• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What have I bought? (1 Viewer)

Bramberg

I Just bought these for a price of $20. Haven't got them yet so I can't comment on the quality. The seller told me that they were older (?) and had good view and nice heavy feel to them. He knew nothing about binoculars so my questions about coatings, CA and ER and such were in vain. I have tried google but can't come up with any 8x30 that looks like this one except the odd Habicht 8x30 W GA. The hensoldt are similar but they don't have center focusing wheel. The quality control sticker at the center column hints of japan, or does it? Anyone?

Attachments

• 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 143
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 109
I Just bought these for a price of $20. Haven't got them yet so I can't comment on the quality. The seller told me that they were older (?) and had good view and nice heavy feel to them. He knew nothing about binoculars so my questions about coatings, CA and ER and such were in vain. I have tried google but can't come up with any 8x30 that looks like this one except the odd Habicht 8x30 W GA. The hensoldt are similar but they don't have center focusing wheel. The quality control sticker at the center column hints of japan, or does it? Anyone?

That sticker makes me think Japan or Hong Kong.
Is there any wear or scuffing? They look shiny new in the pictures.
Any text or numbers on the front?

Last edited:
That sticker makes me think Japan or Hong Kong.
Is there any wear or scuffing? They look shiny new in the pictures.
Any text or numbers on the front?

I'm sorry but I don't have any more info. Bought them on pure instinct when I saw the ad. My girlfriend is bringing them when she gets back from a trip in a coupple of weeks. Until then I only have these pictures.

They look identical to the 8x30 Habicht (green armored version, which has been discontinued). Seems like they might be re-badged Habichts, hopefully, under license, if not, Swaro's lawyers will be calling on "Public" to cease and deist if they haven't already.

Brock

. It looks like a regular 8×30 Japanese binocular with three element eyepieces, possibly made for a store group in Norway or maybe Sweden. Possibly somewhere like Elof Hansen (I forget the spelling, although I used to sell them Walt Disney products).
The rubber armour looks nice though I doubt that it is waterproof.
possibly 1960s?

It should turn out to have fair performance, although without modern coatings. So long as it is collimated you have not paid too much. It should be worth a little bit more than you paid.

They look identical to the 8x30 Habicht (green armored version, which has been discontinued). Seems like they might be re-badged Habichts, hopefully, under license, if not, Swaro's lawyers will be calling on "Public" to cease and deist if they haven't already.

Brock

I don't believe these are habicht's. But if it turns out that they are then that's fine and I won't complain. But who in their right mind would rebrand a swaro and name it public. Not a very fancy name.

I was looking for some rugged and modestly priced car bins when I stumbled upon these. I hope they will do the job and I liked the fact that I haven't seen these before. If collimation is of I can always have them serviced if they seem worth it. After all I payed a price that equals one -> B :) at a norwegian restaurant.

I googled for "JTII 8x30 binoculars" or something like that and looked for pictures.
From what I can tell they look very similar to Yashica 8x30's porros although I can't find any of those that has the rubber armor.

Last edited:
"I googled for "JTII 8x30 binoculars"

For more than 2 decades, that sticker would have been on hundreds of models from dozens of manufactureres.

Bill

. Sometimes the oval sticker has numbers on it. This sometimes is in a code form, which represents the date of manufacture, or at least the inspection passed date.
From memory, the first number is the year and the second number is the month starting in April.

. Sometimes the oval sticker has numbers on it. This sometimes is in a code form, which represents the date of manufacture, or at least the inspection passed date.
From memory, the first number is the year and the second number is the month starting in April.

The code number is a code for the manufacturer. All of the
Japanese companies had their own code.

The JTII standards were required by the Japan Telescopes Inspection
Institute. This oval sticker started in 1959 and for 30 years until
the late 80's.
There is a post on here where Steve C. posted a link to a list, of the codes and mfrs.
The Europa optics site has an article about the history of Japanese
optics manufacturing. After WWII, Japan was the leader in binocular
manufacturing.

Jerry

I don't think so.

I think, Jerry, that you are referring to the two codes stamped into the metal of the binoculars. I think JB and JE numbers.

The yellow oval stickers, maybe more often found in cameras quite often have numbers on them.
You have to guess at the decade and then the first number is the year in that decade.
The second number is the month. I think April is month 1 and January month 0. This is not a perfect system as it seems that no optics were made in February or March. However, it is better than nothing and optics made in February or March may well have a 1 is the last digit,.

I think that the white ovals also sometimes have numerals but sometimes these are single digits, which may refer simply to the year of the decade. Quite often, however, the white ovals do not have numerals so that one cannot date the binocular. Sometimes though, if you have the paperwork you can date them that way.

