• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What do you find most frustrating about birding? (1 Viewer)

senatore

For me it is IDing birds.I struggle with loads of them in particular Waders,Warblers,Pipits etc.One day I am going to be on my own birding somewhere and a great rareity will be in front of me and I will not know it.

What about you.What do you find most frustrating about birding?

Max.

When I see a distant bird, my bins are ALWAYS on close focus, when I see a close bird they are ALWAYS on distant focus and I ALWAYS turn the focus wheel the wrong way.

Other than that, I share your problem, Max!

Shortage of time and finacial recources, working with only two functioning brain cells B :) memory span shorter than a golfish :h?: apart from that eveything is fine.

Can't decide between long distance dips and elusive skulkers.

Worst dips:

Pine Bunting (six hours in FREEZING muddy field whilst other birders were picking it up regularly)

Little Bittern (ten hours at Dungeness to no avail)

Purple Heron (many hours at Cley sat scouring distant ditches)

Worst skulkers:

Quail - amazingly difficult bird to see, but I've seen one now (ner ner)

Small Sylvia Warblers in autumn

Golden Pheasant - don't bother getting out of the car, just sit and wait for one crossing the road.

Nightingale species - Have got both now but they were tough little blighters

The fact that most rare birds seem to have a copy of my schedule and decide to b****r off for the day when I go to see them. 3:) :storm:
Keith

Trying to pick the best spots at the best time without going to the obvious places. It is either rewarding or frustrating.

Hi Driving miles to see what I am reliably informed is a prolific birding site only to find the usual mob of Canada Geese, mallards and Coots. I guess I must hold a world record for the number of these wonderful birds. Oh yes I almost got to see a Water Rail at Inner Marsh Farm RSPB reserve, but at least there were 100 Little Egrets nesting there so that made a refreshing change. Good Birding PeterK

Most frustrating - not knowing how to say "YES - it is a Shoveler", without actually saying "For Goodness sake I've seen enough of them to know what I'm talking about - I know it isn't exactly like the picture blinking book - but it is a Shoveler!" to the "expert" bird watcher.

birdman said:
When I see a distant bird, my bins are ALWAYS on close focus, when I see a close bird they are ALWAYS on distant focus and I ALWAYS turn the focus wheel the wrong way. /QUOTE]

:clap: :clap:

I'm with you there.

For me its failing to nail a rarity. Knowing you have seen something and also knowing you will not be able to get accepted or being unable to work out which of two it is.

The worst was either a Summer or Scarlet Tanager..95% sure it was the latter. I was at the time held together by 24 stables - I was supposed to be recouperating from abdominal surgery - otherwise I'd have climbed the fence between me and it rather more quickly and might have seen it better.

Last year I heard a Semi-P plover but only saw it in flight.

Then there was that singing Western Orphean Warbler that I couldn't see despite 10 hours trying.

And the Lancie that I only saw in flight...

this is getting too painfull.

The fact that I don't live close enough to the sea to go seawatching before breakfast every day.

The fact that school finishes at 3pm so I have to be home to pick up my eldest, surely they could keep teaching her until I run out of daylight.

The fact that I didn't twitch the golden-winged warbler.

Just when you get on something and it clears off just before you identify it beyond doubt, when you know its something good. I end up kicking myself for days (make that years) over it!

Or, when someone your birding with grips you off with something and you miss it.

One that has frustrated me for years is whenever I go out and cover my patches I know that I'm not going to see anything rare or beautiful, living in Derbyshire, yet I keep on doing it, though I've got sensible this year, by just staying in more.

Last edited:
Jane Turner said:
For me its failing to nail a rarity. Knowing you have seen something and also knowing you will not be able to get accepted or being unable to work out which of two it is.

You've got mine beat - that's definitely more annoying.

James Eaton said:
One that has frustrated me for years is whenever I go out and cover my patches I know that I'm not going to see anything rare or beautiful, living in Derbyshire, yet I keep on doing it, though I've got sensible this year, by just staying in more.

ha ha ha

too right

i remember it well...oh the pain. it's why so many Derby boys end up travelling the globe

when u gonna move to Norwich/Bangkok/Jakarta then?

or gonna stick with Willington

;)

Hmm... excellent question.

My biggest problem with birding is that I usually go with my dad, and since he usually has to work a few hours on Saturday, I can't spend the whole day birding. Yea I know I shouldn't be complaining but still....

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back