• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What bird did I see gliding over Walton today?? (2 Viewers)

David Smith

Warrington Lancs
Sorry to be vague but we saw it briefly the first time and while driving the 2nd time.
It was on its own so difficult to size but..........here goes.

It appeared to be as big or bigger than a buzzard (overhead it was difficult to be possitive).
Wings where NOT rounded or fingered like a Buzzard.........almost pointed.
It was gliding and when using its wings it was a very slow/smooth wing beat.
It seemed to glide as though it was hunting.

I would go with Kite but the only Kites I have seen had very definite 'forked' tails and this didn't.
Peregrine also seems to fit exept the speed of flight and wing beat (according to the book......not experience :))

Just hoping someone else has been watching it???
Thanks

Last edited:
Given the area could you rule out Great Black-backed gull?

Thanks for the reply.
That is (if I may say) good lateral thinking. Looking at the book a first winter GBBG IS mottled underneath (as against white)
While remaining open minded and only seeing it briefly my inclination is to say no as everything said to me 'bird of prey'.
However........I am often wrong re i.d :-O
Thanks again.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back