• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wader's wing bars (2 Viewers)

Gerry Hooper said:
If I was going to be serious for a moment ....steady on this doesn't happen too often...I'd say that starlings are more vocal than most , so they might keep in contact with calls,rather than wing bars.Many other species use contact calls of course. Starlings spring to mind coz of the noise the big flocks make.
Another factor to add into the meling pot of theories.
Hi Gerry,

They're noisy when perched, but generally silent in flight . . . stranger yet!

Michael

Hi Michael,
'Actually, come to think of it, most of the flocking finches have wingbars - it seems to be mainly solitary species that don't go in for wingbars much'
On the subject of wingbars,it's a little strange that these are shown by quite a few eastern Phylloscopus warblers,not all of which necessarily have a common ancestor(Yellow-browed,Hume's,Pallas's,Arctic,Greenish,Eastern and Western Crowned,and even some tristis Chiffs,and probably more?),while the species that breed in western Europe lack them.
I concede,however,that Asia is obviously the ancestral home of the genus(far higher species diversity there),and very few breed in Western Europe,and may derive from a limited genepool of colonists?
Harry H

Hi Harry,

I think your last bit has it - Asia is where they're from, and has the greatest diversity. There's wingbarless Radde's and Dusky ** and several others over there as well . . .

(** these two seem to be to some extent ecological counterparts of Sylvia warblers, which are a west Pal group that don't occur in east Asia)

Michael

Hi Michael,
Michael Frankis said:
Hi Harry,

I think your last bit has it - Asia is where they're from, and has the greatest diversity. There's wingbarless Radde's and Dusky ** and several others over there as well . . .

I agree,and note that I said that wingbars are shown by 'quite a few' species,not all!Fully aware that Radde's and Dusky lack them.
While I haven't seen Dusky(though I'm well aware of its habits),I can certainly see what you mean by Radde's being almost an ecological counterpart of the Sylvia warblers: it hardly flits about like a typical Phylloscopus....

(** these two seem to be to some extent ecological counterparts of Sylvia warblers, which are a west Pal group that don't occur in east Asia)

What about Lesser Whitethroat?;)
Harry H

Hi Harry,

Harry Hussey said:
What about Lesser Whitethroat?;)
Could say that's a bit like Greenish Warbler in the other direction - it gets a long way east in central Asia, but not really into 'true' east Asia, it doesn't breed anywhere within 1300-1400 km of the Pacific, just like Greenish doesn't breed anywhere within about the same distance of the Atlantic.

Guess the significant barrier is summer rainfall - LW gets as far east as warm, dry summer conditions extend, but not into the ocean-influenced summer monsoon areas that define 'east Asia'.

Michael

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back