• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Welcome to Nick's dining room table. (11 Viewers)

LOVE THE LITTLE CRAKE. Little cake. Chocolate crake.

I can't better crake and cake for the wish

your pic captures that lovely moment when you think I'm not going to see a crake..then a little shadow moves and there's that next moment when you don't quite believe it even though you can see it..and it is a crake

That's really made my day Arthur! Thank you so much - I was so disappointed at not being able to get over to see it all and this is just wonderful - AND I can see the Birding World cover too!

Ken - I'm constantly reminded of how big some of these are - when I keep tripping over them in the apartment, I'm trying to work a little smaller now. I like drawing things out big, but when it comes to putting paint on, I never seem to have mixed enough up and it's so difficult to create harmony across the page, I sort of work in little patches, which is not really the way I want to go.

Oh yes!!!!! - Well done, Arthur, thanks for posting these. What an absolute feast for the eyes and soul. Many congrats on the show, Nick - it looks phenominal. Birding World cover is a stonker too - so pleased for you and absolutely viridian with envy!!!!

Last edited:
I'd always said that before I'm 30 I'd get me a tattoo - so I think that now is the time to start thinking seriously about getting a wallcreeper climbing up my left leg.

Attachments

• tattoo.jpg
    tattoo.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 52
I'd always said that before I'm 30 I'd get me a tattoo - so I think that now is the time to start thinking seriously about getting a wallcreeper climbing up my left leg.

Make sure it is a Wallcreeper Nick...and not a Nutcracker climbing up your left leg...;)

Many concrats on the exhibition...looks superb...[as we all knew it would]...:t:

Congrats on the exhibition! :t: When I grow up I want to be like you... the problem with that is that I seem to be older than you already.

That's a super cool design! I'm a big fan of bird tatoos. I have a black-throated magpie-jay (my avatar picture, actually) tatooed across my shoulder blade. Lately, I've been toying with the idea of a new tatoo. Maybe I can get some inspiration in this forum to design the next one ;)

joyous

I have standing offer to one of the Asian flyway wader freaks to design him a bar-tailed godwit dragging a worm from his navel, but offer not taken up yet

Just caught up with the ever more inspirational field sketches. The waders, the guls, the terns are all the dog's bxxxxxxs. I just love the shapes of the sandies and knot, just soooooo alive and right.

To me, this is what it's all about. The fantastic observation here is what I strive for. Instead every where I look I see cameras. Not going to go off on one but how many times do folk say 'ooh that's a nice shot', when THIS is birding. Went to an 80's do the other night - sonic heaven. Wish I was back in the 80's birding a lot of the time, too.

Russ

Congrats on the show Nick, just spent the last half hour catching up here....the crake is cracking, and there is a gull sketch I swooned over...love the tatoo design

eek, this forum moves on at a fair lick now! I'm just popping in with some hurried pieces while I can from the holidays, I'm trying to work a little smaller, and using thick acrylics, don't know why, but that's what's happening!

The sanderlings in pen was done with my eyes closed - sort of trying to practice what I preach. Sébastien is trying to draw at the moment but seems to be blocked with what he sees on the paper and I suggested some blindfolded drawing as a way of learning to see what he wants to draw rather than seeing what the pen does. (If that makes sense).

Attachments

• blindsanderlings.JPG
    blindsanderlings.JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 63
  • kentish.JPG
    kentish.JPG
    64.3 KB · Views: 64
  • oyksdouarnenez.JPG
    oyksdouarnenez.JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 57
  • sanderlingspentrezplage.JPG
    sanderlingspentrezplage.JPG
    85.2 KB · Views: 61
  • wryneckaber.JPG
    wryneckaber.JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 59
Well Nick I just came from Birdboy's thread where he showed the invite to the SWLA show and that pen drawing would fit right in....even blindfolded you draw better than me with sight....the color piece from the sanderlings is just charming my little peeps heart.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back