• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What’s your favorite low power bino 7x and below. (1 Viewer)

Nice! What is the 116 Tasco, is that an 11° or 12 1/2? Bk7?

And what model is that skeleton ?
The Tasco is BK7 and 10.5°. It's not quite as impressive as the "Adler" with 11° or the "Olympia" which is even wider, but it's got a bit more eye relief and more balanced view, not as much field curvature or pincushion. So I'd say it's probably my most comfortable wide angle 7x35.
The skeleton is a Seiwa Kogaku, J-B93, according to the miniature binos website one of the largest makers back in the day. For a bino with old coatings it has a rather neutral color rendition. And it's just so well made. Everything is just glass and metal, apart from the eye cups and some small leatherette inserts on the arms. I definitely need to get more of those skeleton binos.
I also have an old Nikon 6x15. I'm thinking about getting the newer version, while it's still made.

7x is my favourite magnification. Powerful enough not to miss much from 8x, but with an additional level of depth of view and a steadier image. Also, given the fact that there is not a terrible amount of modern roofs in "light 7x" configuration, many times you end up using 7x35/42 (even lightweight 7x50) porros, with the intoxicating and addictive 3D view that binoculars with objectives spaced wide apart can offer.

Said that, I think THE binoculars that have given me the biggest wow, the most pleasurable image have been the 7x42 Zeiss Victory FL. I simply love them... but then, I'm a 32 mm person, so every time I've had them, I ended up not using them that much, so I ended up selling them (this has happened 3 times... yes. I know. And now I miss it again. Lately I had to refrain myself from buying it a fourth time). The view is crystal clear, pristine, "more real than reality it self" (this produces an addictive oneiric effect that makes you want to use them for the mere fact of using them, not to watch anything in particular). However, they are not devoid of flaws; I remember they can sometimes get a pretty annoying ring of brightness at the edge of the field of view. The shape takes some getting used to; some may love it, others may hate it. I pesonally love its understated utilitarian looks, and I'm all in for the use of plastic in order to reduce weight. An all time favourite.

Then, the 7x35 Retrovid is a bittersweet story. It could be THE contemporary 7x. Light and nimble, with a lovely 5 mm exit pupil but really featherweight weight. But some details let it down. If only it had wider eyecups... and then, the focus wheel could be a little faster. I know Leica probably knows its customers very well, and they have a well-planned sales strategy and a whole strategy regarding their range of binoculars. But then, I can't get over the fact that they designed a new device in the 21st century and took some "extraordinary" decisions, like not making it waterproof or using the eyecups the same size of an 8x25 pocket binocular. Such a missed opportunity, really.

So, where does this leave us?
At the moment I'm trying a Hawke Endurance ED Marine 7x32. It's nice, but it simply can't compare with the above (which seems obvious, given the price difference.
Finally, to be honest, my most used 7x is an old and trusty 7x50 Vixen Ultima (also sold under the Celestron Ultima brand) which is really light for a 50 mm and offers a quite impressive performance, mixing the great ease of view, great depth of field and addictive stereopsis. It has been sitting on my kitchen window for quite some time now, and I use it on a daily basis. So, there you have it.
How could I forget the 7x35 Nikon "Gold Sentinel". Don't know what I was thinking about, probably in "top performance" terms.
Although not the easiest to find, you can see them going for little over 100 $/€ and the view is simply stunning for that price. It mixes some of the amazing features I mentioned on my first post, such as great depth of field, stable view, amazing stereopsis with a wide field of view and a crisp and sharp image. The downsides could include a pretty hard focus, a slightly tendency to display a warm/yellow hue, no waterproofing and not to have the latest coatings (so some contemporary offerings can outperform it in some areas). But, my oh my, the view is just stunning, so pleasurable, so easy on the eyes.

If I was to kneel in front of the gate of an optics company and beg for a binocular to be made, that would be a reasonably lightweight contemporary 7x35 Porro. Take the waterproof and compact APM 6x30 Porro, that could be a model to follow, most users talk about good build quality and nice optics... for less than 200 €!!!!!!!. Make it a 7x35 at 650 g and just take my money. Yes, there is a 7x35 Nikon AX which is waterproof, and cheaper. Well, I have it and I think highly of it for the money, but it's pretty chunky and heavy at around 800 g... which is the size/weight of a hefty 8x42, which kind of defeats the purpose of using a 7x35 in the first place.

