• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vote for the most famous BF bino contributor (2 Viewers)

With no wish to offend or steer this post elsewhere, like Brock I would have used a different word than "famous" in the title.

I would have asked for the "haughtiest".

This would I feel be a "singular" list.

Wow! This is a difficult one.

FrankD and mooreorless have been the most helpful to me personally (mostly via PMs). Then there's ol' Brock. Always entertaining. Anyone figure out yet if he is indeed part Klingon?

My vote for the most famous goes to FrankD. He has tried out and posted numerous reviews on a large variety of binoculars. It takes a newcomer to the (sub)forums only a couple of searches to figure out that the posts to look for are Frank's if you are looking for detailed, understandable & informative posts - that are respected by all. There are names that stand amongst the crowd for many reasons (good reasons!!!), but I think Frank's name would be the first to come to mind for many of us and not just on this forum

Last edited:
My vote for the most famous goes to FrankD. He has tried out and posted numerous reviews on a large variety of binoculars. It takes a newcomer to the (sub)forums only a couple of searches to figure out that the posts to look for are Frank's if you are looking for detailed, understandable & informative posts - that are respected by all. There are names that stand amongst the crowd for many reasons (good reasons!!!), but I think Frank's name would be the first to come to mind for many of us and not just on this forum

Hear! Hear! He was in the running, but I ranked him second because he rarely answers my PMs. He probably needs a social secretary with all the correspondence he gets for advice about bins.

But he also deserves the accolade because after going through a painful divorce, he dusted himself off, got back on his feet, started a new life with a new wife and new bins, and w/out bitterness he just kept doing what Frank does - looking for the best optics at the best price - a valuable asset to most of us these days who are pinching our pennies.

Plus, obviously the ladies like him. :)

<B>

Brock,

You just brought a tear to my eye. ;) ...and I always answer your PMs. :)

Thank you to everyone that mentioned me. I certainly feel grateful but far from popular. I just love optics and discussing them with all of you. This place is my daily retreat from life. ;)

Seconded. These three have a lot of technical knowledge and know how to explain complex concepts in clear language. And, unlike one prolific poster mentioned several times in this thread, they clearly try to be as objective as possible in their postings.

Which leads to an interesting question: Who is the most infamous bino contributor? I know who I'd vote for even though I don't read his stuff first hand anymore.

Ignore lists are a good thing.

Hermann
Henry reminds of the kid in school who was the "Know it All". You know the kid that was an expert in EVERY area. No matter what you were talking about he knew more than you about it. You know what I mean. You could be a brain surgeon but the "Know it All" kid would know more about the brain than you do. If Henry is such an optics genius why isn't he a consultant for Nikon?

Last edited:
Henry reminds of the kid in school who was the "Know it All". You know the kid that was an expert in EVERY area. No matter what you were talking about he knew more than you about it. You know what I mean. You could be a brain surgeon but the "Know it All" kid would know more about the brain than you do. If Henry is such an optics genius why isn't he a consultant for Nikon?

I can't answer your question except to say that it can't be for the same reason that you are not a consultant for Dale Carnegie.:smoke:

Bob

Brock,

You just brought a tear to my eye. ;) ...and I always answer your PMs. :)

Thank you to everyone that mentioned me. I certainly feel grateful but far from popular. I just love optics and discussing them with all of you. This place is my daily retreat from life. ;)
Frank, i hear you on the retreat! And i will put a vote in for you as well! I enjoy itwhen you find a new bin and feel the need to bring it to all our attention! Most of the time i whole heartedly agree with your assements! I wish i had the time and resources to continue doing so myself but alas time has caught up with me and things just aren't like they used to be! Bryce...

Henry Link usually knows what he's talking about because he usually writes about topics that he has spent some time thinking about and investigating empirically. I find the information he provides very useful because I make my own assessments of optics (as he often invites his audience to do). I have found his posts educational as a source of methods to test optics in order to dissect and understand the component bases of their overall optical "personalities" and thus to learn what qualities I most appreciate. Consequently, I am a more efficient judge of binoculars than I used to be, so can more quickly identify the models I prefer and sort the cherry units from the others. I like his posts because they have practical value for making my own judgments.

--AP

Henry Link usually knows what he's talking about because he usually writes about topics that he has spent some time thinking about and investigating empirically. I find the information he provides very useful because I make my own assessments of optics (as he often invites his audience to do). I have found his posts educational as a source of methods to test optics in order to dissect and understand the component bases of their overall optical "personalities" and thus to learn what qualities I most appreciate. Consequently, I am a more efficient judge of binoculars than I used to be, so can more quickly identify the models I prefer and sort the cherry units from the others. I like his posts because they have practical value for making my own judgments.

