..like 16x or so. I think 20x will be OK to. Maybe I will try the Opticron MM3 60 once more. I had two specimen at home that I tried - one of them was sharper than the other. Unfortunately..the focus wheel on the sharper one was not perfect from start..and got worse with time. I had to send it back to the dealer.

I got blackouts with the 25-50x in the beginning also, but it got better getting used to it.
It actually can be due to getting too close to the ocular lens. Try turning up the eye cup if not using glasses.
As usual ER varies a bit over the range, and is best at 25x and 50x

The ATX is still a bit more comfortable, but the extra money and weight is IMO not worth it, if not planning to buy a 85/95mm also...

The 20-60x EP might be an alternative. But the 25-50x seems more reasonable to me.
It's sharp up to 50x, but looses some brightness of course.

Less mag will generally give you less AFOV. The 25-50x have 50-70° AFOV and I think that is perfect,
no problem seeing the whole FOV without having to move your eye around.
Any 20-60x (or 16-48x) will have less AFOV and a more tubelike view.
Don't think it's bad, just different, and probably more about what you prefer or are used to.

A bigger FOV can be of interest, but edge sharpness will be affected.
I had the ED50 + 20x that gave 3,4° FOV, impressive but with globe effect and a bent field.
A larger exit pupil can be valuable but I think it's more about objective diameter and transmission if you want good performance in low light.
The ATS65 performs very well in low light at 25x.

Concerning the Vortex razor, compared to your ED82 + a fixed EP I suspect that you will be disappointed.
I have tried the Vortex Razor 85mm and wasn't impressed (not considering the price aspect though).

Also consider the secondhand value, service level, warranty and style of focus mechanism.

Last edited:
I have the Vortex 65 and am very happy with it. I have many times looked through the Swaro ATS 65 and find it comparable. For the price, I think it is very good. Those are my eyes and my views. Everyone sees things differently.

16-48x sounds very good for a zoom. Many times I get tired of using binoculars for long periods to scan for birds. But I love to use the scope I have at low power. Very bright views.
Looks quite good
http://www.eagleoptics.com/spotting-scopes/vortex/vortex-razor-hd-16-48x65-angled-spotting-scope
but if I were spending that much money for a scope I guess I would also look at the 85mm one.

Many times I struggle with shore birds and distant ducks. Just need to get a smaller lake

Just wanted to share some backyard bird pics I took this afternoon with the MM3 60 mm with HDF zoom at 45x and my IPhone.

Attachments

• cogr.jpg
    cogr.jpg
    264 KB · Views: 187
  • femalehousefinch.jpg
    femalehousefinch.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 131
  • housefinch.jpg
    housefinch.jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 190
  • malehousefinch.jpg
    malehousefinch.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 159
  • redwing.jpg
    redwing.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 185
Nice digiscoping pics, Frank! :t:

I will probably give the Opticron MM3 60 ED with the SDL V2 zoom, a second chance. It is not necessary that the optics must be as good as Nikon ED50/ED82 - as long as it is sharp throughout the entire zoom range, handles CA well and do not show any obvious color cast..it's OK. The most important thing for me is, after all, that the zoom eyepiece has generous eye relief (I have glasses). If I'm not mistaken, I did not have any problems using the MM3 60 with glasses last time I tried the scope. That along with a nice zoom range, brighter and more generous field of view than the ED50 can offer..while it is still relatively compact and light sounds perfect.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts once the new unit arrives and thank you for the compliment on the pics. The neat part is that, other than cropping out the vignetting, the photos aren't processed at all. I tinkered with them afterwards to make them pop more but wanted to share the originals above.

Ok..today I got my new Opticron MM3 60 ED with the 15-45x SDL V2 eyepiece. I have been using it for a couple of hours in the middle of the day today. It is a sunny day here in Sweden with some heat shimmer. First I thought that the Opticron scope maybe was a little bit softer than my old Nikon ED50 with 13-40x eyepiece. But after a side by side test it's clear that the Opticron is the better/sharper one of the two. The field of view at 15x is a bit narrow..otherwise I think the Opticron MM3 60 ED is a perfect birding scope for my needs. The weight and size of it is good, the optical qualities are very nice (rather sharp all the way up to 45x, seems to handle CA fine and better than the ED50, rather bright, nice colors = nikon colors), the dual focus system seems to work as it should, its a beautiful scope and it is a great match with my tripod and videohead, it's affordable etc. The Opticron MM3 60 ED will from now on be my primary scope for everyday use..and the Nikon ED50/ED82 will only be used at special occasions I think. Very pleased with my purchase so far! :)

Ok..today I got my new Opticron MM3 60 ED with the 15-45x SDL V2 eyepiece. I have been using it for a couple of hours in the middle of the day today. It is a sunny day here in Sweden with some heat shimmer. First I thought that the Opticron scope maybe was a little bit softer than my old Nikon ED50 with 13-40x eyepiece. But after a side by side test it's clear that the Opticron is the better/sharper one of the two. The field of view at 15x is a bit narrow..otherwise I think the Opticron MM3 60 ED is a perfect birding scope for my needs. The weight and size of it is good, the optical qualities are very nice (rather sharp all the way up to 45x, seems to handle CA fine and better than the ED50, rather bright, nice colors = nikon colors), the dual focus system seems to work as it should, its a beautiful scope and it is a great match with my tripod and videohead, it's affordable etc. The Opticron MM3 60 ED will from now on be my primary scope for everyday use..and the Nikon ED50/ED82 will only be used at special occasions I think. Very pleased with my purchase so far! :)

:t::t:

After a few hours more I am still (or even more) pleased with my purchase. 60mm vs 50mm makes a big difference - the Opticron is bright at maximum power (45x) on a sunny/clear day as today..that's not the case with the ED50 at 40x power. I am really happy that the MM3 60 seems to be a good speciman (both optically and the focus), because one never know what to get when buying over internet like I did this time! :)

I compared the Opticron MM3 60 ED against the Nikon ED50 again..and I actually think that the ED50 is a little bit sharper after all. But it is marginally and quite insignificant in practice. I prefer to use the ED50 with 13-40x at the low end of the zoom, but at higher power I prefer the Opticron MM3 60. The better eye relief and the brighter image in the Opticron makes it much more comfortable to use than the little Nikon at high powers..and I also think that I see birds better/clearer even though it may not be quite as sharp (it is sharp enough anyway) as the Nikon. I'm still happy with my choice, I can say.. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back