• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Warsaw, Poland, 09.10 (1 Viewer)

It's 3 to 3 now, but I'm leaning towards Goshawk (deep breast, relatively long neck in 3.2, more pronounced shape of the trailing edge). Interestingly, I first thought it might have been a Goshawk (given the deep breast, which was about my only argument for it, though), but then I proactively 'downgraded' it to a Sparrowhawk.

EDIT: Bird of Prey ID. West Midlands, UK. is what I found about the hips of Goshawks and Sparrowhawks

EDIT 2: How can you tell it's a juvenile from these photos? Is it because of the brownish suffusion over the breast and belly (which is shown in Blasco Zumeta's ringing guide, for instance)?

Attachments

• 02670_Accipiter_gentilis_E.pdf
    8.2 MB · Views: 14
Last edited:
It's 3 to 3 now, but I'm leaning towards Goshawk (deep breast, relatively long neck in 3.2, more pronounced shape of the trailing edge). Interestingly, I first thought it might have been a Goshawk (given the deep breast, which was about my only argument for it, though), but then I proactively 'downgraded' it to a Sparrowhawk.

EDIT: Bird of Prey ID. West Midlands, UK. is what I found about the hips of Goshawks and Sparrowhawks

EDIT 2: How can you tell it's a juvenile from these photos? Is it because of the brownish suffusion over the breast and belly (which is shown in Blasco Zumeta's ringing guide, for instance)?
As well as being browner, juv Goshawk has vertical not horizontal breast, dashes.

One more for juvenile Gos. The hips only look narrow to me when the bird is at an angle and seem fine when overhead. Head size/ shape is perfect.

As an aside, I've just checked that Merlin's Photo ID--which, from what I understand, should be better at judging jizz than fine plumage features--is (also) split 4 to 4, but birds in better photos are more likely to be ID'ed as Goshawks, and, conversely, more distant shots are said to show a Sparrowhawk (the most blurry picture being apparently unidentifiable).

I didn't initially intend it as an aside to the other thread, but this bird should be in the realm of Sparrowhawk as well, from what I understand.

EDIT: Just in case, I did demote it back from Goshawk to Accipiter sp. a while ago already, now aiming to log it in as a Sparrowhawk.

Last edited:
What about the (seeming) slimness in some pictures?

EDIT: Is the orange hue compatible with 2cy or was it a typo (1cy)?

Last edited:
As an aside, I've just checked that Merlin's Photo ID--which, from what I understand, should be better at judging jizz than fine plumage features--is (also) split 4 to 4, but birds in better photos are more likely to be ID'ed as Goshawks, and, conversely, more distant shots are said to show a Sparrowhawk (the most blurry picture being apparently unidentifiable).
merlin never used it as it seems to be wrong most of the time! so much for technology you cannot beat experiance of birds

Just as you can't beat experience of technology if you've...

🤷🏻
your great at picking up on posters faults! do you actually go birding or do spend your time sat at home just being annoying? im a birder i make mistakes but i own up to them.......hands up made a mistake, not sure if your autistic or just annoying? ...............sorry op but he drives me up the wall his constant monotone critisism

Trying to get back on topic, recently I uploaded some pictures of a 100% Sparrowhawk to our national bird recognition software and to my surprise the results were: 97% Goshawk, 1% Sparrowhawk. Strange but pictures don't say everything. In this case, very often I'd seen the quick wingbeats and the short glides giving the typical undulating flight. There was a good size estimation, shape, plumage were correct, no doubt. Then I checked my pictures again and chose other ones. Now the results were the opposite, the AI decided it was a 99% Sparrowhawk.

Same bird, different pictures were uploaded, totally different results. Only the birder in the field has the decisive elements: size, proportions, flight.

To be honest, several times I've looked at the bird of this thread. My 'software' has no answer. The tail is spread often, has a thin base, is much longer than the width of wings and the corners are sharp. This is the tail of a Sparrowhawk. However, there are other reasons to call it a Goshawk, for instance look at the size compared to the crow, the body, the head, the slightly red color (if that's correct) etc. Yes, it's an interesting bird.

Bearing in mind the very shallow depth of field that optics have at high magnifications, if two distant birds are both in focus in an image then they are going to be the same distance away, meaning that judgement of relative size is straightforward.

I don't remember the exact details, but there was an article (in British Birding?) about this stupid illusion in which things farther might be bigger (the example was a Little Stint, I think). I don't remember the initial assumptions as to the equipment, though. I took the photos with a standard bridge camera.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back