• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What is it ? (3 Viewers)

Well I looked at it.
Its a Duck, definately a duck.
The swimming is a dead givaway. Unless its a funny looking gull, no, its a duck. Its also probably a hybrid, and lets hope its senile, nope thats not the word, er , sterile, thats it!.

RobLittle said:
I would definitely go with the Pocahard x Tufted Duck hybrid theory. This bird is the same or very similar to one that has been seen several times in the Teesmouth area over the last 3 or 4 winters.

Could be it then Rob as it's been on the main pond Cowpen Bewley Wildlife and Woodland Park off Seal Sands Road for about a week.

As both Tufted Duck and Pochard breed in some numbers on the Tees marshes, such hybrids are not infrequent here and at least one is seen most years. Trick is to pick out the genuine Lesser Scaup or Fudge Duck.

Hi Ian,
I'd go along with Tufted x Pochard of the "Lesser Scaup" type.Obviously not a true Lesser Scaup for the reasons outlined above.
Harry

Hi Henry,

You're right in that the Ring Necked Duck is North American, but we seem to have more and more turning up over here each year. They are either breeding or migrating from other parts of Europe or escapees from collections. We have quite a few Aytha species which is where the problem seems to be as occasionally they cross-breed with slightly differing variants turning up. We have Scuap, Tufted Duck, Pochard, Ferruginous Duck and Ring Necked Duck all as possible partners. They generally breed true but occasionally cross-breed.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back