• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Waxwing success (1 Viewer)

senatore

Yesterday at last I saw a Waxwing ,well 30 to be precise.Following yet another internet tip ( this time on BF-thanks to Reader and Jeff) I drove to a business park near Coleshill about 20 miles from my home.I was not confident of success as I had followed nearly 100 tips before but allways arrived too late.

The instuctions I received were pretty good and my hopes soared when I saw a small group of people with bins and scopes looking into a nearby tree.

And there they were WAXWINGS.30 of them sitting in a tree not more than 15 metres away.I do not know whetther it was because I had been chasing them without success for several weeks but I was quite moved when I finally saw them( how pathetic is that).

What a fabulous bird probably the most attractive I have seen.The yellow stripe along the wing with the red spot was dazzling in the morning sun.

I have not been birding for long and if anyone had told me a couple of years ago that I would dash off and drive 20 miles on a Sunday morning to see a bird in a tree I would have laughed in their face.

I think I have caught some kind of bug!!! Is there a cure????

MAX.

I know that feeling too!!
Took me a while to be successful with waxwings!!

Wonderful!!
Really worthwhile!! And there is no known cure!!! ;)

senatore said:
I have not been birding for long and if anyone had told me a couple of years ago that I would dash off and drive 20 miles on a Sunday morning to see a bird in a tree I would have laughed in their face.

I thought something similar when I was on the Norfolk coast in the middle of January last year ;)

and congrats on the Waxwing

senatore said:
I think I have caught some kind of bug!!! Is there a cure????

MAX.

in a word, NO!! lol

Great to see both Jeff's and my instructions paid off for you. That is one of the good things about Birdforum. We are all here to help each other and the vast majority of us do just that.

I can thank quite a few people since I have been on Birdforum for the help and advice given when needed. I suspect this won't be the last time you will ask for, and receive, help from the BF members, and that's the way it should be.

Even the experts need help at times so never feel embarrassed about asking those questions.

No, there is no cure I'm afraid..... Just have to get used to doing increasingly wacky things in pursuit of your hobby!! But what a great way to spend your time!! Just think of the alternatives... there's always DIY, or shopping!! or the even more popular slumping in front of the telly!!!!

If my experience of chasing bogey birds is anything to go by, I bet you'll see loads more Waxwings now that you've broken your duck!!

Well done Max. I've seen loads of Waxwings this winter but I was birding for about 17 years before I managed to see my first so I know how you feel!

Andrew Whitehouse said:
Well done Max. I've seen loads of Waxwings this winter but I was birding for about 17 years before I managed to see my first so I know how you feel!

Nice one Max, so far no reports of the waxwings at Coleshill today. Either you got in just in time or everyones back at work so no-one is out looking today ;-)

Now for that lesser scaup :)

PS. If your not a member already, might be a good idea to sign up to warwickbirds, it's a yahoo group where birders share sightings/news etc of birds in warwickshire.

Cheers

Jeff

Last edited:
jeff said:
Now for that lesser scaup :)

That is such an easy bird Jeff. One word of warning if you want photographs of it. If it stays where it is, at the far end of the river pool, go in the morning as the sun is in the wrong direction in the afternoon. The bird was about 100+ yards away from me yesterday afternoon and almost directly between me and the Sun.

Reader said:
That is such an easy bird Jeff. One word of warning if you want photographs of it. If it stays where it is, at the far end of the river pool, go in the morning as the sun is in the wrong direction in the afternoon. The bird was about 100+ yards away from me yesterday afternoon and almost directly between me and the Sun.

Reader,

Didn't you fail on your first attempt, some excuse about the pond being frozen ;-)

Cheers for the tip, i'll hopefully be going on Wednesday if it's still about then.

Jeff

jeff said:
Reader,

Didn't you fail on your first attempt, some excuse about the pond being frozen ;-)

Cheers for the tip, i'll hopefully be going on Wednesday if it's still about then.

Jeff

Yeah, I did go for it on Monday. I was the first birder on site after the late reports on Sunday. The lake it had been reported on, which is not the one its on now, was surface frozen the length and breadth of it (apart from a very small part.