--AP
It's just my opinion. It's just the style of how his posts are written. It's like there is no room for discussion. It's almost like God or Ceasar is talking. You know "Let it be said let it be done". To be honest it irritates me. Then everybody on Bird Forum gets down on there knees and agrees with him because they don't know enough to argue with him and alot of times he's blowing smoke. Oh wonderful post Henry I just wish I could understand what you are talking about blah blah blah. You know what I mean. That's why I enjoy it when Dr. Edz blows holes in his theories. I am sure if some of the engineers from Nikon or Swarovski would post on this forum they would embarrass Henry and show the world he doesn't know everything about binoculars. You know it's just his attitude like Nikon Or Swarovski should use this eyepiece or do this and their binocular would be better. I am sure they would have thought of his ideas but in reality they probably are not possible or they wouldn't work in a real production binocular. Sometimes he acts like Nikon and Swarovski are stupid in fact. Makes me laugh.

Last edited:
I agree. Franks has a good eye and the uncanny ability to recognize good optics. Every binocular he has recommended and I have tried have been excellent. He shoud be a consultant for these review websites like Allbinos.

It's just my opinion. It's just the style of how his posts are written. It's like there is no room for discussion. It's almost like God or Ceasar is talking. You know "Let it be said let it be done". To be honest it irritates me. Then everybody on Bird Forum gets down on there knees and agrees with him because they don't know enough to argue with him and alot of times he's blowing smoke. Oh wonderful post Henry I just wish I could understand what you are talking about blah blah blah. You know what I mean. That's why I enjoy it when Dr. Edz blows holes in his theories. I am sure if some of the engineers from Nikon or Swarovski would post on this forum they would embarrass Henry and show the world he doesn't know everything about binoculars. You know it's just his attitude like Nikon Or Swarovski should use this eyepiece or do this and their binocular would be better. I am sure they would have thought of his ideas but in reality they probably are not possible or they wouldn't work in a real production binocular. Sometimes he acts like Nikon and Swarovski are stupid in fact. Makes me laugh.

:C Petty and mean-spirited, and you'd be joining in his praise if Henry happened to think Nikon EDG II 8x32 were the best binocular in the world. Or are they?

David

I agree. Franks has a good eye and the uncanny ability to recognize good optics. Every binocular he has recommended and I have tried have been excellent. He shoud be a consultant for these review websites like Allbinos.

Thank you Dennis. I do feel I have agood eye assuming I have a good sample.

Honestly though, I wish I knew a tenth of what Henry does. Part of it is pure design and theoretical knowledge. That I can learn eventually. The other aspect is experience with a variety of models. I have experience with many of the newer models especially in the mid price range and have recently started trying classic porros but there are so many models and designs that Henry utilized and understands...

I am a mole hill to his mountain.

I respect Henry and his contributions and do hope that the previous comments don't deter him from posting his thoughts further.

On the other hand I think Henry put Dennis on his ignore list so maybe he hasn't seen any of this. ;)

:C Petty and mean-spirited, and you'd be joining in his praise if Henry happened to think Nikon EDG II 8x32 were the best binocular in the world. Or are they?

David
I am not being mean It's just honestly how I feel. Henry never admits he doesn't know something like the rest of us. Franks is extremely knowledgeable about binoculars but yet he admits all the time he doesn't know EVERYTHING.He has an air of humility about his posts.

Jealousy rears it's ugly head........
I am not jealous. There are alot of things even in the optics field that I know that Henry doesn't know but I am humble enough to admit there are some things I don't know. It just irritates me sometimes how everybody excepts everything he says as a fact. They don't even question it. Except maybe Brock or Dr.EDz. I appreciate his posts also but there alot of other people on this forum who are just as knowledgeable and in fact know more than Henry about some areas of optics. Brock has ALOT of knowledge about binoculars and optics and shouldn't underate himself as he always does. He obviously know alot of stuff that Henry doesn't.

No disrespect to anyone, but the only eyes that count to me are my own. They are the only two I'm ever going to look through a set of binoculars with. There's no need to over think, look through the optic and see if it's any good.

Bruce

Last edited:
Good point. But some people who post on this forum can save you alot of time and money. They test alot more binoculars than the normal person so just taking their recommendation is a fast and cheap way to some excellent binoculars. Trust thier eyes.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back