• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Warbler 2 - Cyprus (2 Viewers)

DoghouseRiley

Hi All

Not sure about this. Immediate though was Lesser Whitethroat but the breast is buffish/grey. The eye is brown. So I looked elsewhere.....

I think it is a female Sardinian Warbler. Brownish eye, lower bill is grey.

Thanks, Gareth

Attachments

• CY13.jpg
    CY13.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 155
Note dark ear-coverts and dark legs.
I am hoping the dark legs are nmot deal breaker because my one has pink legs when you zoom right into it.

I have had a closer look at female Sardinian Warbler's and unlike Collins, most pictures show a more subdued red eye, similar to the male.

It really is pink
It's black not pink, it is a lesser whitethroat as Butty said. You can see both legs in the picture, the leg further back is clearly black and the one at the forefront is also black, though it does look slightly coloured because of the lighting.

Edit- Also no sign of a red/subdued red eyering that you would expect on a female Sardinian warbler. Female Sardinian warblers do not show darker ear-coverts.

I am hoping the dark legs are nmot deal breaker because my one has pink legs when you zoom right into it.

I have had a closer look at female Sardinian Warbler's and unlike Collins, most pictures show a more subdued red eye, similar to the male.
Not the best shot but a Female Sard which is extremely common on the Island and yours is not one.

Attachments

• DSC_9525.JPG
    17.8 MB · Views: 19
The OP (ie post #1) has a rather diffuse eye mask to me and the throat is also less distinctly bordered than I'd normally expect from a Lesser. Also get a rufous look to the wing/mantle area so far as we can see it. So I can see the confusion with Common. But it could all be accounted for by the lighting, so on balance, Lesser for me too.

I was talking about the weblink (post #10) but I didn't notice it was taken in the UK. If it is a CW it has an awfully short primary projection.
The OP bird is definitely a Lesser Whitethroat.
Sorry about the confusion (and my hasty judgement on the weblink bird)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back