• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Warbler? Warwickshire UK (1 Viewer)

OldFatherTime

United Kingdom
I took this in my local wood. I thought I was taking a picture of a blackcap, but when I eventually came to look at the photo, it doesn't look like one. All brown head? Is it just a common bird in strange illumination?

Attachments

• IMG_0192_cropped.JPG
    IMG_0192_cropped.JPG
    338.2 KB · Views: 93
Hello,
do you have more pictures?

I must admit, my first gut feeling was Garden Wabler, but when loking at the picture for a longer time, this changed into an Chiffchaff:
  • thanks Butty!
  • the colours seems better for this, too dark, brownish (even oliveish) for a Garden Warbler. Is this just the light?
  • yes, size is hard to judge (thanks gain Butty!), but the bird seems really small and dainty, better for a Chiffchaff.
Yes, if forced I would ID your bird as a Chiffchaff, but biased by your first gut feeling of Blackcap (was it the song?), I hope for more pictures.

Sorry, no more photos (if I did perhaps I wouldn't have needed to post!). I took this so I could id the bird later on - so that worked out well :confused:. There were Blackcaps around so I kind of assumed this was one but since I couldn't see it clearly I took the picture.

The woods abound with Blackcaps and Chiffchaffs. We do also get a few Garden Warblers, although I get the feeling these are later arrivals.

The appearance of an all-brown head threw me, I still can't see a bird I recognise, but I know that lighting conditions can be really misleading. Probably Chiffchaff sounds right. Thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back