• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What’s your favorite low power bino 7x and below. (1 Viewer)

My binoculars of choice are both 7x. My principal birding binoculars are Zen-Ray 7x36, my everyday pocket binoculars are Swarovski 7x21. My car binoculars are Vortex 6.5x32. I do have higher powered bins but they are regulated to second duty.

I don't know. 7 power and below doesn't really attract me... I want a pair of binoculars to see birds close. Higher magnification helps. I am not really a fan of 8 power as well. Better DOF doesn't bother me too. This thread makes me rethink: I see there al lot of 7 power fans on this forum! Am I missing something? I don't know yet. Maybe it is just a matter of taste. The Curio 7x21 might be interesting, because it is so small and still has 3mm EP. So for pocket bins I see the appeal, but for compact or large bins I much prefer 8 or even 10 power.

Still nice to read whats on the market as well! Maybe I will be converted someday.

I was on a long/fast hike a couple of days ago, and I certainly liked having 7x -- I could stop and see birds fairly stably even though I was panting!
My hands are steady when I am at rest, but when exercising, 7x binoculars are great. I saw a pileated woodpecker!

Am I missing something?
I've wondered this for years myself. Lately for some reason I've got a better idea of what it is that some here like so much about 7x, a different set of priorities that seldom seem to apply for me. But if more models were still made, there might be one I could get interested in trying, with 9°+ FOV and no edge aberrations...

So for now, my favorite (and only) low-power bin is EII 8x30. In the meantime, perhaps a new thread: What's your favorite high-power bin, 12x and above?

Last edited:
A lot of nice treads lately!

I have only fairly recent (less then a half year) got myself three very nice 7’s:

• Leica Trinovid 7x42 BN, recently serviced in Portugal
  • Leica UVHD (non-plus) 7x42
  • Zeiss FL 7x42 (with Locutec)

I’m still comparing them, all 3 are very relaxed to look through. I just love to look through them because it’s nice to look through them and it doesn’t matter where I’m looking at, its highly addictive. The Leica’s (for my eyes) have more contrast and the Zeiss is brighter and has the best focus and widest FOV. The Trinovid seems to have a slightly bigger magnification and i like the eyecups the most of the three, it’s also the heaviest. I‘m in love with the Trinovid at the moment but maybe because i got her back just last Thursday from Portugal. My wife likes the FL the most.

There's something quite nice about the habicht in 7x. The combination of the latest swaro glass and coatings with a traditional optical and mechanical design makes for a very field worthy instrument. In ga form it also fitted me very well so it would be my choice, just chuck it up to my eyes, no fiddling with eye cups etc although the rain guard should be wider and I think maybe a different strap for the ga would be good, the leather one obviously goes with the unarmoured habicht perfectly though.

The uvhd is good but lacking a little brightness and sparkle. I've had an FL and although very good and with a usefully wider fov I doubt it is as tough as the habicht even though very well built compared to most.

I suppose to a degree it comes down to use case, when I was on Skye wild camping on the hunt for golden eagles last year the habicht was perfect, for more usual birding maybe the FL would be better. The habicht feels like it will never let you down which is worth a fair bit when your miles from anyone and can't carry a second pair just in case.

I'm kayaking and wild camping for a few days this summer on the English Welsh borders as well as bike touring up in the Yorkshire dales in a month or so and am regretting letting the habicht go for this admittedly rare type of occasion, it's a very reliable tool.

Will

Last edited:
But if more models were still made, there might be one I could get interested in trying, with 9°+ FOV and no edge aberrations...
If you're willing to forgo full multicoating, I'll bet you can find a fully coated or multicoated, well-corrected, full-size 9-degree or 10-degree classic from the 1980s. Bausch and Lomb? Bushnell? Nikon? Sears? Swift?

Last edited:
Theirs something quite nice about the habicht in 7x. The combination of the latest swaro glass and coatings with a traditional optical and mechanical design makes for a very field worthy instrument. In ga form it also fitted me very well so it would be my choice, just chuck it up to my eyes, no fiddling with eye cups etc although the rain guard should be wider and I think maybe a different strap for the ga would be good, the leather one obviously goes with the unarmoured habicht perfectly though.

