• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Whale spotted in central London (1 Viewer)

unusual species to end up here. may go for this after work depending on where it ends up as the tide moves.

BirdGuides also have a report of a Bottle-nosed Whale today off Southend, Essex. The report is timed at 15:28, but the sighting could have been early this morning and the same as the London individual. I bet there'll be quite a crowd on the banks of the Thames tomorrow if it hangs around.
Hope it makes it back out safely (and stays clear of any Japanese tourists with their wellington boots and a meat cleaver...)

some precedent

Apparantly this has happened before, in 1913, according to BBC news. Not sure what species though. Wonder what has driven it down the thames? If it hangs around they will have to edit the intro to Eastenders.But seriously I hope it manages to leave safe and sound.

Sadly they appear to have lost sight of it this last while. I've got my fingers crossed but not too hopefull. :-C

Well we walked about 4k up the side of the thames in the area it was supposed to have been seen this evening between about 6:30 and 8:30. No sighting and surprisingly few people about. We started well downstream and moved upwards on the basis it was supposedly heading back out with the tide but I wonder if it had already past us. Will be interesting to see if it turns up tomorrow morning as Stewart pointed out it would have been a nice twitch for my cetacean world list (and obviously a first for my cetacean patch list!) - hopefully its made it out to the estuary though.

I received an email just a bit ago from someone who was quoted in one of the press articles that this is a juvenile whale that had earlier been seen swimming with an adult, and that the adult is at Southend. Hope both are sighted again back in open water tomorrow. :t:

Katy Penland said:
I received an email just a bit ago from someone who was quoted in one of the press articles that this is a juvenile whale that had earlier been seen swimming with an adult, and that the adult is at Southend. Hope both are sighted again back in open water tomorrow. :t:

Sorry Katy, didn't see this thread before I PM'd you and started a new thread!

Latest reports aren't too good though.

Let's hope it's not there in the morning and has made it out to open sea to re-unite with the adult.

At 2.30am it was sighted at Vauxhall Bridge and appeared to be swimming towards open sea again. However, it's reported to be very tired, stressed and disorientated.

Last edited:
Rescue now under way. Its live on Sky News if anyone wants to have a look. Although I am a bit disappointed with them though as they have their helicopter right above the ongoing rescue. The noise of this could just add to the whales distress. But as long as they get the best coverage eh?

Just been watching live pictures. They've been trying to get the yellow sling on it for 15 minutes to no avail. I really hope they save it.

kas said:
Although I am a bit disappointed with them though as they have their helicopter right above the ongoing rescue. The noise of this could just add to the whales distress. But as long as they get the best coverage eh?

They mentioned that the helicopter was filming from a mile off, using a long-lens to get the pictures, as asked to by the rescuers.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back