• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Western Scotland birding (3 Viewers)

Not world shattering news, but they had a nuthatch on the feeders at Lochwinnoch today. I hope this is a sign of continuing expansion of their range.

I saw a nuthatch in kilwinning ayrshire on 21st march the first I've ever seen in the area and according to other birders the first seen for a very long time

The nearest place I had seen them is Baron's Haugh, so it'll be good if Lochwinnoch can add them to their list of breeding birds, and hopefully we'll see them more widely too.

There were at least 4 in the park in Darvel last Sunday. Hadn't visited the area before and I was surprised at how common they were.

Hi guys,

As you probably know there has been quite a good number of new Nuthatch pair this year with 12 between Barons Haugh and Dalzell Wood!

Last year I found 4-5 new territories with Jimmy Maxwell between Ravenscraig and Wishaw. I also found a pair 400 meters from my house last year and am delighted to say they are using the same hole again this year. I have also found another pair only 200 meters from my house so you can imagine how I feel right now! Both pairs are also using my feeders which I will swap for mealworms in the next 2 weeks.

The species is doing well and both my pairs as with the birds at Barons Haugh are nesting on the path verges so keep your eyes out. They will typically also position the nest within 20 meters of a Scots Pine for flakes when building.

There is still time to find plenty more pairs so keep your ears open and eyes focussed!

cheers, Andy

Thought I'd have a long lie in today after a week of really early starts. But noticed an update at Lochwinnoch in late morning that got me moving, but not before going to help out at my granddads. I normally prefer to go birding in the morning, but it was 2pm by the time I got there on the train.

First thing I heard on the way in was a willow warbler, later I spotted a few of them. Out on Aird Meadow the male smew was still around, as were a few scaup. These would make for a good day, but just before I left at 4.30pm I got what I came for - a pair of garganey - a lifer for me!

Earlier a couple of house martins flew over my head, followed shortly after by a couple of barn swallows and a sand martin - I don't think I've ever seen all three hirundines in such a short space of time, normally I just see one or at best two species at a time. Lots of the usual suspects around too - all in all a pretty decent afternoon out.

Well done on your new Lifer John.

There's a pair at Kinnordy as well. I wonder where they're all turning up from?

It was really good to see them, I hadn't planned to go out, but I thought it was worth the travel after I saw their Facebook update.

I almost went to Lochwinnoch today, but decided at the last moment to get the train to Ayr instead. I normally do the same route - head straight down to the beach, turn left and head to Doonfoot, and then backtrack along to the harbour - and today was no different. Still lots of dog walkers today but thankfully no dogs that wanted to beat me up.

Doonfoot had the usuals for the area, oystercatchers, turnstones, redshank, teal, goosander, shelduck, whooper swan and many other water birds. A wheatear briefly appeared as did a couple of swallows. Just off shore there were some common terns and gannets among the gulls as well as red-breasted merganser and Slavonian grebes. I saw a frog swimming across a narrow channel.

At the harbour there were a fair few black guillemots, cormorants, ringed plover and grey seals. No otter this time unfortunately.

Highlight of the day though was a male hen harrier spotted from the train on the way home. A pretty good bird to see at anytime, but from a train even better.

Hi. Im possibly coming up to Glencoe in late May. I will probably have 1 or 2 days in the area with no possibility of going over to Mull unfortunately. So, just wondering what there is to see/places to go in the area? One website suggests Crested Tits are in the area? Any chance of White Tailed Eagle if I drive out towards Lettermore or Inchree?
I'm possibly climbing as well while up there so is there any chance of Ptarmigan?

Any other info gratefully recieved.

sea eagle

Hi not been on here for ages butneeded to share this sighting. I saw a Sea Eagle near Large on Thursday and again yesterday.

Thursday it was north of Large on A78 and yesterday south hot Fairlie ne d the coal terminal roundabout.

Never seen one here before my guess its a youngster looking for territory.

Glencoe

Hi. Im possibly coming up to Glencoe in late May. I will probably have 1 or 2 days in the area with no possibility of going over to Mull unfortunately. So, just wondering what there is to see/places to go in the area? One website suggests Crested Tits are in the area? Any chance of White Tailed Eagle if I drive out towards Lettermore or Inchree?
I'm possibly climbing as well while up there so is there any chance of Ptarmigan?

Any other info gratefully recieved.

Depends how fit you are.....a gentle stroll out from the village along the river will allow chance of spotting most upland bird types dipper wheater etc, ptmargin on the hills

Kinlochlevan for forest birds

Loch Tulloch for divers and as for seaeagles yes a chance head past ballacullish.

Hi

I have a friend and her 7 year old son visiting next Sunday with plans to go to arran. She is interested in birds and nature but just wants to see and enjoy the island mainly and obviously we need to keep a 7 year old entertained. Any tips on travel/ places to visit would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Has anyone seen the parakeets in Glasgow's Victoria Park? According to a newspaper, there's a pair nesting there now. They're maybe not welcomed by everyone but I'd fancy seeing them, it would be a good addition to my life list.

I went along today - was very busy in the park as funfair on, plus the nice weather so I felt a bit of a fruit loop craning up at the trees whilst kids ran screaming by. Didn't manage to see any although I will definitely be going back as it's very use to where I stay. Anyone know where abouts in the park they've been seen? Was pretty excited to find this out today! (Also, first post so hi everyone ��)

Thinking of a trip up to Oban next week. Is there any chance of White-tailed Eagle in or around that area? Also any other suggestions for birding spots around that general vicinity would be appreciated. Don't mind a bit of a drive but wont have time for any ferries.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back