The uvhd is good but lacking a little brightness and sparkle. I've had an FL and although very good and with a usefully wider fov I doubt it is as tough as the habicht even though very well built compared to most.

I suppose to a degree it comes down to use case, when I was on Skye wild camping on the hunt for golden eagles last year the habicht was perfect, for more usual birding maybe the FL would be better. The habicht feels like it will never let you down which is worth a fair bit when your miles from anyone and can't carry a second pair just in case.

I'm kayaking and wild camping for a few days this summer on the English Welsh borders as well as bike touring up in the Yorkshire dales in a month or so and am regretting letting the habicht go for this admittedly rare type of occasion, it's a very reliable tool.

Will
Hi Will, i agree: my two Habicht’s GA feel like they are bomb proof and never will let me down but the Trinnies are tough also.

My old 7x35 give nice views but are brick heavy… for pocket carry I now have an 8x20 trinovid…. But a 7x equivalent would have been fine if similarly compact. Some interesting options noted.

Peter

For now my top would be my Bushnell Broadfield 6x25. Made by Asahi (pentax), 11° FOV, 4+mm EP, rock solid skeleton build, the center hinge even rests on my forehead with my eyes at the perfect distance from the eyepiece giving me a pseudo NL forehead rest! They live in the center console of my car and will stay there forever (even replaced my 6x25 bushnell customs).

My answer may be different in a week when I have my new (to me) 7x42 SLC's in hand.

The Pentax 6.5x21 Papilio II reverse porro is the only low power binocular I currently have. I like them but my 7x monocular gets much more use.

Hi,

thinking about my low power options, the one with most use is certainly the Papilio 6.5x21 as it's my current pair to take for hiking or cycling when birding is not a priority.

I have two others, the Leitz Trinovid 7x42 in green rubber (unlike the later Leica brick, it's quite light but neither multi- nor phase coated) and the Komz 6x24 - both have their draws, with the Leitz its's the classic style and very relaxed view while the Komz has that 11.5 deg fov...

Joachim

Foton 5x25, 12 plus degree field. Very sharp.

Dowling and Rowe 4x22, 16.5 degree field.

Nipole 7x23, 9.5 degrees. My only binocular for ten years. 1965?

6x24 Amplivid, 12.2 degree field.

Canon 18x50 IS favourite high power, 1999?

Also selected Celestron 20x80, Japan, 3.5 degree field, 1975.

Regards,
B.

Skeleton 6x25, Komz 6x24, APM 6x30, Tasco #116 7x35, Kowa BDII 6.5x32, "Adler" 7x35 (Japanese super wide with 11°), Olympia 7x35, Olympia 7x50 (not the same maker as the 7x35 though - guess Olympia was a popular name amongst Japanese bino makers), Scope 7x50 (wide angle, I think 10°), for astro use - Fuji FMTR, and last but not least the Komz 7x30 BPO for its super sharp, super flat field.
Adler on top, Tasco below:
img0cicnl.jpg

Olympia 7x35:
img1eaiyu.jpg

Skeleton and Komz:
img0kre47.jpg

That little skeleton might be one of my favourite binos as a collector's piece - it is so solid, feels like a mechanical piece of art.
img3gqeh0.jpg

img0iyen5.jpg

Fuji and Scope 7x50 wide angle.
img0lgcgt.jpg

Komz 7x30, old version with twist-up eye cups on the left.
xqk4w.jpg

Olympia 7x50 and Kowa BDII.
p0kym.jpg

And the APM 6x30.
View attachment 1502386
Nice! What is the 116 Tasco, is that an 11° or 12 1/2? Bk7?

And what model is that skeleton ?

In the meantime, perhaps a new thread: What's your favorite high-power bin, 12x and above?
I don't have one :(. I actually think 10 power is my sweet spot: nice details, for me steady enough. I think I can perfectly live with a 10x32, 10x50 and a 10x25 and miss nothing... I haven't ever tried a 12 power alpha, so I don't know what I am missing. So go ahead, maybe I will learn something from this thread :).
I am sorry, back to 7 power.... and below.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back