• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Warbler, Colombia Pacific (1 Viewer)

TomFriedel

Colombia
Hi all,
I took this photo a few years ago, and thought it might be a Common Yellowthroat female. I was never 100% sure, and I just passed it off to Google Images, and it came back with MacGillivray's Warbler. Of course Google Images has no location information, so that makes their ID process much more difficult. The latter species has never been recorded in Colombia. Google also has no context information, such as that this bird stayed close to the ground. Can anyone say for sure if it is or is not a Common Yellowthroat?

thanks in advance, here is the link

Hi Tom, just noticed this one now while filtering old posts for "Colombia". It's a Mourning Warbler, almost certainly a young female based on the yellowish throat. Young ones more frequently show these eye arcs that are reminiscent of a MacGillivray's but more narrow. Plumage differences are subtle but note the more uniform olive-colouring of both the upperparts and belly and the shade of pale greyish on the lower cheek bleeding into the throat, both more appropriate for Mourning. As you know, Common Yellowthroat is also a fairly rare bird for Colombia.

Hi Tom, just noticed this one now while filtering old posts for "Colombia". It's a Mourning Warbler, almost certainly a young female based on the yellowish throat. Young ones more frequently show these eye arcs that are reminiscent of a MacGillivray's but more narrow. Plumage differences are subtle but note the more uniform olive-colouring of both the upperparts and belly and the shade of pale greyish on the lower cheek bleeding into the throat, both more appropriate for Mourning. As you know, Common Yellowthroat is also a fairly rare bird for Colombia.
Thanks! I think you are right. I don't know why I didn't see that, because I've seen Mourning Warblers a few times in Colombia.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back