• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Was this a goldcrest? (1 Viewer)

ID010471

United Kingdom
At 50 and having largely withdrawn from a social life I spend half my time trying still to be 'with' the world and the rest in calmer pursuits. I, my mum and her boyfriend seemed to begin 'noticing' birds as if they'd just been invented, about ten years ago, partly aided in my case by a friendship with a photographer and birdspotter. I am knocked out if sitting on grass and a bird comes unusually near - seems as magical as a rare meaningful conversation - and it was only a couple of months back that I first saw a robin.

A few weeks back I saw a bird with what I saw then as an orangey crest, that had seemed to be split in two, sprouting up by an inch each, almost as if it were wearing 80s 'deely boppers' in bird size. I've been through my bird book and googled, but nothing seems to fit exactly. At times, Gravesend being what it is, I think this poor thing might have just had sweet wrappers stuck to it... Could it have been a goldcrest or firecrest, with the wind momentarily parting its crest, or does that sound unlikely? It had seemed to be chasing another bird, a less striking species, through a hole in a hedge. This bird was seen thirty seconds from the town centre here, by a main road, no woodland etc.

What else might it have been that I good image search?

Thanks.

These two species raise their crown feathers when agitated or displaying. Size is critical as they are the UK's smallest species. Most likely Goldcrest being the more likely.

Great. I've since looked at a few YouTube videos of both and it is still a bit confusing that either seem to have a yellow or orange crest? Following Pyrtle's comment I'm pretty sure it is one of the two. Hopefully there'll be another sighting to clarify.

A warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

Here's a link to our Opus article for the Firecrest. You'll see he has a distinctive black and white head pattern. There's link on that one to take you to the Goldcrest so you can compare them. Scroll down to the bottom and you and use another link to search the Gallery for more images of the Firecrest.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back