There are fairly numerous code number and letters systems on lenses that indicate either the number of lens elements and lens groups, or which factory the lens was made in. And in the case of Kodak and Hasselblad you can easily tell the year of manufacture. There are also a lot of other makes, which have their own codes but I cannot remember the actual codes of these.

In addition, Dallmeyer lenses made in World War II have their own code letters. I had approximately 20 to 30 36 inch F/6.3 lenses and each of them was listed in the original Dallmeyer codebook which had handwritten entries with the dates of manufacture of each of the lenses. Quite often these were VV followed by a number or UU followed by a number. Because of wartime haste and also a very hard life on the F52 cameras the quality of these lenses varied enormously. Some were good, some were pretty awful. But even the awful ones did their job well. In some instances they are apparently hand figured aspheric, but unfortunately it is impossible to know which ones have this simply by looking at them.
The spherical aberration of the 36 inch F/6.3 cleared at F/8.7 and after that even the bad ones are okay. They were probably used at F/11 and normally used yellow or red filters. The exposures were changed mainly by interchangeable large shutter units that slotted into the back of the cameras.
Other types of Dallmeyer lenses also had similar numbers but I didn't often check them in the very large manufacturers logbook. I think that most of these logbooks still exist.

Similarly Taylor Hobson, and the National optics company or NOC had their own numbers. For instance on the 20 inch F/5.6 Aviars, which were much improved by F/7. These numbers often started with TT for Taylor Taylor Hobson.Then there were shadow factories dotted around, many around the Leicester area, but also in other parts of Britain, which had their own system, in some cases the lenses were completely unmarked. Some of the metalwork was made of very bad quality metal which nowadays crumbles terribly. the 8 inch F/2.9 Dallmeyer Pentac is often awful nowadays both in the metalwork and in the quality of the optics Also the glass is not very good quality as we had to make do with whatever glass we could get, even Scottish glass.

Similarly, binoculars, monoculars, telescopes and other optical instruments had their own system. Military items were sometimes marked with the number 14 and an arrow. I think they were different systems for the Royal Navy, air force or army. even Canadian binoculars seem to have the British system of codes. So these code numbers don't necessarily mean that they were made in Britain.

Then in Germany there were numerous codes for all the different factories including those made in other countries. You can find a mixture where the camera bodies have one number and other parts have other numbers. There are lists of probably most of these code numbers.

Unfortunately, more modern optics have such a bewildering number system that nobody outside of the factories probably knows when the items were made. Also some of these optics are made in the tens of millions and manufactures may not wish to tell you a date of manufacture.

Soviet and Russian optics have their own numbering system.

#Binastro

That is great in depth info. From the pictures on these bins it not readable. In fact it even looks like the ovel sticker is worn flat. It's fair to say that some make it easier to determine the age of their product. This is my Busch Rathenow 6x30 monocular. My guess is 1942 on the monocular and 1940 on the bag.

Attachments

• Busch Rathenow 6x30 1942 01.jpg
    Busch Rathenow 6x30 1942 01.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 53
  • Busch Rathenow 6x30 1942 02.jpg
    Busch Rathenow 6x30 1942 02.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 44
  • Busch Rathenow 6x30 1942 03.jpg
    Busch Rathenow 6x30 1942 03.jpg
    261.8 KB · Views: 38
. Hi Bramberg.
that is correct as far as the dating is Concerned.

in fact Busch made some of the very large aircraft cameras which had Zeiss lenses made about the same time as your monocular.
I rescued many of them that were being thrown onto skips and eventually donated them to different museums.
The museum curators had never seen or even known about some of these cameras, which as far as I know are not documented anywhere.
A lot of optical equipment made at this time and also in Britain is completely unknown about nowadays. There are no written records and people who think they can find everything on the Internet are quite wrong. You have to if possible go to the original source or actually have the item in your hands. Much has been lost forever.

Some of these optical devices, neither I nor my friends have any idea for what purpose they were made.

I could not watch these optical devices going to landfill sites. Unfortunately I could not rescue everything but I did the best I could.

In fact, after World War II an enormous amount of equipment was buried at airfields and other sites. Also large amounts were dumped in the sea.

Even well after World War II excess stocks of lenses, were used as hard-core for the car park of a well-known lens maker. There are thousands of them buried and crushed.

After World War II you could buy a Spitfire for £10.

Some of these aircraft cameras that I had still had bullet holes in them.

I drove 10,000 km on a round-trip to Hammerfest and I am an early member of the polar bear society. The Norwegian scenery is amongst the most beautiful in the world.
I hope you had a good summer.

Good luck with your binocular.

P.S.
what is a bit unusual about your monocular is that it is marked Busch rather than having the three letter code. Maybe civilian monoculars were so marked. I don't have such civilian items I think. Maybe they are quite common.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back