I did try for some long distance scoping of the pool its on now but most of it was hidden by trees and you couldn't be certain of what you were looking at. There's no danger of ice this week so a morning visit on Wednesday should be ok.

Good luck on Wednesday Jeff.

Reader said:
Yeah, I did go for it on Monday. I was the first birder on site after the late reports on Sunday. The lake it had been reported on, which is not the one its on now, was surface frozen the length and breadth of it (apart from a very small part.

I did try for some long distance scoping of the pool its on now but most of it was hidden by trees and you couldn't be certain of what you were looking at. There's no danger of ice this week so a morning visit on Wednesday should be ok.

Good luck on Wednesday Jeff.

Cheers,

That was easy, parked the car, 10 paces and saw the bird which was quite nice after sitting outside the allotments at Oakham for most of the morning and not seeing the Great Grey Shrike again :-(
Weather not brilliant, but got a record shot at least.

PS. The Waxwing are still about at Hams Hall

Cheers

Jeff

Attachments

• lesserscaup3a.jpg
    lesserscaup3a.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 104
jeff said:
Cheers,

That was easy, parked the car, 10 paces and saw the bird which was quite nice after sitting outside the allotments at Oakham for most of the morning and not seeing the Great Grey Shrike again :-(
Weather not brilliant, but got a record shot at least.

PS. The Waxwing are still about at Hams Hall

Cheers

Jeff

Glad you got it Jeff. You were more fortunate than me as I noticed it had gone back onto the village lake rather than the river lake. A much longer walk and more distant views would have been had if it had stayed put. Still your photo is about 20x better than mine.

Reader said:
Glad you got it Jeff. You were more fortunate than me as I noticed it had gone back onto the village lake rather than the river lake. A much longer walk and more distant views would have been had if it had stayed put. Still your photo is about 20x better than mine.

Cheers,

Yep very fortunate. I thought it was nice of the locals to make their own signs to point us in the right direction as well :) Easier than i though it would be.

Jeff

Max

I know that feeling. I have been driving round for months looking for them to photograph without sucess. I was lucky enough to see them a couple of months ago, without my camera, and have been putting in major time since without success. That was until Friday when I found a local flock, I was elated. To make things even better, the sun was out, and was directly behind me which was a bonus. My stupid digital cable release packed up though, so I had to press the shutter by hand, but I got some nice shots. I am off hunting them again tomorrow if the weather is nice.

jeff said:
Cheers,

Yep very fortunate. I thought it was nice of the locals to make their own signs to point us in the right direction as well :) Easier than i though it would be.

Jeff

Finally caught up with Waxwings - in central London, 3 minutes walk from work. Now that's what I call a lunch hour. A small flock (40 or so) feeding around Fitzrovia. Many thanks to the kind people who let me look through their scopes and bins. Quite made my afternoon. Cheers John

fishhook said:
Finally caught up with Waxwings - in central London, 3 minutes walk from work. Now that's what I call a lunch hour. A small flock (40 or so) feeding around Fitzrovia. Many thanks to the kind people who let me look through their scopes and bins. Quite made my afternoon. Cheers John

Nice one fishhook, i think you must be really unlucky if you've dipped out on waxwings this year, i think the only place they haven't turned up yet is in my garden (backyard!).

Let's hope goshawk are as easy :)

Jeff

PS. Welcome to Birdforum.

fishhook said:

Hi John

I noticed this is your first post so let me extend a warm welcome to Birdforum. Congrats on the Waxwings. Its great to have them sdo close to work, something I haven't experienced yet.

jeff said:
Let's hope goshawk are as easy :)

Jeff

When are you going for Goshawk Jeff?

I am probably going to the Forest of Dean on Sunday as the weather report seems just right for them.

Reader said:
When are you going for Goshawk Jeff?

I am probably going to the Forest of Dean on Sunday as the weather report seems just right for them.

Weather doesn't seem to affect them ! Snow on ground and freezing our extremities off when I saw them there!! Its better for you tho'
dont remember being soooo cold!! 9 am in the morn and it was blowing a freezing wind too! Hope you see them ..and buzzards and peregrines!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back