• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What is .jfif? (1 Viewer)

delia todd

If I said the wrong thing it was a Senior Moment
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
Since I had some problems sorted on my laptop (which no seems to be working pretty well mostly), I've had an issue with saving and uploading some pictures.

I save to my desktop as a jpg (or jpeg or JPEG) but when I go to upload them to a thread the file extension has been changed to

.jpg.jfif

Which, of course is wrong and won't upload. I go round in circles sometimes trying to amend the file name.

Is there a way to stop it happening in the first place, or what is the easiest way to edit the file extension.

So do I Julie.

New one on me, but...
...suggests that Windows has corrupted your registry. What joy.

Thanks Butty

A snippet from that site:

NOTE: Some Windows 10 updates can cause web browsers, such as Microsoft Edge, to mistakenly save .JPG files as JFIF files. To fix this issue, you must revert your Windows Registry to saving JPEG images as .jpg files.

Soooo.... how the heck do I do that?

I'm not using Edge, but mostly PaleMoon.

It's not always happening, but this morning (which really, really annoyed me), I saved a copy of one of my pictures from the Gallery onto my desktop in order to put it in a thread. It's jpg in the Gallery but became .jpg.jfif on my desktop.

I did similar yesterday with no problems.

Went back to work Thursday. School has changed some IT - rightly so it has saved some valuable money - but stuff as always has snags. Little bit stressful :( As usual I leave all of these things to those who know better :)

Last edited:
Delia, this caught my interest as I have never heard of this file extension. Here is another website to try, he checks out as legit. He will walk you through changing it OR at the bottom has a file you can download and try if you don’t want to go into the register.

oops, missed MM’s answer.

Thanks Lisa.

I'd not heard of it either, but it comes up in the string of file names starting with JPEG, when I go to Save as...

But why on earth it adds that file extension to the jpg one.... (it's saving them as .... blahblah.jpg.jfif) is quite beyond me.

Supposedly has been around since the early 90s. I never heard of it when teaching and keeping up with the industry. 🤷🏻

Thanks for your support on this guys.
I eventually plucked up the courage and did the fix.... and it seems to have worked.

Fingers crossed I haven't screwed anything else up LOL.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back