• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Welcome to Nick's dining room table. (3 Viewers)

Spectacular! There's never a time I see your field sketches that I don't want to drop everything and go find some birds to sketch. But that's truer than ever with this bunch.

Spectacular! There's never a time I see your field sketches that I don't want to drop everything and go find some birds to sketch. But that's truer than ever with this bunch.

The words taken right out of my mouth! It's difficult to know where to start here. Excellent work with the gulls. It's always great to see how these captivating birds are rendered in the hands of those in the upper echelons of BF. The page of meds are truly inspiring and raw as they come. Three or four pages of sanderlings and each one gets better - I can imagine that hand sweeping over the page - sublime! Stunning flying Sarnie terns, too.
One of the most inspiring posts I've seen on BF.

Russ

breathtaking sketches , pure genius, and I echo Kens remark, and I'm SO jealous that you can sketch that gulls bill so perfect so easily, I have so many pages where I made a complete mess of it.

too kind all of you - I hope you're also noticing the ones which have gone horribly wrong too!

Here's the next lot - more sanderlings - there were about 500 on the beach where we were staying - fantastic creatures they are, then oystercatchers, a wryneck (I've been very lucky with this species this year!) and the only kentish plover of the trip.

Attachments

• brittany sketches 022.jpg
    brittany sketches 022.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 32
  • brittany sketches 023.jpg
    brittany sketches 023.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 32
  • brittany sketches 024.jpg
    brittany sketches 024.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 42
  • brittany sketches 025.jpg
    brittany sketches 025.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 37
  • brittany sketches 026.jpg
    brittany sketches 026.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 43
a scene that must become a painting - ringed plovers, dunlin, great black back gull, black-headed gull and curlew amongst dead branches and different tones of water and mud - an irresistible combination! Then a group of little egrets in the sun, some turnstones and a discarded bottle and then a brute of a great black back.

Attachments

• brittany sketches 027.jpg
    brittany sketches 027.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 44
  • brittany sketches 028.jpg
    brittany sketches 028.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 41
  • brittany sketches 029.jpg
    brittany sketches 029.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 45
  • brittany sketches 030.jpg
    brittany sketches 030.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 36
  • brittany sketches 031.jpg
    brittany sketches 031.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 36
then some shags on a rock, a wheatear and some pages of sanderling where I feel more confident with their shapes.

Attachments

• brittany sketches 032.jpg
    brittany sketches 032.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 42
  • brittany sketches 033.jpg
    brittany sketches 033.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 33
  • brittany sketches 034.jpg
    brittany sketches 034.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 38
  • brittany sketches 035.jpg
    brittany sketches 035.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 45
  • brittany sketches 036.jpg
    brittany sketches 036.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 38
herring gull eating a starfish, then a mix of sandwich terns, little egret and med gull

Attachments

• brittany sketches 038.jpg
    brittany sketches 038.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 42
  • brittany sketches 040.jpg
    brittany sketches 040.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 34
  • brittany sketches 041.jpg
    brittany sketches 041.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 36
  • brittany sketches 042.jpg
    brittany sketches 042.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 29
  • brittany sketches 043.jpg
    brittany sketches 043.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 30
the first knot I've sketched for over ten years, some flying med gulls and sandwich terns (eek!) and a lesser black-backed gull.

Attachments

• brittany sketches 044.jpg
    brittany sketches 044.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 31
  • brittany sketches 045.jpg
    brittany sketches 045.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 37
  • brittany sketches 046.jpg
    brittany sketches 046.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 31
  • brittany sketches 047.jpg
    brittany sketches 047.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 39
  • brittany sketches 048.jpg
    brittany sketches 048.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 32
last for now - some gannets from the ferry, plenty of these about also a great skua and a manx shearwater but no sketches of those, it was hard enough with the gannets! The juveniles sitting on the water are done from memory about ten minutes after the event, one of them had netting wrapped all round its legs and I decided that I wanted to put it in a picture as I felt awful thinking of the poor thing out there in the middle of the sea.

that's me done for the night - now to sift through all these and get some pictures done - still got to get down to some nice crakes I had before the hols too, and off out birding tomorrow!

Attachments

• brittany sketches 049.jpg
    brittany sketches 049.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 33
  • brittany sketches 050.jpg
    brittany sketches 050.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 29
  • brittany sketches 051.jpg
    brittany sketches 051.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 36
So much to look at - so much to enjoy - leaves me totally speechless.
If you aren't the best observational artist alive, I'd just love to see who is!

I wouldn't worry about 'the ones that have gone horribly wrong' Nick...as these are far outnumbered by the ones that have gone 'wonderfully right'...:t:

[I feel the same about some of my 'stuff'...not that i would ever dare to compare]....:smoke:

Loved the two Turnstones in particular and that stonking Great Black Back Gull....!

herring gull eating a starfish, then a mix of sandwich terns, little egret and med gull

One very hungry gull! Mind you, a mix of sandwich terns, little egret and med gull does sound delicious! :king:

I'm still utterly amazed by this little lot Nick, like I said before: Effin' perfection.

Mike

still got to get down to some nice crakes I had before the hols too

I'm sure everyone's waiting eagerly for the painted up gulls and all and in particular that gull / dunlin / dead stumps piece will be a classic of the kind

but do please do that crake thing..

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back