• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What did you see in your binoculars today? (4 Viewers)

Yup , that’s what I thought, the newest greenish , and the best of the Audubons FMC coatings , imo. Almost 370ft @ 1000 yards in a 10x50, thats impressive. I believe this was the last year Swift was allowed to use the Audubon designation on the right prism cover, Elkcub would know more about that I believe. I have a few of the 8.5x44’s, great glass , incredible for the price one can get these for.

Paul

Yup , that’s what I thought, the newest greenish , and the best of the Audubons FMC coatings , imo. Almost 370ft @ 1000 yards in a 10x50, thats impressive. I believe this was the last year Swift was allowed to use the Audubon designation on the right prism cover, Elkcub would know more about that I believe. I have a few of the 8.5x44’s, great glass , incredible for the price one can get these for.

Paul
IMO the Swift 8.5x44 and 10x50 are really true gems and indeed as you said for the price you can get a good specimen worth looking for. I have a pair of MC 8.5x44 in Crete and my friends use it everyday with great pleasure.

Paul
IMO the Swift 8.5x44 and 10x50 are really true gems and indeed as you said for the price you can get a good specimen worth looking for. I have a pair of MC 8.5x44 in Crete and my friends use it everyday with great pleasure.
In, through or at?

I’m sorry Grandpa but i dont understand the question? But i was on a bicycle for an hour in heavy Dutch rain 🌧️
Ha! That can do it! Im actually trying to chide Paul here. With tongue in cheek, the usual "Are you looking through or at your binoculars?" issue sprung to mind. While the vast majority of Birdforum is dedicated to birding stuff, when you come into the bino subsection, birding kinda drifts away...... The bino discussion takes over and goes where ever. I was thinking here in "What did you see in your binoculars today? might be the one place we relate the convo over binos back to the activity of birding WITH them. Yours and Pauls didnt seem that. Not my job, sorry if I offended.

Ha! That can do it! Im actually trying to chide Paul here. With tongue in cheek, the usual "Are you looking through or at your binoculars?" issue sprung to mind. While the vast majority of Birdforum is dedicated to birding stuff, when you come into the bino subsection, birding kinda drifts away...... The bino discussion takes over and goes where ever. I was thinking here in "What did you see in your binoculars today? might be the one place we relate the convo over binos back to the activity of birding WITH them. Yours and Pauls didnt seem that. Not my job, sorry if I offended.
No offense at all GrandpaTom.

Especially for you my observation today through my recently acquired Leica 12x50: for 30 minutes i observed a group of 30 or 40 crows flying around in the strong wind. This i did from my cosy chair, bino sort a fixed. Crows are funny animals and to be more specific crazy birds. But highly intelligent and they like to tease each other. There are a lot of crows where i live.

Good night from The Netherlands 😴

For a retirement present my wife took me on a Mississippi river boat trip. Boarded at 6:30am and ended at 6pm. Lots of time with our binoculars. Saw lots of turtles, bald eagles, pelicans and many more I could not identify. Had a beautiful sunny 82 degree day with little wind.

I also want to enter the retirement phase but here in The Netherlands the year of retirement is postponed all the time meanwhile the government is increasing the taxes and….oh well…. Early this morning I saw seagulls chasing each other through my beautiful green Zeiss FL 7x42. The wide field of view was really appreciate.

Last week I was watching bird migration at Falsterbo, Sweden, with my NL 10x32. Perfect pair of binoculars for this kind of bird watching, because of the fast focuser and it's weight. 10 power is preferable because lots of waders are further away.
I saw an adult male pallid harrier and a nutcracker besides the millions of finches and the like.

Attachments

• IMG-20231007-WA0022.jpg
    IMG-20231007-WA0022.jpg
    495.1 KB · Views: 22
Yesterday morning I took a ride up the mountain above where I live. There was some snow and the valley was covered with clouds reflecting the sun so the birds in flight looked very clear. I saw a migrating osprey that looked all white and a female peregrine that looked like a gyrfalcon. The peregrine made a spectacle of itself made many dives and caught a small passerine causing an explosion of feathers that twinkled in the sun. Aurora 8x42

Early this morning i watched flocks of common starlings from my house using my Leitz Trinovid 7x35B.
It’s a wonderful little binocular and it did the job very well with it’s 150 m FOV.

Good day at Valle Vista - Moraga, CA yesterday. Migrations been off to slow start with different order and quantities of birds appearing than we expect. More yet to come, still this was lovely,

Acorn Woodpecker
American Coot
American Wigeon
Belted Kingfisher
Black Phoebe
Black Crowned Night Heron
Bufflehead
California Quail
Canada Goose
Common Goldeneye
Cooper’s Hawk
Double-Crested Cormorant
Gadwall
Great Blue Heron
Great Egret
Green Heron
Green-Winged Teal
Hooded Merganser - star of the day!
Killdeer
Mallard
Mourning Dove
Northern Mockingbird
Northern Shoveler
Ring-Necked Duck
Ruddy Duck
Snowy Egret
Steller’s Jay
Turkey Vulture
Wilson’s Snipe

This morning is dank, miserable and wet. So apart from seeing close up views of the rain for miles and miles, i saw nowt. All the birds seemed to have very sensibly stayed in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back