• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What Birds Are In Canadian Gardens Right Now? (1 Viewer)

Well, it's certainly been an interesting day in my yard. I was able to see my downy pair mating in a tree across the road this morning. The hairies were getting ready for the same thing. Then a pair of pileateds showed up and worked the trees of the neighborhood... lots of hammering! Photo in the gallery.
On top of this, spring's first junco and mourning dove showed up at the feeders along with a few more starlings. Things are looking up. It would appear that migration is finally in full swing!!
Come on purple finches!!

We have been blessed with some really great weather for the whole week and the bird population has changed. Now, when I look out at the feeders, I see that the sparrows are taking over. We have 10-12 DE Juncos, about six Song Sparrows and three American Tree Sparrows. The White-throated Sparrows haven't come to the feeders yet but are busy scurrying around in the brush along the driveway and behind the house. Some people are reporting Fox sparrows but I haven't seen one yet.

snowyowl said:
We have been blessed with some really great weather for the whole week and the bird population has changed. Now, when I look out at the feeders, I see that the sparrows are taking over. We have 10-12 DE Juncos, about six Song Sparrows and three American Tree Sparrows. The White-throated Sparrows haven't come to the feeders yet but are busy scurrying around in the brush along the driveway and behind the house. Some people are reporting Fox sparrows but I haven't seen one yet.
Some of the migrants appear to be a little late this year compared to what I've noticed in past years. No sparrows yet or purple finches. This is the first time that I haven't seen any purples in March and chipping sparrows are usually the first to arrive. I can hear more juncos when I'm outside now tho', just a-twittering away under the trees! :)
The chipmunks are coming out now too... spotted a little one yesterday. Hope they leave my flowerbeds alone! :(

No robins here yet but I did spot and hear a few more juncos this morning! Also see my post about the pileated woodpecker war!! :)

Tammie, I think this thread should be revived for the Fall.
I've got R-t. Hummingbirds; A. Goldfinches, Purple Finches, Mourning Doves, Blue Jays and C. Grackles. There are a lot of E. Starlings around but they aren't coming to the feeders, instead they are hitting the Mountain Ash. I hope tha they don't clean off all the berries because I'm counting on the berries drawing in some neat birds this Winter. I saw a Hairy in the lilac the other day but haven'y seen him since. There are still lots of song sparrows in the thickets. Lots of A. Robins. Not a chickadee to be seen.

Birds In Canadian Gardens This Fall

Hi Dan, thanks for resurrecting this thread.
Right now, I have:

1. Hairy Woodpecker
2. Black Capped Chickadees
3. Pine Siskins
4. Purple Finches
5. American Goldfinches
6. Evening Grosbeaks
7. Grackles
8. Red Winged Blackbirds
9. Starlings
10. Chipping Sparrows
11. R.T. Hummers
12. Mourning Dove

Haven't seen a robin since July. The swallows seem to have left too. I'm keeping an eye open for white crowned sparrows, white throated sparrows and rose breasted grosbeaks to pass through soon.

Not exactly garden...but I have just returned from a visit to East brunswick
with the travelling Naturalists....and I now know what birds you are talking about! cos I've seen quite a lot! 131 different types in 10 days!
I love the Black capped Chickadees...leading all the Warblers...around!
I will attampt a report for the birding Trips section....a more detailed report will appear on the travelling Naturalists web site.www.naturalist.co.uk

Loved the trip...Gran Manan was great and the Whale watching...

PS American Robins everywhere!

My birds here in Missouri at the feeder are pretty much "same'o, same'o".

American Robin
House Finch
House Sparrow
Downy Woodpecker
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Black-capped Chickadee
Blue Jay
Northern Cardinal
Common Grackle

I usually get a few wood warblers passing through our yard in the Spring/Fall, but so far this Fall I have not seen any in the yard.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back