• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What did you see in your binoculars today? (6 Viewers)

Congratulations. Do the first two tolerate one another?
Yes, it seems so, Tenex. There were two nesting boxes in that barn. One box-shaped and the other one was pipe-shaped. The barn owl peeped out from inside the box-shaped one while the little owl was sitting in the woodwork. I suppose, the pipe-shaped one is the little owl's home. It was certainly not pure coincidence that the little owl was there as I had seen it there the week before. Funny how some animals share their homes with others. There's a badger's sett nearby which the man of the house seems to share with a fox and a couple of rabbits (!).

Last edited:
A group of seven Ruffs foraging at the water's edge. Had to use my scope for the ID, and although I have never seen Ruffs in breeding plumage, I think, judging by the beaks, there was a male or two amongst them.

John

Not exactly seen through my binoculars but when I opened the blinds this morning there was a female mallard walking along the top of the conifer hedge. Unusual to say the least as the nearest body of water is a couple of miles away. Unfortunately I did not have time to get a picture

A nice walk around a reservoir this morning featured numerous ducks including our season's first Ruddys, killdeer, meadowlarks, blackbirds, robins etc, a Northern Harrier, a pair of ospreys (one of which harried the Harrier), and to finish it all off a Bald Eagle who flew right over us so low we almost felt we should duck, the closest I've ever been. Actually got the bin on him by reflex but wondered whether I should just have watched without it. (SLC 15x56)

A Jay in our London back garden(!) Though only for a short time in the trees and the bird was completely quiet.
Normally heard screaching in nearby Epping Forest with a flash of white & blue before vanishing into cover.
Great close up views from about 20yds with 12x.

Started off with a beautiful (presumed) pair of Red-tailed Hawks soaring together. No courting behavior was observed.

Then, in a different place, one Double Crested Cormorant, five female Common Mergansers with one male. A (presumed) pair of Common Ravens, one of whom was heard to emit what I can only describe as "a melodious croak."

Then, in yet another place, where I hadn't seen one in several years, a very skittish female American Kestrel.

The usual Canada Geese, One (presumed) pair of Cackling Geese ( a ways down the road in a different body of water) and of course, quite a few pairs of Mallards.

All in all a very nice afternoon and about a 35 to 40 mile drive.

I don't get out of the car, because I am deathly afraid of ticks, due to personally knowing too many people who have had Lyme Disease, and other assorted horror stories.

I saw blue Tits, Blackbirds and a fella in the garden over our hedge taking down a massive larch tree that had really grown big!!

John..

I don't get out of the car, because I am deathly afraid of ticks, due to personally knowing too many people who have had Lyme Disease, and other assorted horror stories.
Rare in the UK, but my 20 year old neice had Lymes. She was bitten on the scalp under her hair and had not been anywhere out of the York/Hull area of England, so she was not diagnosed for quite some time. Eventually my sister asked the GP specifically to test for Lymes! Not a nice thing to catch but she completely recovered after taking a course of antibiotics.

Haven't seen ravens for years since I walked in the Lake District. Someone said they can now be seen near Rainham on the Thames Estuary, so hopefully in a few months after lockdown...

A birder's dream fulfilled! A pair of Spoon-billed Sandpipers landed in my garden.
Their call was reminiscent of "Viva Colonia".

John
Wow!

According to what I just read (never having heard of the bird) there are only a few hundred of them left.

It sounds like they were far, far from home.

That's quite a "score".

John are you sure they weren't singing Sueña con el bebé, on this day of all days?

Lee
No, Lee, definitely Viva Colonia. It's otherwise mostly heard in the fifth season (Carnival) or on the rare occasions when FC Cologne are winning.

John

PS:- Seriously, the Spoon-billed Sandpiper will remain an unfulfilled dream. IIRC, there's a member on the forum with a sketch of one as his avatar.

No, Lee, definitely Viva Colonia. It's otherwise mostly heard in the fifth season (Carnival) or on the rare occasions when FC Cologne are winning.

John

PS:- Seriously, the Spoon-billed Sandpiper will remain an unfulfilled dream. IIRC, there's a member on the forum with a sketch of one as his avatar.
Seriously John, we have a Spoon-bill in our bedroom. It is a delightful pin-badge from Leica and belongs to Troubadoris. And yes we would love to see one (or more).

Lee

Haven't seen ravens for years since I walked in the Lake District. Someone said they can now be seen near Rainham on the Thames Estuary, so hopefully in a few months after lockdown...
Sorry they're rare for you... we have them in shopping centers here. (Not my photo but taken by someone I know)

Attachments

• Raven.jpg
    Raven.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 5

Users who are viewing this thread

Back