• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Western Marsh Harrier? S. Thailand, Nov 13 (1 Viewer)

bhutjoe

Asking for id correction or, in a surpriising case, confirmation of my id of this raptor. These photos were taken around noon on Nov 13, 2021 in an extensive wetland area in Songkhla province, southern Thailand. I think with the dark neck and pale face, broad wings and I think 5 primary fingers that it is a western marsh harrier. I would very much appreciate your advice on this raptor and whether it is identifiable from these photos. I did ponder about it being a moulting black-eared kite but I think the harrier is a better fit. and I think the dark neck band is better for eastern than western. However, I would appreciate it if one or more of the very much more knowledgeable folks on here could comment and correct.
Thank you in advance
steve

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_12c6.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_12c6.jpeg
    32.9 KB · Views: 53
  • DSCN3691.JPG
    DSCN3691.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 47
  • fullsizeoutput_12c5.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_12c5.jpeg
    351.1 KB · Views: 52
  • fullsizeoutput_12bd.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_12bd.jpeg
    227.3 KB · Views: 53
I think it is a Marsh Harrier -BUT: Western or Eastern?
I am not sure if Eastern wouldn´t be also a possibility and also do not know which would be more likely at your location ?

Thank Joern, I believe you are correct with eastern as it would appear eastern is much much more likely where I am; after checking the distributions of the two on eBird it would seem the western is rare anywhere in Thailand and never seen in this province or any of the ones surrounding it.
Thank you very much for taking the time to comment.
very much appreciated
steve

It looks fine for EMH, not sure if it is an option for WMH.
Interesting question though. I don't think we give much attention to this issue usually. While you would think that both could turn up in the realm of the other...someday at least.....
I must admit that some of the WMH in ebird (Thailand) look promising.

There are quite a few articles online about the differences between the two.

Last edited:
You are most welcome, yet I meant to say that I (a novice as far as Eastern Marsh is concerned) don't see an objection against it being EMH.
Hopefully someone with more fieldexperience in East Asia will pop by.

cheers,
G

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back