The Tasco is BK7 and 10.5°. It's not quite as impressive as the "Adler" with 11° or the "Olympia" which is even wider, but it's got a bit more eye relief and more balanced view, not as much field curvature or pincushion. So I'd say it's probably my most comfortable wide angle 7x35.
The skeleton is a Seiwa Kogaku, J-B93, according to the miniature binos website one of the largest makers back in the day. For a bino with old coatings it has a rather neutral color rendition. And it's just so well made. Everything is just glass and metal, apart from the eye cups and some small leatherette inserts on the arms. I definitely need to get more of those skeleton binos.
I also have an old Nikon 6x15. I'm thinking about getting the newer version, while it's still made.
Philipp, I’m not familiar with the Adler. I recently acquired these Tasco 7x35’s. The case says imperial but not marked anywhere in the binos. These are Bk7 and are slightly smaller than than the other vintage wide field binos Ive seen. I’d guess due to smaller prisms. The eye relief is not bad, it’s better than the bigger brother 110. Here’s a few photos of both. The 110 is an extra I might be selling.

That little Bushnell looks great, looks like a quality built piece. How do they perform optically in comparison to some of the newer newer pockets?

Attachments

• 822A68E3-80B0-43A8-A46D-1EE89A7E392B.jpeg
    822A68E3-80B0-43A8-A46D-1EE89A7E392B.jpeg
    144.1 KB · Views: 8
  • DC858FEA-EA48-49C4-B5FF-8C82966D5052.jpeg
    DC858FEA-EA48-49C4-B5FF-8C82966D5052.jpeg
    98.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 942D529B-3CAC-4698-867F-B80C13322134.jpeg
    942D529B-3CAC-4698-867F-B80C13322134.jpeg
    142.3 KB · Views: 6
  • F51E71F1-71E0-41B0-9C4D-B1494C721F4F.jpeg
    F51E71F1-71E0-41B0-9C4D-B1494C721F4F.jpeg
    461.7 KB · Views: 7
  • A78C89C7-AE7C-4F90-A11E-4B3A40B088AF.jpeg
    A78C89C7-AE7C-4F90-A11E-4B3A40B088AF.jpeg
    254.5 KB · Views: 8
  • E2721646-D7BF-45BE-93A8-09AE43D023DA.jpeg
    E2721646-D7BF-45BE-93A8-09AE43D023DA.jpeg
    485.8 KB · Views: 8
Philipp, I’m not familiar with the Adler.
Just a random German word they printed on it. The actual maker is J-B116, Hattori Koki Seisakujo (I think but I don't have it with me as I'm on vacation).
That little Bushnell looks great, looks like a quality built piece. How do they perform optically in comparison to some of the newer newer pockets?
You mean the one labeled "Olympia"? Yes, it was also sold as a Bushnell Rangemaster. The build quality is great but optically it is not as good as the Adler or Tasco. A bit too much field curvature, even considering the huge FoV. Center sharpness is really good though and it's BaK4. And it came really cheap in a "double package" with a wide angle 9x35 "Katsuma":
img05edy7.jpg

Fun fact, the Bushnell "Olympia" is actually J-B22 as is my wide angle 7x50 also labeled "Olympia" but the logos, fonts and design are vastly different. So the bodies might actually be from different companies.

Just a random German word they printed on it. The actual maker is J-B116, Hattori Koki Seisakujo (I think but I don't have it with me as I'm on vacation).

You mean the one labeled "Olympia"? Yes, it was also sold as a Bushnell Rangemaster. The build quality is great but optically it is not as good as the Adler or Tasco. A bit too much field curvature, even considering the huge FoV. Center sharpness is really good though and it's BaK4. And it came really cheap in a "double package" with a wide angle 9x35 "Katsuma":
img05edy7.jpg

Fun fact, the Bushnell "Olympia" is actually J-B22 as is my wide angle 7x50 also labeled "Olympia" but the logos, fonts and design are vastly different. So the bodies might actually be from different companies.
No I was referring to that little 6 x 25 skeleton. I thought that was a Bushnell.

My 6x25 similar binocular is called Karlstein, an early name for Steiner. 11.5 degree field.

I also have the nice 7x25 similar Mayflower with 10 degree field. This has several other names also.

There are numerous names on these miniature binoculars from tiny to quite large.

They are seen in old T.V. news, at athletic events, horse racing etc.

Regards,
B.

My 6x25 similar binocular is called Karlstein, an early name for Steiner. 11.5 degree field.

I also have the nice 7x25 similar Mayflower with 10 degree field. This has several other names also.

There are numerous names on these miniature binoculars from tiny to quite large.

They are seen in old T.V. news, at athletic events, horse racing etc.

Regards,
B.
Pictures please 🙏🏼

Sorry, I don't do pictures.

