• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Welcome to Nick's dining room table. (6 Viewers)

The results from the SWLA are in and I join the illustrious ranks of those who've had work refused - my rough-legged buzzard fell short this year - which is actually good, as I really like it and want to keep it on my wall! The other five are in though, just goes to show how it's impossible to judge one's own work, there were one or two rather garish or simple pieces I wouldn't have selected myself.

Attachments

• DSCF8866.JPG
    DSCF8866.JPG
    62.7 KB · Views: 69
these are the 5 that are in

Attachments

• paintings march 2011 007.jpg
    paintings march 2011 007.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 69
  • lrp.JPG
    lrp.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 63
  • shoveller agression small.JPG
    shoveller agression small.JPG
    92 KB · Views: 63
  • bittern small.JPG
    bittern small.JPG
    97.4 KB · Views: 66
  • rookssmall.JPG
    rookssmall.JPG
    80 KB · Views: 66
Congrats on the show(s) and spectacular work as usual! It is great to see the magazine for relative size. And congrats on the birthday...although I must say that I only have vague recollections of my life when I was that young. Sigh...! :-O

exquisite touch of ochre-y colour on them sanderling

and I remember the acclaim when you posted the rooks: they were immediately extra special

the rooks are the ones my dad hated, so I'm glad they got in, as they're one of my favourites ever, a clear idea, two colours, and finished in 15 minutes - how it should always be!

That first one is still one of my favorites. However the show turns out you know it's going to have a lot of quality with five works like these. I wish that SWLA printed a publication and sent it to applicants like BIA does. It would really be nice to see what got in, especially these. But then the entrance fee is a lot less for this. I assume the higher costs of BIA is what allows for the catalog. I do know one thing about the BIA catalogs. They would all be a lot more lively if they had a work or two of yours in them.

An amazingly diverse set of works, here. In my humble opinion the Rough-leg is pick of the bunch, by far. I'd have it on my wall - no messing, it's superb.
I'd like to be party to what the criteria is re getting work accepted. It's a funny old world. Perhaps I ned to keep up with the times!

Russ

Oooh! I can't wait to see the exhibition now. I'm particularly looking forward to seeing the rooks and the swallows/coots.

Mike

with many apologies for my lack of presence these past (many) weeks - it seems I 'went off' painting for quite a while what with 'what' and 'what not'. Just popping in to show you that I've not been entirely unproductive, then off out for a few hours birding before hopefully coming back and finding time to go through all the threads and see what everyone else has been up to!

First lot - still working through my Brittany sketches.

Attachments

• paintings autumn11 002.jpg
    paintings autumn11 002.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 62
  • paintings autumn11 003.jpg
    paintings autumn11 003.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 65
  • paintings autumn11 004.jpg
    paintings autumn11 004.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 73
  • paintings autumn11 007.jpg
    paintings autumn11 007.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 64
  • paintings autumn11 011.jpg
    paintings autumn11 011.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 74
and now some closer to home from the Autumn so far.

Attachments

• paintings autumn11 005.jpg
    paintings autumn11 005.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 71
  • paintings autumn11 006.jpg
    paintings autumn11 006.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 70
  • paintings autumn11 008.jpg
    paintings autumn11 008.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 57
  • paintings autumn11 010.jpg
    paintings autumn11 010.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 64
  • paintings autumn11 009.jpg
    paintings autumn11 009.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 75
It should come as no surprise, and yet it's hard to believe, that these just get better all the time! I don't know where to start. So I might as well start with the first: what a striking image. In fact it looks like in all of them you've really thought about the composition and the scene before starting. So you start off with a tremendous composition then use your usual magic of color, light, etc. Then we could go onto the second, and the third...........

Like Ken and Paschalis, it's hard to figure out what to say on these. Perhaps best to leave it at the sound of my jaw dropping onto the floor! Your style unifies the whole lot, yet each is so wonderfully unique. I was drawn to the more stylized duck in the middle of the second batch. Worth the wait!

Have to agree with the above - but just to add that everytime I see a grouping of your work following a short absense there's such a sense of life and unbridled love for the subjects (snipe obviously and the fudgecollage) the dipper's a real favourite. I can't wait to get my copy of your book when you get it published - wonderful!!!

love the gulls ( no surprise) every time you leave a famine...when you post again a huge feast worth waiting for. One of the masterful parts to me is how you vary styles and seem like 4 or 5 artists instead of 1....what a huge talent

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back