• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What Are These Two Ducks? (1 Viewer)

Maryland Flicker

I have my idea on what these two ducks are, but I won't say so as to avoid influencing anyone's opinion. The photo was taken at a fresh water lake in Maryland, USA.

No worries about the American Coot in the middle.

I've cropped one of the photos.

Thanks.

Attachments

• DSC_00220002.JPG
    DSC_00220002.JPG
    144.8 KB · Views: 147
  • DSC_00200001.JPG
    DSC_00200001.JPG
    33 KB · Views: 166
The ducks that are colored black, white and gray appear to be Lesser Scaups. They have the slight bump on their heads unlike the perfectly rounded head of a Greater Scaup. The others might be Ring-necked Ducks because of the white rings around the bill but I am not certain. Might want to check in on that because I could be wrong. I am kind of new at this bird watching/identifying stuff.

They look like Ring-necked Ducks to me with the white crescent between the black breast and the gray sides.

Thanks for the responses.

I want to clear up some possible confusion. Obviously, most of the ducks in the more zoomed out picture are Ring-necked Ducks, but I'm referring to the two I've cropped (I provided the bigger picture in case you wanted to zoom in yourself).

I've included another picture of a side-by-side comparison. The duck on the left is the familiar Ring-necked Duck. The duck on the right is the one in question. The white crescent you guys pointed out is obvious in the Ring-necked Duck, but just about non-existent in the other.

I'm just gonna go ahead and say that I think its a scaup, and that I'm leaning towards Greater Scaup because of the point on the head being more forward, as opposed to the point being more to the rear on a Lesser Scaup.

This is just my opinion. I'm still interested in what others think. Thanks.

Attachments

• ducks.JPG
    ducks.JPG
    30.8 KB · Views: 108
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back