• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Warblers, Northern Virginia, US (October 1, 2023) (1 Viewer)

howiewu

Hi, I took these in Norther Virginia -- lousy picture, which is why I am asking here. My guesses --

1. The angle is awkward, but I think I can see white wing bars and a black eye line and some rusty wash on the flanks -- Bay-breasted Warbler?
2. A bit stumped, prominent wing bars, and overall very yellow; unfortunately its face turned the other way, but from what I can see, there does not seem to be a lot of facial marking. I almost wanted to say Blackpoll, but feet color isn't right. Pine Warbler, maybe?
3. Also stumped, it seems to be very drab, with prominent white wing bars, ???

Thanks in advance,
Howard

Attachments

• warbler1.jpg
    warbler1.jpg
    225 KB · Views: 59
  • warbler2.jpg
    warbler2.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 59
  • warbler3.jpg
    warbler3.jpg
    302.1 KB · Views: 59
All three look like Bay-breasted/Blackpoll to me. Like you suggested, I lean towards Bay-breasted for the first one given the warmer underpart color with no streaking. Conversely, I would tend towards Blackpoll for the other two, given heavier streaking and a stronger olive green cast. It can be a tricky species pair, though, and I'm not 100% sure with these photos!

All three look like Bay-breasted/Blackpoll to me. Like you suggested, I lean towards Bay-breasted for the first one given the warmer underpart color with no streaking. Conversely, I would tend towards Blackpoll for the other two, given heavier streaking and a stronger olive green cast. It can be a tricky species pair, though, and I'm not 100% sure with these photos!
Agree with all of this. #2 is quite difficult to differentiate the two candidate species. I wouldn't want to say either way on that one. But, #1 looks like Bay-breasted and #3 looks like Blackpoll.

It has been my understanding that Blackpoll does not always have yellow feet, although they usually do.
According to Kaufmann, all Blackpolls at least have the soles of their feet yellow, but we can't see that here.

Also, I think I see the undertail coverts contrasting with the belly on #2, which is a mark for Blackpoll

The first could be Bay-breasted. The last bird can't be a Bay-breasted due to the streaking on the sides of the breast.
Not sure about the second bird. That's the best I can do.

Hi, I took these in Norther Virginia -- lousy picture, which is why I am asking here. My guesses --

1. The angle is awkward, but I think I can see white wing bars and a black eye line and some rusty wash on the flanks -- Bay-breasted Warbler?
2. A bit stumped, prominent wing bars, and overall very yellow; unfortunately its face turned the other way, but from what I can see, there does not seem to be a lot of facial marking. I almost wanted to say Blackpoll, but feet color isn't right. Pine Warbler, maybe?
3. Also stumped, it seems to be very drab, with prominent white wing bars, ???

Thanks in advance,
Howard
Howard,

The first is a Bay-breasted - no streaks on breast/flanks and warm color on flanks. The third is a Blackpoll due to the streaks on a mainly white breast/flanks. The second photo is a not so good (although there is a suggestion of streaks on the flanks) so one can be safe and call it a Baypoll.

Kurt

Howard,

The first is a Bay-breasted - no streaks on breast/flanks and warm color on flanks. The third is a Blackpoll due to the streaks on a mainly white breast/flanks. The second photo is a not so good (although there is a suggestion of streaks on the flanks) so one can be safe and call it a Baypoll.

Kurt
Yes I think the apparent streaks on 2 may be just the way the feathers are lying/light shining and not actual streaks. If so, I think that makes it better for bay-breasted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back