• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Grey-streaked & Asian Brown Flycatcher? Sarawak, Malaysian Borneo (1 Viewer)

dixonlau

Malaysia
Location: Lowland secondary forest, Sarawak, Malaysian Borneo
Date: Nov-Dec 2022

As because recently I've encountered in same spot of possible different species of flycatcher, I would like to double confirm incase I got it wrong. I can see some differences like clear white eye-ring, one bill more pointed, one tail longer. It is unfortunate no front shot for both birds.

Appreciate for any help. Thanks.

resize_compare flycatcher.jpg

I have concluded Pic #3 is Asian Brown. large-eyed appearance, bright white eyering.

Currently still unsure for bird Pic #1, #2.

1-2 is either Grey-streaked or Dark-sided but this is less straightforward in the absence of frontal views. Compared to DS, extensively dark bill looks too long and heavy, the pale loral patch is rather clean and eyeing rather poorly defined. The uniformly whitish underparts are extensively streaked, the streaks, if a little on the weak side, seem well-defined versus smudgy in DS and the undertail coverts are apparently unmarked. Structurally, it has a very long primary projection, tips seemingly extending beyond the undertail coverts. Conclusion therefore, a rather poorly marked 1cy Grey-streaked.

3. Is an Asian Brown.

Grahame

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back