• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What impact for Birds at local landfill site? (1 Viewer)

pie

Cardiff has introduced food waste disposal to the recycling scheme in the City.
Food must now be placed in the composting bin with other garden waste material and should no longer be included in the non recycle black bin.

The food will no longer be disposed at the Lamby Way landfill site, a typical place for scavenging Birds.

I am sure this will have an impact on Birds, but what, is unclear.
A search on google has not produced any examples of what effect this will have on Birds who obtain a substantial amount of food by scavenging when supply is withdrawn.

The scheme starts this week, and I would be interested to know what others think.
Will loss of food at landfill sites have a positive or negative effect on Birds & what effects might we see.

Last edited:
Cardiff has introduced food waste disposal to the recycling scheme in the City.
Food must now be placed in the composting bin with other garden waste material and should no longer be included in the non recycle black bin.

The food will no longer be disposed at the Lamby Way landfill site, a typical place for scavenging Birds.

I am sure this will have an impact on Birds, but what, is unclear.
A search on google has not produced any examples of what effect this will have on Birds who obtain a substantial amount of food by scavenging when supply is withdrawn.

The scheme starts this week, and I would be interested to know what others think.
Will loss of food at landfill sites have a positive or negative effect on Birds & what effects might we see.
As its mostly Gulls that scavenge at these tips i personally think its a good thing that that the food supply is being withdrawn.
Perhaps it will curb gull numbers and reduce them in areas where they never used to be, they really are a pain in the arse.
Theres nothing quite like seeing a Buzzard or kite over woodland being harrassed by gulls

Hiya Collster,
Not finding much info on the subject, it occurred to me that we are unlikely to learn what affect withdrawal of food at landfill sites will have on scavenging Birds.
If Gulls etc have become reliant on this food source, where will they go next?
Also, what happens if scheme is implemented throughout the country?
Would a huge number of Birds dislocated.
We already know a high number of Gulls no longer fish for food and have become increasingly aggressive, or at least bold.

I also wondered what numbers are we talking about, what is a typical day at the tip like?

I wrote to Cardiff City Council who explained the re-cycle process, confirming the withdrawal of food at landfill.
They have put me in touch with Andrew Williamson the site manager, who sometimes uses a Hawk bird handler to deter Gulls.
I am waiting to hear back from him, re; the number of birds at the site & hopefully let me monitor the changes every few months.

I have also received a reply from Richard James at the RSPB. He says,

There is very little research into the reliance birds have on landfills but it is unlikely any are completely reliant on them.
Landfills are obviously popular with animals such as gulls, crows and foxes.
They are an easy source of food for them but it may not be healthiest as it is usually scraps. Diseases can also be spread around landfills.

These animals are opportunistic so should be able to find alternatives.
Landfills are an "unnatural" food source so once these are closed and capped then the populations of these animals will return to a level the surrounding environment can naturally support.
It is difficult to say whether these animals will take to the surrounding environment.
Crows probably will because they will take to almost any habitat but if the surrounding areas is largely woodland for example then the gulls will return to the coast.

As we can see, it's early days to know what the impact if any will be.
I will keep the thread updated as things progress and value any comments.
It would be interesting to know about the change to landfill sites in other areas of the UK.
Bye for now

Last edited:
Gulls scavenging causing chaos in City Centre

Wales regional news today, reported a recent increase in the number of Gulls scavenging in Cardiff City centre restaurants and causing problems for the owners and customers.

The feature highlighted the problem but did not include a spokesperson to discuss the possible cause/solution.

As I could find little or no research into what effect hundreds of "displaced gulls" could have on the environment when I started this thread,
I am adding this information as a record of events into any reported Gull behaviour since the introduction of recycling and withdrawal of waste food from landfill.

The Landfill site at Cardiff is surrounded with woodland Bird habitation and Lamby Way reserve is directly opposite.
This was my original concern especially Blackbird eggs etc.

Anyone is welcome to add comments or similar observations from their own areas.

I like this idea. "End gull welfare." Get those plump, waddling spoiled gulls back to work being.....well
gulls!
At least they will be weaned off the stuff, and not cut off 'cold turkey'. :t:

I reckon landfill sites are an easy meal for birds and animals alike , we / they only have ourselves to blame for the problem .

As Landfill sites tend to be located on the outskirts of cities, it makes me wonder where scavenging birds, foxes etc will go in search of food.
Nest sites?

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back