• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Western or Eastern Osprey? Sarawak, Malaysian Borneo (2 Viewers)

dixonlau

Malaysia
Date: 16-Dec-2021

Can someone help me ID if this is Western (Pandion haliaetus) or Eastern (Pandion Cristatus). All photos were same bird. It is unusual to see an osprey here as there are no coastal anywhere within 200-300km away. This one was circling above local lake garden and saw it made a single dive attempt but left empty handed. I tried checking it online but often found contradict photos. Thanks.

PIC-20211216-074232-DSC00080-A7R3.JPG

PIC-20211216-074240-DSC00109-A7R3.JPG

PIC-20211216-074316-DSC00154-A7R3.JPG

PIC-20211216-074151-DSC00059-A7R3.JPG

PIC-20211216-074319-DSC00164-A7R3.JPG

Date: 16-Dec-2021

Can someone help me ID if this is Western (Pandion haliaetus) or Eastern (Pandion Cristatus). All photos were same bird. It is unusual to see an osprey here as there are no coastal anywhere within 200-300km away. This one was circling above local lake garden and saw it made a single dive attempt but left empty handed. I tried checking it online but often found contradict photos. Thanks.

The nominate occurs in the Sundas (from IOC11.2), the other sspp of Western Osprey, carolinensis and ridgwayi being New World taxa. That said, monotypic Eastern Osprey occurs Australasia to Sulawesi, which is only 135km from Indonesian Borneo, but at least 900km from Sibu. Any Osprey will hunt fish in fresh water and so the lack of a coastal connection isn't a concern. I've seen an Osprey deep in the Temburong, Brunei. However, it will need a knowledgeable ID expert to pontificate on the bird in your photos.

There may be further splits among the Ospreys. Monti et al 2015 found 4 separate lineages: haliaetus, cristatus, (carolinensis +ridgwayi) and a so far unidentified taxon in China! The ground-nesting Red Sea population has not been examined.
MJB
Monti, F, O Duriez, V Arnal, J-M Dominici, A Sforzi, L Fusani, D Grémillet and C Montgelard. 2015.Being cosmopolitan: evolutionary history and phylogeography of a specialized raptor, the Osprey Pandion haliaetus. BMC Evol. Biol. 15: 255. doi 10.1186/s12862-015-0535-6

It's haliaetus (Western) - thick eye stripe and generally a very dark head, cristatus is a predominately white head - it also has yet to be found on Borneo, though resident as close as Sulawesi and Javan sea islands.

James

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back