• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wader I.D (2 Viewers)

I had the (mis)fortune to see lots of both is loosely mixed flocks and found them exteremly difficult at times - the size difference was almost useless if both were not present - call however was very helpful. I've seen Greater at close range and then they're really easy - it was summer mind.

As Spud alluded to there aren't many plumage diffs and they're not that much use if birds are distant or you don't have a scope with you. I started taking notes on a few birds but the lack of observable plumage diffs soon made this a little futile!

The long sword-like bill of the right hand bird is typical of Greater yellowlegs, and the other birds all seem the same size, making them Greaters too. The bill length can vary, and apparently 1st winter birds can have relatively shorter bills. One thing you can often go on is that in Lessers, the bill is thinner and more delicate, and in Greaters, its thicker and heavier-looking, as in these birds.

Richard.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back