• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What bird is this? Singapore Dec 2016 (1 Viewer)

TwiddlingThumbs

The photo is not good but I hope someone will be able to tell me what this bird is. This is the only shot I had of this bird.

I've gone through the list of birds that have the "hood" on the head but none of them fits what I see in this photo.

My list included :
1) Male Common Iora in breeding plumage - the belly would have been yellow
2) Golden-bellied Gerygone - belly would have been yellow
3) Male Yellow-rumped Flycatcher - belly would have been yellow as well
4) Kingfishers - Collared or Black-capped would have been too big
5) Shrikes - Shape and size does not fit

One of the birds on the Singapore list is the Black-winged Flycatcher-shrike but is rare. The white wing bar in the photo does not fit the Flycatcher-shrike. There is a Bar-winged Flycatcher-shrike but I don't believe it occurs in Singapore.

I may be missing the obvious. Appreciate any help!

Attachments

• Unknown.jpg
    Unknown.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 113
Certainly a possibility, Andy, although the House Sparrow is also listed as rare in Singapore. I've only ever seen it on my travels in Thailand and Melbourne. The white wing bar does fit a House Sparrow though.

Thanks for your input!

Certainly a possibility, Andy, although the House Sparrow is also listed as rare in Singapore. I've only ever seen it on my travels in Thailand and Melbourne. The white wing bar does fit a House Sparrow though.

Thanks for your input!

Thinking about it, Yellow-throated Sparrow (Chestnut-shouldered Petronia) is more likely?

A

I think Andy is correct with regard to the bluish-white spot. However, Ashy Minivet is probably more likely than a Flycatcher-shrike. Personally, I would have liked it to be a Flycatcher-shrike. Oh well...I'll just have to learn to take better pictures.

Thanks guys. Cheers!

Twiddling Thumbs,
Think you do have a flycatcher shrike there. As you say the only problem is that it is an higher elevation bird. The lowland representative could possibly photograph with an apparent wing bar. Females are funny like that!

Having toyed with the image a little (see attached), I think there is a white brow contrasting with the darker crown, in addition to the features John mentioned, and I think perhaps the wingbar is there after all - it's just caught the light in the same way that the white side to the nape has. So I think it has to be Ashy Mininvet, perhaps a female resembling this individual:

http://m5.i.pbase.com/o4/97/484697/1/54309115.3513111805web.jpg

What I don't like is how large the bill seems to be - it seems to protrude beyond the branch. Most Ashy Minivets seem to have smallish short bills.

A difficult photograph!

Attachments

• Unknown.jpg
    Unknown.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 44
Thanks for taking the time to look into this further, Andy! Your "manipulated" photo and the photo in the link provided certainly points to an Ashy Minivet.

I think John was spot on too. There was something niggling me, and having looked again, the primary extension is too long for a Shrike-flycatcher. Although the short-tailed illusion is better corrected with the manipulated image, it still goes to show how much digital images can manipulate and mislead proportions sometimes.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back