• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Warbler? I.D (1 Viewer)

AdamT

Amateur Photographer
I think that this is a warbler of some kind, any ideas?
thanks. Adam

Attachments

• warbler.JPG
    warbler.JPG
    103.9 KB · Views: 307
  • warbler_2.JPG
    warbler_2.JPG
    98.1 KB · Views: 233
Hi Adam,

I'd say it is a newly fledged Chiffchaff.

The dark legs and dull colour distinguish it from Willow Warbler (that would be a brighter yellow on the breast at this age)

Michael

I think this is a fledgling Willow Warbler. It looks too yellow for a Chiffchaff to me and the legs and bill both seem too pale. As far as I can see only the flanks lack clear yellow tones and these might still be mostly down rather than 'proper' feathers. It would be odd for a young Chiffchaff to be so yellow on the throat.

Dave

Hi Dave,

Hardy looks yellow to me at all, and what there is, I suspect may be the colour balance - the Ash leaves look a bit brighter & yellower to me than I'd expect Ash leaves to look at this time of year

Michael

I've never seen a Chiffchaff with that much yellow on it. Looks very much like a Willow Warbler to me. Weird the difference a monitor makes isn't it.

Looks like a Willow Warbler to me, at least going by the leg colour. Most Willow Warblers this age seem to have a bit more yellow on the breast than this bird, but it still looks to have too much yellow for a Chiffchaff.

Hi guys,

Amazing how the Chiff/Willow saga just keeps on going isn't it? I think we all agree it's one or the other and monitor resolution etc. will make everyone have a slightly different opinion. My tip is, if in the future you are taking pics of cute little fledglings, just wait an extra 5 mins and snap the parents when they come to feed it! Make the fledgling ID ten times easier!!

Best regards,

P.S. I think it's a Chiffchaff. The overall "not so green" tone makes me go for Chiff. I've seen young Willows this season and they certainly seem to be more green in general tone. I also think the legs are too dark....still, who knows?? ;)

I have seen the pictures on 4 different monitors now and have to say that changing the tone really doesn't make a whole bunch of difference to anything, it's still a Willow Warbler!
The amount of Chiff/Willow debates could well lead to some obscure multi-national phyllosc civil war, anybody else got any photos? ;)

Could be a hybrid Iberian Chiffer x Willow Warbler......There's been enough claims for 'Ibe' this year.

I wouldn't like to comment on which species this bird is, but would just like to say, that, on my monitor at least, it has a very clear primrose throat, and distinctly yellowy-pinky feet (if not entire legs).
James

I did once see and hear a bird with pinkish legs "chiffchaffing" away merrily. Possibly a hybrid of some kind, or maybe you can't always rely on leg colour?

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back