• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

London Area Business Trip - Looking for tips! (1 Viewer)

Kraken

United States
Hi all - I will be landing in Heathrow on January 28th at 6:45 am, get a rental car, and head out birding.
I will spend the day birding and then return the car to Heathrow. From there a train to my hotel in London.
This will be my first birding in the U.K. and I'm looking for some recommendations from the local experts to maximize my opportunity.
Morning spot and afternoon spot recommendations would be welcome.
Local countryside spots would be idea.

Note: edited it for itinerary clarity.

Last edited:
Hi Kraken, you don't say when you are coming to the UK, nor wherebouts you will be staying while you are over here (London is such a big area and you really need to travel quite a distance to find 'real' countryside!).

However Staines Reservoir is very close to Heathrow Airport, here is a link to our Opus article for it: Staines Reservoirs - BirdForum Opus, from there you can explore other articles if you search for London, Surrey, Middlesex, Berkshire, Kent.

Hope this helps get you started while you wait for others to come up with more ideas.

The London Wetland Centre should produce some interesting species. Mind you , depending on where you are coming from, the London parks are among the best places to see feral Egyptian Geese and Ring-necked Parakeets in the country. Also plenty of standard U.K. species; Chaffinch, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Blackbird, Woodpigeon, Black-headed Gull and proper Robins!

If you're staying in the Heathrow area bear in mind travel times, and daylight hours still being very short. I can recommend places in North/East Kent, but you're looking at 2 and a half to three hours driving to get here. Are you travelling on your own or with a non-birding partner who might want to see other things?

Agree with the above. If you're coming soonish then Staines not to be missed, and do include Staines Moor (next to the reservoirs). Barnes is birder-friendly with +/- guaranteed winter bittern and Jack snipe.

If it's anywhere near your route, Beddington has perhaps the longest London list:

https://ebird.org/hotspot/L933099?yr=all&m=&rank=mrec

But access to some parts is restricted and the views can be distant.

In the East, Rainham Marshes is fantastic but again large with often distant views.

North-East takes you to places like wlathamstow wetlands:

https://ebird.org/hotspot/L2083779

And wanstead:

https://ebird.org/hotspot/L5803024

(The ebird map shows you many others)

I would note that many of these are more easily reached using public transport, especially if you're staying in the city. Broadly speaking, driving through it isn't huge amounts of fun.

Once you get outside London a car becomes much more valuable and of course there are lots more sites to explore. I might start with Colne or Lea Valley: latter up to Hertford is better known and includes Fisher's Green etc

Last edited:
London Wetland Centre is good - has quite a few Cetti's Warblers there and other sightings are at:-

It does cost about £15 to get in if you are not a WWT trust member.

Woodberry Wetlands is a good site near Hackney.

Rainham Marshes a good RSPB site.

If you’re looking to head south and don’t mind a bit of a drive, there’s Pulborough Brooks RSPB, Arundel WWT, Thorney Island, Cuckmere Haven, High and Over, Arlington Reservoir - you’ll have varying results with that selection, some guaranteed spots, but also places where you’ll be taking a chance. RSPB Pulborough has a great optics shop, if that’s of interest.

Most areas in the South Downs National Park are worth a visit IMHO. You’d certainly need a car to find the best and most convenient places, however.

Hi all - I will be landing in Heathrow on January 28th at 6:45 am, get a rental car, and head out birding.
This will be my first birding in the U.K. and I'm looking for some recommendations from the local experts to maximize my opportunity.
You do not say where you are from and this clearly has a major impact on your target species?

Travel distances and targets are clearly the most important factors. As it is a Saturday, your travel times have a slight advantage. WWT London Wetland Centre & somewhere like Thursley Common and back to Heathrow would have a total travel distance of say 80 miles. You have very limited daylight. 8 birding hours maximum. You want to spend as little time driving as possible. But as I say, it really depends on your targets and what you would be looking to see.... Getting to the coast is possible if you were going to try a longer day and travel back in the dark.

