• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What did you see in your binoculars today? (3 Viewers)

Terra 10x42 ED- roller, tumbler pigeons in flight- what a bizarre sight seeing a swirling mass of birds with individual birds apparently falling out of the skies while rest continuing their corkscrewing flight above an apartment building about 3 blocks away. Must be a pigeon fancier in that building Pat

Hello,

A better than usual day in New York City's Central Park:
mallards
Northern shovellers
wood duck, male
ruddy ducks
American coots
hooded mergansers, female
buffleheads, male and female
double crested cormorant
red belly woodpeckers, male and female
great blue heron, immature
redwing blackbirds, male, adult and immature
white breasted nuthatches
tufted titmice
white throat sparrows
mourning doves
song sparrows
American goldfinches
a phoebe
blue jays
golden crown kinglets

Stay safe,
Arthur

Spring migration is on full swing around here, so everyday you simply go for a walk you spot something new and inspiring. On early February I saw the first swallows and house martins, and today I spotted the first swifts. Today I also saw the first garganey and common redstar of the year. It's a magic season. The icing on the cake was a black stork yesterday, which is a pretty rare sight on the Balearic islands. So, full steam ahead!

248 Golden Eagles in 10 hours. Helping out on an official raptor count.
What sort of location gets so many?

Today: a flock of 50+ Bohemian Waxwings, all around us in the trees. While quite rare here, some have been seen this winter, and having eaten all the berries they're now flitting out to catch insects from high perches. We watched for a while, and then a Cooper's Hawk seemed to come out of nowhere and the Waxwings alll flew off.

What sort of location gets so many?

Today: a flock of 50+ Bohemian Waxwings, all around us in the trees. While quite rare here, some have been seen this winter, and having eaten all the berries they're now flitting out to catch insects from high perches. We watched for a while, and then a Cooper's Hawk seemed to come out of nowhere and the Waxwings alll flew off.

Kananaskis Country, Alberta, Canada. Hay Meadow/Mount Lorette site. They are dispersed on both their summer and winter grounds, but during migration many of them funnel along the front ranges of the Canadian Rockies. They use the wind coming off the ridges to make great time to their breeding grounds.

www.eaglewatch.ca

Very nice, and a useful reminder. We have Golden Eagles year-round here so I easily forget about migration. (Bald Eagles too which is more unusual.)

Interesting that this route was only discovered in 1992! The video from your eaglewatch page is worth watching: The RMERF Story on Vimeo

A point I'd like to understand better is the 40% decline in count over 30 years. That's less Arctic migration/breeding, but does it indicate a drop in total population or just less migration, with more eagles remaining further south in the Rockies lately? (The point was made that an episode of glaciation may have been responsible for setting this up in the first place.)

Last edited:
I imagine that would be a tough topic to study given how dispersed, remote and rugged much of their habit is. I was also surprised that no one noticed this migration route until 1992!

Unexpectedly detoured to Finchale Priory where river bends have created 100ft high river cliffs with old woods.
Had close views of three of our familiar favourites in bright sunlight, a grey wagtail catching flies under the bridge, a dipper sat on a mossy riverside stone, and then near the top of the cliffs a pair of song thrush were feeding on the muddy path and (when we passed) on nearby yew trees.
Also of note was a bold robin perched only 6 feet away in a bush by the shop which, when I stopped, took my stare directly and sang confidently at me for some minutes. I felt like whistling back like Dr Dolittle 😄, but there were people sat at tables close by. It only vanished deeper inside the shrub when a family walked past.
Had my Opticron 6x32 traveller in pocket.

Hello,

A better than usual day in New York City's Central Park:
mallards
Northern shovellers
wood duck, male
ruddy ducks
American coots
hooded mergansers, female
buffleheads, male and female
double crested cormorant
red belly woodpeckers, male and female
great blue heron, immature
redwing blackbirds, male, adult and immature
white breasted nuthatches
tufted titmice
white throat sparrows
mourning doves
song sparrows
American goldfinches
a phoebe
blue jays
golden crown kinglets

Stay safe,
Arthur
Amazing place to have on your doorstep. Your post made me wonder if there is a list of all species ever seen in the park? And how many species you have seen?

Regard
Andy

Amazing place to have on your doorstep. Your post made me wonder if there is a list of all species ever seen in the park? And how many species you have seen?

Regard
Andy
Hello Andy,
Allegedly, two hundred species might be seen but that would include dozens of warblers. I topped one hundred, over the years and stopped counting. The most unusual may have been a boreal owl, long eared owls and a tricolored, or tricoloured perhaps, heron.
It is not quite at my doorstep but 1km is not far.

Stay safe,
Arthur

Arrowhead Marsh today. Mostly things we see in other venues, but different views here and now late into the migration mating colors and behaviors appearing. Three lovely, close enough in, pairs of Blue Winged Teal. Green Wings, American Wigeons, Scaup, Canada Geese, Ruddy Ducks, Double Breasted Cormorants, Eared, Horned, Clarks and Western Grebes, to name a few.

And here in mating colors, and plumage - Ruddy Duck, Dbl Breasted Cormorants, Horned and Earned Grebes, Thanks to "BirdingbuddyLew."Resized_Ruddy_Duck_ZDSC_0024.jpeg Resized_Double-crested_Cormorant_ZDSC_0004.jpeg
Resized_ADSC_9906.jpegResized_ADSC_9946.jpeg

A robin singing, amongst others.
I'm currently on vacation in the Lüneburger Heide, a nature reserve in the north of Germany.
I think it was also the first time in my life that I saw a common adder.
IMG_20230403_111811.jpgIMG_20230403_111809.jpgIMG_20230403_172149.jpg

Good thing you saw it soon enough.

From what I have read, a bite would, at best, ruin your day.

They are listed as non-aggressive, but yours could always be in a bad mood.

Last edited:
Arrowhead Marsh today. Mostly things we see in other venues, but different views here and now late into the migration mating colors and behaviors appearing. Three lovely, close enough in, pairs of Blue Winged Teal. Green Wings, American Wigeons, Scaup, Canada Geese, Ruddy Ducks, Double Breasted Cormorants, Eared, Horned, Clarks and Western Grebes, to name a few.

And here in mating colors, and plumage - Ruddy Duck, Dbl Breasted Cormorants, Horned and Earned Grebes, Thanks to "BirdingbuddyLew."View attachment 1502176 View attachment 1502174
View attachment 1502172View attachment 1502173
I saw three Eared Grebes today. Amazing view with my new binoculairs.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back