• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What did you see in your binoculars today? (6 Viewers)

Yesterday, since it wasn't raining, I put my daughter to sleep by taking a pram ride and then went for a bike ride on the mountain above the house. I saw many buzzards including a group of 12 in migration two sparrow hawks a goshawk a young golden eagle and two milvus, milvus milvus I think.

Milvus milvus appears to be a magnificent bird, I wish we had them here.

I guess the Red-tailed Hawk (Buteo jamaicensis) is about as close as we can come.

Milvus milvus appears to be a magnificent bird, I wish we had them here.
Yes, the Red Kite is regarded by many to be the most handsome of all raptors.
About half the world's breeding population is here in Germany, but on a trip to the UK in 2010 I saw them in South Wales and in Buckinghamshire, where I grew up. As a child I never saw raptors in the wild, but I think they have been reintroduced there.
Strange that the Black Kite, in contrast, is so widely distributed. I even saw them in Oz.

John

Red kite now are on the western edge of London, saw one near my house recently. Only saw a little egret hunting for fish in a local park in the drizzle this morning…

Peter

A pair of Softshell turtles and two pair of Red eared turtles. All close by each other. They are extremely wary. Zeiss VP 10x25.

Mike

Red kite now are on the western edge of London, saw one near my house recently. Only saw a little egret hunting for fish in a local park in the drizzle this morning…

Peter
Several kites seen this rather gray and drizzly afternoon in Hampshire and a couple of Kestrels, a male and a juvenile. Also a green woodpecker in a tree, which is always nice, a nd a Great White egret which are much less common than small egrets round here, so I was pleased with that. Also heard a Cetti and several yellowhammers.

Just returned from a great trip to South Texas - one of my favorite places to visit as it overlaps both Southwestern USA and the northernmost range of many Mexican species. What a fantastic adventure. The main challenge is geography - Texas is huge and the habitat often hundreds of miles apart. A small price to pay for such rewarding birding adventures. A few highlights follow:

Zone-Tailed Hawk
Zone-Tailed Hawk

IMG_5116.jpeg
Vermillion Flycatcher

IMG_5123.jpeg
Green Jay

IMG_2242.jpeg
Bare-Thoated Tiger Heron - seen by a number of folks but as far as I can tell this is the first recorded in USA

IMG_5120.jpeg
Cassin’s Sparrow

IMG_2246.jpeg
Aplomado Falcon

In addition, a few “lifers” that I didn’t manage to get clear pictures of:
  • Whooping Crane
  • Mottled Owl - also first specimen recorded in USA (ID’d by several)
  • Morelet’s Seedeater
  • Audubon’s Oriole
  • Brown Jay
  • Rose-throated Becard
  • Red-billed Pigeon
  • Roadside Hawk

Just returned from a great trip to South Texas - one of my favorite places to visit as it overlaps both Southwestern USA and the northernmost range of many Mexican species. What a fantastic adventure. The main challenge is geography - Texas is huge and the habitat often hundreds of miles apart. A small price to pay for such rewarding birding adventures. A few highlights follow:

View attachment 1564560
Zone-Tailed Hawk

View attachment 1564561
Vermillion Flycatcher

View attachment 1564562
Green Jay

View attachment 1564563
Bare-Thoated Tiger Heron - seen by a number of folks but as far as I can tell this is the first recorded in USA

View attachment 1564565
Cassin’s Sparrow

View attachment 1564566
Aplomado Falcon

In addition, a few “lifers” that I didn’t manage to get clear pictures of:
  • Whooping Crane
  • Mottled Owl - also first specimen recorded in USA (ID’d by several)
  • Morelet’s Seedeater
  • Audubon’s Oriole
  • Brown Jay
  • Rose-throated Becard
  • Red-billed Pigeon
  • Roadside Hawk
Wow 🤩

My only visit to Texas was before I got more serious about birding, and I had no optics with me.

The Scissor-tailed Flycatchers Tyrannus forficatus made the biggest impression on me.

As I recall, they would gather on the local wires around dusk.

Aplomado Falcon
Brilliant bird. How rare are they in that area, and what sort of habitat was it? Following an Aplomado in high-speed pursuit over the mesquite is just the sort of stuff of which alpha binocular adverts would be made (if optics companies had the budget!).

Last edited:
Aplomado Falcon: I found it in Cameron County Texas on a desert plain not far from the edge of a low brush riparian zone surrounding a man made lake and water treatment facility. It is a known location for them but far less than a “gimmie.” I was in the area for a while looking everywhere. When examining a cellular tower in my spotting scope I could see part of the silhouette of a bird. After some study I could see it was the Aplomado. So I waited and he finally jumped out into an open spot where I could snatch a pic. Cannot image any prey escaping his dive-bombing run from that perch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back