• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What do you know about birding in Dubai? (1 Viewer)

2520years

Lurking in the bushes is wrong.
We're going to Dubai early in June and I've just discovered that there is a Wildlife and Waterbird Sanctuary at Al Kohr. I expect to see quite different birds than I'm used to anyway, but does anyone know what sorts of species I should be looking out for? I've searched this forum but can only find that there are flamingoes. I don't even know what to expect in and around the town.

Any help would be appreciated, it's quite hard for an amateur like me to find out anything about Dubai.

June is not exactly the best month for birding in Dubai; it will be very hot and there won't be any wintering birds.

A good bet are the Golf courses that act as a magnet for birds. Been a few years, but at the time it was a good idea to call the golf course first. Other good places are the parks in Dubai.

One of the BF regulars 'Gashead' lives in Dubai, hopefully he will be along later to add to the advice given by Hanno.

cheers
Andy

Thanks Hanno. It won't be much of a chore having to spend time on the golf course! They do a tour of the Wildlife Sanctuary which I drag my family on, so that should help me identify species.

What sort of species can I expect?

Hi 2520, PM your email address to me and we may be able to help...don't forget it's 45 degrees in June though!!!

I'm going to be in Dubai this weekend ( Sat - Tues ) as was wondering if anyone wanted to go out and about with me. I particularly wanted to get back to Al Kohr Waterbird Sanctuary as my only other time there was in August with temps around 45c. Neil.

Ras Al Kohr

I am visiting Dubai for 2 weeks this December. A visit to Ras Al Kohr today had many new species i've never seen including:-
Black Winged Stilt
Great White Egret
White Eared Bulbul
Red Vented Bulbul
Whimbrel
Indian Roller
Common Mynah
Spotted Eagle
Marsh Harrier
Western Reef Heron
Grey Francolin
Cattle Egret

The hides are quite far apart, and if like me, you haven't got a car, you face a long walk!
This is the first time i've been to Ras Al Kohr, but i would recommend it to anyone with a few hours to spare.
Awesome.!:t:

Safa park

On a visit to Safa park yesterday, i saw several Hoopoes, feeding just 10 feet away and unconcerned by my presence. Several Indian Rollers also present, together with a flock of house Crow and an Indian Silverbill nest building in a shrub.
Common Sandpiper and Grey Wagtails also seen. Brilliant!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back