• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wallflowers on a church wall (1 Viewer)

Karl J

Spotted these today on Winterton church which I assume are some sort of Wallflower so probably common enough but i just thought they were interesting...

Amazing how they can grow up there isn't it

(bit of a smudgy lens problem in a couple of places tho')

Attachments

• wallflower2.jpg
    wallflower2.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 135
  • wallflower.jpg
    wallflower.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 143
  • wallflower5.jpg
    wallflower5.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 120
  • winterton.jpg
    winterton.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 108
Karl J said:
Spotted these today on Winterton church which I assume are some sort of Wallflower so probably common enough but i just thought they were interesting...

Amazing how they can grow up there isn't it

I have been admiring these photographs for some days. Wallflowers are common enough on old walls but clearly this is a really good, long-established population - and of 'wild-type' plants rather than modern garden forms. Another year I must go to see them for myself.

As for their being able to grow high up on the tower, this is interesting in itself. The seeds are reputedly distributed by ants and, if so, ants are climbing a long way or they, themselves, are living up with the wallflowers. Which species of ant I wonder?

Alan

P.S. Just to be up to date, the Wallflower is now Erysimum cheiri.
I doubt that the Wallflowers care!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back