I suspect that WWT London Wetland Centre and a park would be doable by public transport without a hire car but with luggage etc the logistics are more difficult.

Targets? Your previous birding?

All the best

Paul

Last edited:
Hi Kraken, you don't say when you are coming to the UK, nor wherebouts you will be staying while you are over here (London is such a big area and you really need to travel quite a distance to find 'real' countryside!).

However Staines Reservoir is very close to Heathrow Airport, here is a link to our Opus article for it: Staines Reservoirs - BirdForum Opus, from there you can explore other articles if you search for London, Surrey, Middlesex, Berkshire, Kent.

Hope this helps get you started while you wait for others to come up with more ideas.
Hi Delia,
This sounds pretty good, I will check it out.
Thanks for the feedback, I edited my post to clarify my plans. I renting the car just for the day to bird.

You do not say where you are from and this clearly has a major impact on your target species?

Travel distances and targets are clearly the most important factors. As it is a Saturday, your travel times have a slight advantage. WWT London Wetland Centre & somewhere like Thursley Common and back to Heathrow would have a total travel distance of say 80 miles. You have very limited daylight. 8 birding hours maximum. You want to spend as little time driving as possible. But as I say, it really depends on your targets and what you would be looking to see.... Getting to the coast is possible if you were going to try a longer day and travel back in the dark.

I suspect that WWT London Wetland Centre and a park would be doable by public transport without a hire car but with luggage etc the logistics are more difficult.

Targets? Your previous birding?

All the best

Paul
Hi Paul - Logistically we are on the same page. I have no problem renting the car for the time efficiency and increase of the options and quality of birding.
I would put myself as an advanced beginner with about 320 species mainly in the Atlantic states in the US. Most in NJ (my home) and some in California. There is some overlap in waterfowl with my home area and the London are but there are plenty of new species.
Basically as the first trip, I'm looking to catch as many as I can and in subsequent trips be more precise in species targeting.
This is a last minute business trip so I don't have the time to research sites and species much, so "I depend upon the kindness of strangers" (extra points for identifying the quote).

Hi Paul - Logistically we are on the same page. I have no problem renting the car for the time efficiency and increase of the options and quality of birding.
I would put myself as an advanced beginner with about 320 species mainly in the Atlantic states in the US. Most in NJ (my home) and some in California. There is some overlap in waterfowl with my home area and the London are but there are plenty of new species.
Basically as the first trip, I'm looking to catch as many as I can and in subsequent trips be more precise in species targeting.
This is a last minute business trip so I don't have the time to research sites and species much, so "I depend upon the kindness of strangers" (extra points for identifying the quote).
Excellent. I'll let that sink in & have a think...

All the best

Paul

Hey Kraken,

One option you have is to head down the M3 to the New Forest NP - should take less than 1.5h on a Saturday morning.
You get a good variety of habitats in close proximity, and I can give you a detailed itinerary since it's my local area.

• Beaulieu area for all common and rarer UK woodland and heathland birds
  • Blashford Lakes (former gravel pits) for wetland & forest birds; excellent hides for close-in views/photography
  • Milford-on-Sea for lunch and a quick sea watch
  • Keyhaven to Lymington Marshes for coastal & wetland species

I would offer to show you around myself, but unfortunately my wife is travelling that day so it's 50/50 whether I've got the time. If you decide to head over I'll tell you exactly where to go and what to expect in terms of birds.

Cheers,
Joost

If you're staying in the Heathrow area bear in mind travel times, and daylight hours still being very short. I can recommend places in North/East Kent, but you're looking at 2 and a half to three hours driving to get here. Are you travelling on your own or with a non-birding partner who might want to see other things?
Hi Richard - That looks to far for this trip. Since it is my first outing in the U.K., there will be a lot of low hanging fruit much closer. Maybe next trip.

