• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What’s your favorite low power bino 7x and below. (1 Viewer)

Paultricounty

United States
Good idea for a discussion from Herman.

My tastes changed in this area fairly recently with some vintage wide fields.
My favorites right now are the
Bushnell FPO (Fuji photo) Rangemasters in 7x35
Swift Holiday MKII 7x35
Leica classics (retros) in 7x35
Leica 7x42 UVHD.

Nothing lower than 7x has caught my fancy yet.

I only own two 7's:

Swaro SLC neu 7x50's - my go to dawn/dusk binoculars
Bushnell custom compact 7x26 - currently sitting in my briefcase for when I'm on a work trip but might get half hour of a lunchbreak...

In my last post from "Habicht 7x42 dissection" I summarized why personally I like this Habicht among all 7x
I sat and thought, what do I like so much about this newcHabicht 7x42? ...Precisely these poor quality specifications and the simplicity of the mechanical and optical construction seem to reduce these binoculars to a kind of essence. These essences paradoxically attract me because, by antithesis, this seem to emphasize even more the clarity and fantastic transmission of these beautiful binoculars.
View attachment 1502294
It's about the simple things that are refined to the extreme.
View attachment 1502295
It is about modern optical performance in the shirt of tradition.
View attachment 1502296
The new Swarovski Habicht 7x42 porro is a classic still alive! I like that these binoculars are manufactured in small quantities only when there are many requests. I waited about two months for the production to be finished. These are no ordinary stock binoculars

I prefer smaller 6X and 7X size binoculars, they have calmer and more relaxed views, with higher depth perception. Also less weight means I can spend more time holding them up.
I used to own a Bushnell Legend L 8x42 that I really liked but at the end, I sold them because I fell in love with a pair of Maven's B3's 6x30 with ED Glass, fully coated lenses and dielectric coated prisms. They have a very respectable FOV and fast and sharp focus with a nice sweet spot.
I also own pair of Maven's 7x28 that I have in my car at all times that also have ED glass and dielectric coated prisms.
My favorite ones are a pair of Swarovski's 7x30 B SLC refurbished with the latest up to date lens coatings and Swarobright prisms, they are a pleasure to hold and to look through, they have exquisite razor sharp focusing, color rendering and a completely focused area that almost reaches to the edge. They are also brighter than similar 8x30 SLC.
I think that 7x30 B SLC Mark III and IV (if you can find them) and 8x30 SLC offer a very good value for your money, they are built like a tank, and have a lifetime transferable warranty.
One day I would like to try some Leicas 7x35 and I am sure I will also fall in love with them but I will need to spent a lot more to adquire them.

Kowa BD II XD 6.5x32. One of these sits on my work station ready to grab and look out of our upstairs window across the valley at birds moving up or down the valley. They are compact and have a monster field of view: 175m at 1km or 10 degrees. And the ultimate seal of approval? Troubadoris regularly picks them up and uses them.

Skeleton 6x25, Komz 6x24, APM 6x30, Tasco #116 7x35, Kowa BDII 6.5x32, "Adler" 7x35 (Japanese super wide with 11°), Olympia 7x35, Olympia 7x50 (not the same maker as the 7x35 though - guess Olympia was a popular name amongst Japanese bino makers), Scope 7x50 (wide angle, I think 10°), for astro use - Fuji FMTR, and last but not least the Komz 7x30 BPO for its super sharp, super flat field.
Adler on top, Tasco below:
img0cicnl.jpg

Olympia 7x35:
img1eaiyu.jpg

Skeleton and Komz:
img0kre47.jpg

That little skeleton might be one of my favourite binos as a collector's piece - it is so solid, feels like a mechanical piece of art.
img3gqeh0.jpg

img0iyen5.jpg

Fuji and Scope 7x50 wide angle.
img0lgcgt.jpg

Komz 7x30, old version with twist-up eye cups on the left.
xqk4w.jpg

Olympia 7x50 and Kowa BDII.
p0kym.jpg

And the APM 6x30.
IMG_20230404_121301.jpg

Last edited:
7x is my favourite magnification. Powerful enough not to miss much from 8x, but with an additional level of depth of view and a steadier image. Also, given the fact that there is not a terrible amount of modern roofs in "light 7x" configuration, many times you end up using 7x35/42 (even lightweight 7x50) porros, with the intoxicating and addictive 3D view that binoculars with objectives spaced wide apart can offer.

Said that, I think THE binoculars that have given me the biggest wow, the most pleasurable image have been the 7x42 Zeiss Victory FL. I simply love them... but then, I'm a 32 mm person, so every time I've had them, I ended up not using them that much, so I ended up selling them (this has happened 3 times... yes. I know. And now I miss it again. Lately I had to refrain myself from buying it a fourth time). The view is crystal clear, pristine, "more real than reality it self" (this produces an addictive oneiric effect that makes you want to use them for the mere fact of using them, not to watch anything in particular). However, they are not devoid of flaws; I remember they can sometimes get a pretty annoying ring of brightness at the edge of the field of view. The shape takes some getting used to; some may love it, others may hate it. I pesonally love its understated utilitarian looks, and I'm all in for the use of plastic in order to reduce weight. An all time favourite.

