• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What’s your favourite bird of prey? (2 Viewers)

goshawk just because they never look like a goshawk everything from peregrine to buzzard but when you see one you know

merlin i usually see them zipping across the moors doing that mistle thrush flying thing

peregrine just because i see them a lot the sight of a peregrine taking prey is something special

But I never saw eurasian hobbies. I'm pretty sure I saw a goshawk (but I didn't see it too well)
Both those species may need some searching and finding to see, but that makes seeing them more rewarding. If you're living in the countryside, goshawks won't be easy to see unless you can find a nest (which may take a lot of walking). Your best chance might be to find a good viewpoint in the early spring and watch for goshawks flying above the trees in display. In the winter you might see them hunting flocks of domestic pigeons near towns and villages, but the attacks are often very fast and sudden, so not easy to spot.

Hobbies should be easier to see, but only from late spring till early autumn: finding a nest can be very difficult, so it might be better to look for large numbers of suitable prey (dragonflies, swallows and other similar birds like swifts and martins). The trouble of finding them will be worth it, I think, if you can see a hobby chasing swifts, or even gracefully catching dragonflies. Just imagine trying to catch a dragonfly by hand ... but even young hobbies that have been flying for only 4-5 weeks make it look easy.

-------------------

The other raptor that would be really interesting to know if they are in your area is the peregrine (Sokół). In the UK almost all peregrines nest on cliffs or buildings, but in Central Europe there are some that nest in trees, using other birds' nests. Maybe have a look for ravens' nests in tall trees and electricity pylons... if you find them and can spend time watching them, there's a very good chance you will see some interesting stuff over the next several months: flying displays, hunting, chasing away other peregrines and so on.

Both those species may need some searching and finding to see, but that makes seeing them more rewarding. If you're living in the countryside, goshawks won't be easy to see unless you can find a nest (which may take a lot of walking). Your best chance might be to find a good viewpoint in the early spring and watch for goshawks flying above the trees in display. In the winter you might see them hunting flocks of domestic pigeons near towns and villages, but the attacks are often very fast and sudden, so not easy to spot.

Hobbies should be easier to see, but only from late spring till early autumn: finding a nest can be very difficult, so it might be better to look for large numbers of suitable prey (dragonflies, swallows and other similar birds like swifts and martins). The trouble of finding them will be worth it, I think, if you can see a hobby chasing swifts, or even gracefully catching dragonflies. Just imagine trying to catch a dragonfly by hand ... but even young hobbies that have been flying for only 4-5 weeks make it look easy.

-------------------

The other raptor that would be really interesting to know if they are in your area is the peregrine (Sokół). In the UK almost all peregrines nest on cliffs or buildings, but in Central Europe there are some that nest in trees, using other birds' nests. Maybe have a look for ravens' nests in tall trees and electricity pylons... if you find them and can spend time watching them, there's a very good chance you will see some interesting stuff over the next several months: flying displays, hunting, chasing away other peregrines and so on.
I never even tried to look for any specific bird. It is always luck for me. But i'm planning to. (like to find more buzzard nests next breeding season, there is a lot of nests here)

Here there is quite a lot of swallows and swifts. And eurasian hobbies are a bit rare in specific locations in Poland.
And birds of prey always make it look easy to catch, hah.

I have never saw a prerigine in my area. But I know where a nest of prerigine falcons is, it isn't too far from me. (On a big chimney) But it is very very high up.

Thanks for the tips.

Last edited:
I have red shouldered hawks on my property. The first time I looked down on one flying 6 feet above the ground outside my window I was amazed. I had only seen owls fly like that. I am less keen on bald eagles that are nest robbers and having been driving down the osprey population in my state. Fitting though that they were chosen to be the national bird.

I searched the internet for scientific papers about PSI in eagles. I found none. I'm pretty sure that these 800 psi or 400-500 psi weren't studied and these are just some random numbers that the internet made up. I'm sure golden eagles have a lot of force, but how much it is hard to tell.
Yeah, the people in the british birds of prey centre told me that the grip on a golden eagle is around 800 psi, but then it said somewhere that it was 500. Then I heard something else about a harpy only being like 450 and they're the strongest grip. So I'm just gonna say that with golden eagles, it's 800 psi knowing a great white can be around 4,000 psi.

@Elkhornsun - that's an opinion shared by no less an American than Benjamin Franklin, who must have seen similar interactions between bald eagles and ospreys:

He is a Bird of bad moral Character. He does not get his Living honestly. You may have seen him perched on some dead Tree near the River, where, too lazy to fish for himself, he watches the Labour of the Fishing Hawk; and when that diligent Bird has at length taken a Fish, and is bearing it to his Nest for the Support of his Mate and young Ones, the Bald Eagle pursues him and takes it from him.

If I remember rightly Franklin thought the wild turkey was a more fitting national bird!

@wil - the thing with those statistics is - how are they recorded/measured, and are they reflective of an eagle's maximum power? A captive golden eagle being measured on laboratory equipment is not likely to generate the same forces as a wild bird or, I suppose, an experienced falconry bird putting forth its full strength while attempting to subdue large and difficult prey.

For what it's worth, I think nature has given all birds of prey enough power to quickly subdue the prey they normally take. In the case of birds like harpy eagles there probably is a significant overkill factor, as it's vital that dangerous prey like monkeys be subdued almost immediately. But the real fascination with raptors is how they get into position to apply that power and weaponry - using stealth, speed, positioning, surprise, understanding the terrain they are hunting over and the capabilities of both their prey and themselves.

It's the sparrowhawk for me. I love going into near by woods with my dog trying to spot sparrowhawks, the couple of buzzards and kestrals I can find.
The sparrowhawks are the hardest to spot as they see/hear my dog first and go.
The buzzards are quite a new addition, about the last decade they turned up.
I'm lucky I live not far from Leeds and red kites are only 30 minute journey.
I'd love to see a goshawk and osprey but having no transport and looking after my wife they will just have to remain on the wishlist for now.

Peregrine. I see them flying over the house regularly. I once had three fly over when I was building a roof to our two-storey extension, it was as if I could reach out and touch them.

Then, if we're being greedy: Sparrowhawk, followed by Goshawk (I've only ever seen one, in the Yorkshire Dales), Golden Eagle (Isle of Skye) and Merlin.

here in the USA it would have to be bald eagle. Just so much bigger than all the other birds.
There's just no denying that the bald eagle is one of the most beautiful birds on earth, and it would probably have more support if it were less common. Bald eagles and horned puffins are both absolutely iconic in appearance!

There's just no denying that the bald eagle is one of the most beautiful birds on earth, and it would probably have more support if it were less common. Bald eagles and horned puffins are both absolutely iconic in appearance!
It might be Golden Eagle if I saw them more often. It's been very cool to experience the return of bald eagles to this area (New England). Never saw them growing up. Lifetime, I actually saw a Golden Eagle before a Bald. Now nesting bald eagles live within a mile of my house.

As I learned last year, Stellar Sea Eagles are 1/3rd larger than Bald Eagles. They're all spectacular creatures, a throwback to the dinosaurs. Tolkien realized this and put them in Lord of the Rings :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back