The London Wetland Centre should produce some interesting species. Mind you , depending on where you are coming from, the London parks are among the best places to see feral Egyptian Geese and Ring-necked Parakeets in the country. Also plenty of standard U.K. species; Chaffinch, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Blackbird, Woodpigeon, Black-headed Gull and proper Robins!
Thanks Welsh. I'm staying in St. James so I might be able to hit this on my second day.

London Wetland Centre is good - has quite a few Cetti's Warblers there and other sightings are at:-

It does cost about £15 to get in if you are not a WWT trust member.

Woodberry Wetlands is a good site near Hackney.

Rainham Marshes a good RSPB site.
London really seems to have a good selection within the city confines.
I assume I'm safe walking around these areas solo with a camera and binoculars.
Solid options here, thanks!

Hey Kraken,

One option you have is to head down the M3 to the New Forest NP - should take less than 1.5h on a Saturday morning.
You get a good variety of habitats in close proximity, and I can give you a detailed itinerary since it's my local area.

• Beaulieu area for all common and rarer UK woodland and heathland birds
  • Blashford Lakes (former gravel pits) for wetland & forest birds; excellent hides for close-in views/photography
  • Milford-on-Sea for lunch and a quick sea watch
  • Keyhaven to Lymington Marshes for coastal & wetland species

I would offer to show you around myself, but unfortunately my wife is travelling that day so it's 50/50 whether I've got the time. If you decide to head over I'll tell you exactly where to go and what to expect in terms of birds.

Cheers,
Joost
Hi Joost - This is pretty tempting, and I really appreciate your offer.
One concern is the 1.5h round trip might be a tough day after the red-eye flight. Especially the ride back.
Also, flight lands at 6:45. By the time I get the car and get down there it would probably be between 9-10am. Which may not be too bad with a 7:45 sunrise.

Hi Joost - This is pretty tempting, and I really appreciate your offer.
One concern is the 1.5h round trip might be a tough day after the red-eye flight. Especially the ride back.
Also, flight lands at 6:45. By the time I get the car and get down there it would probably be between 9-10am. Which may not be too bad with a 7:45 sunrise.
Fair point!

I had a look around on eBird for sites near Heathrow that should give you a good cross-section of UK winter birding. You'll miss out on the coast because of the driving distance, but that's not the end of the world.

How about spending your time between these sites:
Burnham Beeches (https://ebird.org/hotspot/L1122968) for the common woodland birds (incl. Eurasian Siskin and Bullfinch), winter thrushes, and a shot at Lesser Spotted Woodpecker and maybe Firecrest .
Stocker's Lake (https://ebird.org/hotspot/L949448) for waterfowl and species like Little Egret, Gray Wagtail, Cetti's Warbler, etc.

Apparently there are wintering Smew at nearby Broadwater Lake (https://ebird.org/hotspot/L4216679), and the big reservoirs southwest of the airport often have something unusual (e.g. https://ebird.org/hotspot/L924629).

All these sites are within 30 min drive of the airport - I think it's what I'd go for if I were in your position.
(and for waders I recommend flying through Amsterdam in late autumn - you can't beat the Dutch wetlands and coastal areas for sheer numbers, diversity and access).

Best,
Joost

I will spend the day birding and then return the car to Heathrow. From there a train to my hotel in London.

Note: edited it for itinerary clarity.
Hello. As stated above, the London Wetland Center is a very good place for birdwatching. There is a wintering bittern on the reserve right now, as well as bearded reedlings. For something more exotic you could try going to Manor Park at Flitwick to the north and searching the strip of wood along the road for the UK's last wild Lady Amherst's pheasant (though be warned it is usually extremely elusive). Ultimately though it depends on how far you are willing to travel, eg Eldernell near Peterborough has long-eared, short-eared, tawny owls and hen harriers which are very easy to see, whilst there is a long-staying pallid harrier at Warham Greens near Wells next to the Sea (both infinitely better than anything close to London) White-tailed eagles are around the Isle of Wight

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back