• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What did you see in your binoculars today? (2 Viewers)

In the early morning, I dropped my wife off at the Oakland airport for her to visit family, and drove straight to Arrowhead Marsh, which is on the road to the airport. My best bird was a Lincoln's Sparrow, which was perched close, and made more of a ticking sound than any sort of musical call...I wandered for about 90 minutes, with a scope to ID the ducks in rafts, a fair ways out. My bin was the Leica Retrovid, 7 x 35, which paired well with the scope.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-10-28 at 5.08.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-10-28 at 5.08.04 PM.png
    902.5 KB · Views: 10
Yesterday: Chough, Jackdaw, Hooded Crow, Sanderling, Ringed Plover, Redshank, Common Gull, Herring Gull, Gannet, Meadow Pipit, Rock Pipit, Oystercatcher, Great Northern Diver (Common Loon), Shag, Cormorant, Barnacle Goose.

Lee

No good views of birds as of yet (or at least none wanted to sit still for a pic). But a river cruise ship drove by just when I had finished adjusting the CZJ 8x30 I have bought a short while ago.
IMG_20221029_094050.jpg
IMG_20221029_094222.jpg

Yesterday (28 October 2022) I saw a female Goldeneye, Peregrine Falcon (too high up to tell the sex) which was getting mobbed by a couple of Buzzards.

Marsh Harrier was probably star of the day, but returning Brent geese are always nice to see and I can't resist Stonechats.

A female Hooded Merganser far off on a pond, catching a small fish and apparently playing with it -- tossing it about in her beak, throwing it a foot or so away in the water and snatching it back again, several times. (SLC 15x56)

I have discovered a Red-tailed Hawk living in the vicinity of our Old Folks Home, and had a while to watch it this afternoon, as it moved around its territory.

Victory SF 8X32 (still an absolutely breathtaking glass)

I have discovered a Red-tailed Hawk living in the vicinity of our Old Folks Home, and had a while to watch it this afternoon, as it moved around its territory.

Victory SF 8X32 (still an absolutely breathtaking glass)
Very nice bird, happy for you!
I didn't bring my SF8x32 to Islay because I knew if I did, I would not pay sufficient attention to the SFL 10x40 I am reviewing, but boy, do I miss that SF.....

Lee

Red-tailed is the default hawk around here. We even had a pair nesting at the end of the street this spring, high up in a spruce, with two chicks (that we could count) fledged. I never tire of them, and enjoy their varied coloration. (I've seen more of the paler Krider's lately.)

I mostly see Red-tails, Northern Harriers, and American Kestrels.

I’m not very good at identifying the others, only the unmistakable ones.

The Kestrels are skittish, and do not like you looking at them when they are perched, if you are inside about 100 yards. I’m convinced they can see me about as well as I see them with my 8X glasses.

Last edited:
Finally found a Dartford Warbler on my patch - there's been two or three about a mile away at Oare this year so it was always a possibility, but I'd not been lucky enough over the past few years.

Sister's house nearby, yellowhammer and great spotted woodpecker in the garden (Steiner 8x44 Discovery), the latter on the nuts and fat-balls, the former underneath. Never seen a yellowhammer venture onto bird feeders, always on the ground picking at the droppings.
Our house, three redwing on the trees at the end of the garden (Steiner 10x44 Discovery).

And I had to look up the American yellowhammer, beautiful bird.
I guess the cold spell in the UK last week has meant birds are foraging out of their usual comfort zones, as none of the three I mentioned are garden birds

A female American Kestrel bobbing and balancing on branches in gusty wind by lake, and a dozen Western Bluebirds foraging in low afternoon sun peeking out from clouds. (Range maps say they should have left but they don't know that.) Gorgeous in SLC 10x56 (and wife's FL 10x32). Nice to be out of the deep freeze.

Hello,

Christmas morning's temperature was -9ºC, a tad warmer than yesterday's -14ºC, warm enough for a walk to Central Park. My first bird of the day was an American robin, which are scarce at the end of December, then white throat sparrows, then on the ground was a red tail hawk. Just being on the ground suggested that it was immature, so I circled it, at a distance and saw its striped tail. The next birds of interest were fox sparrows, only my second sighting for the season, but much better views than first sighting. Since the Lake was frozen over, I did not see any waterfowl except Canada geese, on the ice.

As I was talking to a student from China, who was studying in Texas, I pointed out a downy woodpecker. He was surprised that it was not considered a nuisance. I pointed out that it is considered beneficial for trees.

Merry Christmas,
Arthur

Only had time to pop out Christmas morning for 20 minutes, but enjoyed watching the Redshank and a Common Sandpiper on the creek.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back