However, there may be as many as ten different names on the same binocular.

The website, miniature binoculars, I think, probably has a thousand or more named binoculars.

I do like the miniature silver and black micro binoculars, but in my experience they don't hold collimation well.

However, my 7x23 Nipole 9.5 degrees was used for maybe 15 years till it lost collimation.
It is also now rusty, having travelled the world with me.
My eyes were young and it was the only binocular I had or needed.

Even now the common 10x, 12x 15x and 20x 50 monoculars have about ten different 'makers' names on identical monoculars and identical boxes except for the so called makers names.
The over enthusiastic claims go up as the price goes down.

Regards,
B.

That was a J-B93. The name printed on it is "SUI", not sure, what it stands for.
Oh, and I think I got something mixed up. The 7x35 above was also sold as a "Jason"-model, not Bushnell.
Thx for the clarification on the Tasco and Jason. I see a lot of similar 6x25 pockets that look very close to yours, the Bushnell model is very similar. I wonder if all the MIJ are all optically the same.

Attachments

• DD17F997-D9B7-4963-A148-638126D125AC.jpeg
    DD17F997-D9B7-4963-A148-638126D125AC.jpeg
    243.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 2178A1F7-55C2-45C0-AEFE-33A7EA1D4C51.jpeg
    2178A1F7-55C2-45C0-AEFE-33A7EA1D4C51.jpeg
    243 KB · Views: 13
Hello,

I would have to write that my favourite 7x binocular has to be my late model 7x42 Dialyt ClassiC. There are more modern glasses but this binocular has a great wide view with good control of chromatic aberration and its long body provided ease of handling and a multiple ways of getting a stable grip. It does not have very near focussing because it behaves more like a Porro than a roof prism but it does provide some stereopsis. My second favourite is a 7x40 IOR, a clone of the Jena 7x40 Porro with individual focussing, so it is not really suited for bird watching but it great for looking for planets at dawn and at dusk.

Stay safe,
Arthur
7x40:42.jpg

@Pinewood
The IOR is great. I like the sophisticated internal focusing of the eye pieces. And those super comfy rubber eye cups. How old is yours? Mine is from 1980.

@Paultricounty
That looks similar but on mine the frame is less rounded. There were a number of makers. Too bad there is no pic from the front so we could see the JB number.
Interesting fact - they were invented in Germany.

@Pinewood
The IOR is great. I like the sophisticated internal focusing of the eye pieces. And those super comfy rubber eye cups. How old is yours? Mine is from 1980.
Hello Philipp,

I would guess that I bought the IOR in 2006; for sure, after 2004. It outperforms my WWII military 7x50 binoculars but not my Zeiss 7x50 Naut, aka Marine. Modern coating make a difference. Does yours have multi-coating?

Stay safe,
Arthur

Last edited:
@Pinewood
I'm not sure, the coating has some purple and some yellow in it but the yellow might be from the radiation resistant glass. It looks like one surface is not really coated as you can clearly see my hand and the kitchen window in the reflection.
img68jud14.jpg

I had a 1976 IOR (at least that was the date on the binoculars), I assume it was the year, but I'm happy to stand corrected. So I'm not 100 % sure about how advanced those coatings were. However, what I can say is that the level of detail and the sharpness, contrast and "feeling" of resolution was simply amazing (I did not measure it in any proper way). In spite of the yellow hue, the image was immersive, FOV was really nice too. I was really surprised by the quality of the image. In the end I just sold them because I simply had no use for them (due to IF), but I think highly of them. An odd but satisfying glass IMHO.

I had a 1976 IOR (at least that was the date on the binoculars), I assume it was the year, but I'm happy to stand corrected. So I'm not 100 % sure about how advanced those coatings were. However, what I can say is that the level of detail and the sharpness, contrast and "feeling" of resolution was simply amazing (I did not measure it in any proper way). In spite of the yellow hue, the image was immersive, FOV was really nice too. I was really surprised by the quality of the image. In the end I just sold them because I simply had no use for them (due to IF), but I think highly of them. An odd but satisfying glass IMHO.
@yarrellii This week, I ordered a 7x20 Nikon Travelmate III (CF III) on eBay. I was inspired by your many colorful posts praising it as a compact (subcompact?) that feels more like a full-size bino--31mm inner-diameter eyecups, large focusing wheel, and single hinge. I'll add my impressions about it to my recent post comparing six 5X-to-7X reverse porros. Let's see if it replaces my Hinode 6x21 S1 as my take-everywhere pants-pocket binoc.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back