• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What Happens When the Fledglings Leave? (1 Viewer)

Hellymart

My nesting bluetits have been feeding their babies for about 2.5 weeks, so they must soon turn into fledglings (?) Someone's told me that once they leave the nest, that's it, they just fly off and never return to the nest. Is that true?! Will I get some warning that the babies are about to go, or will I come home from work one day and find them all gone, and no more 'cheeps'?! Would appreciate advice from all you bluetit experts out there!
Thanks!

Hellymart said:
My nesting bluetits have been feeding their babies for about 2.5 weeks, so they must soon turn into fledglings (?) Someone's told me that once they leave the nest, that's it, they just fly off and never return to the nest. Is that true?! Will I get some warning that the babies are about to go, or will I come home from work one day and find them all gone, and no more 'cheeps'?! Would appreciate advice from all you bluetit experts out there!
Thanks!
I have two boxes with blue-tits in although i have no idea how many chicks are inside either of the boxes,judging from the noise i would say a fair few!! I would imagine they leave the nest early in the morning and am hoping the parents will bring them to my feeders to say hello and thanks for supplying such a nice box!! But they will probably just head straight for the oak tree at the end of the garden.

A lot of garden birds feed their chicks for 1-2 weeks after they have left the nest. You'll probably see them that way.

In the woods this weekend I saw the parents feeding about 6 long tailed chicks who were sat on a branch. Very cute

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back