Then, the 7x35 Retrovid is a bittersweet story. It could be THE contemporary 7x. Light and nimble, with a lovely 5 mm exit pupil but really featherweight weight. But some details let it down. If only it had wider eyecups... and then, the focus wheel could be a little faster. I know Leica probably knows its customers very well, and they have a well-planned sales strategy and a whole strategy regarding their range of binoculars. But then, I can't get over the fact that they designed a new device in the 21st century and took some "extraordinary" decisions, like not making it waterproof or using the eyecups the same size of an 8x25 pocket binocular. Such a missed opportunity, really.

So, where does this leave us?
At the moment I'm trying a Hawke Endurance ED Marine 7x32. It's nice, but it simply can't compare with the above (which seems obvious, given the price difference.
Finally, to be honest, my most used 7x is an old and trusty 7x50 Vixen Ultima (also sold under the Celestron Ultima brand) which is really light for a 50 mm and offers a quite impressive performance, mixing the great ease of view, great depth of field and addictive stereopsis. It has been sitting on my kitchen window for quite some time now, and I use it on a daily basis. So, there you have it.

Last edited:
I love the 7x magnification and have three, a Steiner Navigator Pro 7x30, a Steiner Navigator Pro 7x50 Compass and the Jewell in the Crown, the venerable Habicht 7x42.

The Steiners are the last of the old bodies (I don’t care for the new style) and I use them on the water.

I pondered over the Habichts for several years until a used, but brand new, pair came up for sale in Ace Optics Bath and were delivered next day. Sublime.

I am drawn to the Curio’s and may press the buy now button whilst my wife is at the hairdressers.

Kowa BD II XD 6.5x32. One of these sits on my work station ready to grab and look out of our upstairs window across the valley at birds moving up or down the valley. They are compact and have a monster field of view: 175m at 1km or 10 degrees.
That is huge! Wow. An overlooked gem? I have not heard a lot of it. Kowa is in my blind spot. But that sounds interesting! Not really expensive as well.

I'm most interested in low power binoculars I can use for birding. That means they need to have center focussing and good optics, and they need to be no heavier than ~750 gr. That's important to me because I mainly use these binoculars as an alternative if I don't want to / can't carry the big Canon 10x42 IS. They also need to be waterproof. Non waterproof pairs are right out for serious birding in my neck of the woods as far as I'm concerned.

That means that I won't use some of the low power binoculars I bought over the years for any serious birdwatching, for instance the Baigish/Komz 7x30 BPO, the Zeiss West 7x50 (~1960), and the Hensoldt (Zeiss) 7x50 Fero-D17 (depite its fantastic optics).

The only low power binoculars I currently use for birding are the Habicht 7x42 and the APM 6x30. The Habicht is beyond reproach obviously, despite the small AFOV. The APM is alright, with very nice build quality and so on, but the image isn't quite as good as I would like it to be. It's still good enough in a pinch, and it's very cheap for what it offers. Maybe I'm spoilt because I used the Habicht a lot before I got the big Canon.

The alternatives are few and far between me thinks. Most modern 7x42s are out of production, except for the Ultravid 7x42 (a bit on the heavy side for what I want it for) and the Retrovid (not waterproof). I'm not interested in older wideangle porros for my purposes (old coatings, usually not waterproof). I'm also not interested in buying some used roofs, even though I might make an exception for a good Zeiss FL 7x42 if the price is right.

What I would like is an optically excellent 7x30/32/35, ideally a porro rather than a roof. But I can't see anyone making one, except perhaps some Chinese manufacturer. I've got no problems whatsoever with the build quality of some Chinese binoculars. The APM, for instance, could well be made in Japan. That's how good the build quality is.

Maybe I need to have a look at the Kowa 6.5x32 some time.

Hermann

Wow, how did I forget the Swaro Habicht’s in my list of favorites, crazy. That possibly should’ve been on the top of my list, my bad. Must’ve been a senior or Biden moment 🤪.

Last edited:
My 7x and lower models are:

Ultravid 7x42HD+
Leitz 6x24 and 7x35b (both look almost new!)
Swarovski Curio 7x21
Nikon 5x15

I like using all of them, but my three favorites are the 7x42HD+, Leitz 6x24 and Curio 7x21.

One day I would like to try some Leicas 7x35 and I am sure I will also fall in love with them but I will need to spent a lot more to acquire them.
Because of the cost of the Retrovid I found an old Leitz 7x35 which it was based upon and is still a very usable binocular. Now if I ever spring for the Retrovid I at least have a good idea of its handling and utility. Take a look around, they're out there and reasonably affordable most of the time.

Kowa BD II XD 6.5x32. One of these sits on my work station ready to grab and look out of our upstairs window...compact and have a monster field of view: 175m at 1km or 10 degrees.
This is another one that I keep forgetting about, but have had an interest in for some time now. When I got my Leitz 6x24 it immediately made me wish for more binoculars in this magnification range and I suppose it's just a matter of time before I get one.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back