• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wader Singapore Feb 2024 (1 Viewer)

viator

Singapore
Hi, Thoughts on the rear bird behind the Tibetan Sand Plovers. Seems to have white tail except tip and a longer bill and different wing pattern than the other birds.

Thanks in advance

Edit: think the other birds are Calidris rather than Sand Plovers

Attachments

• _DSC0262.jpg
    _DSC0262.jpg
    474.9 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
I don't find that bird clearly different from the others. My first guess for all of them would be sanderling.

With a longer, thinner bill and apparently white rump, the rear bird certainly looks different to the Charadrius sand plovers. A Tringa perhaps?

With a longer, thinner bill and apparently white rump, the rear bird certainly looks different to the Charadrius sand plovers. A Tringa perhaps?
Wouldn't sandplovers now be in Anarhynchus not Charadrius? The rear bird's rump isn't white, it's the side of the tail that is visible. And its bill is the same as others in the group so I agree with Butty that they are all the same species.

Last edited:
Mike,

I appreciate your interpretation (which reminds me to effect the necessary changes to The Key – wearing my Cornell BOW hat). However, on the other hand, for my own personal list (having seen true Anarhynchus in NZ and lots of Charadrius around the world) I cannot quite reconcile the absorption of many Charadrius into Anarhynchus. Perhaps I have been birding for too long and should now attempt to enter the 21st century!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back