• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

what is this bird (1 Viewer)

mdmoshier2

I saw this bird 6 weeks ago at Portal, AZ. I have been unable to figure out what this bird is and merlin is no help. sorry this is the best photo I have.

_Q2A2551.jpg_Q2A2557.jpg

There's no streaks on that species in any plumage. The dark blotches are either feather-bases or freshly-moulted feathers. The dark centred undertail-coverts may be odd though - I haven't checked.

There's no streaks on that species in any plumage. The dark blotches are either feather-bases or freshly-moulted feathers. The dark centred undertail-coverts may be odd though - I haven't checked.
the white near the tail on the lower belly should be brown on the blue grosbeak shouldn't it? I will agree that that one seems to be the closest however.

If this were from late summer/fall I would be wondering if it wasn't a young male cowbird.
Good point - hadn't thought of that - bill/head shape is probably good - doesn't show brown-headed cowbird's faint malar stripe in these photos though. Do 1st-year males retain some/most juvenile (or juvenile-like) plumage through to the 2nd-calendar-year full moult?

Got any more photos?

Good point - hadn't thought of that - bill/head shape is probably good - doesn't show brown-headed cowbird's faint malar stripe in these photos though. Do 1st-year males retain some/most juvenile (or juvenile-like) plumage through to the 2nd-calendar-year full moult?

Got any more photos?
Blue Grosbeak (2nd cal year, apparently) actually correct. Bill is definitely wrong (very) for any cowbird species.

Oh, of course there are the wing-bars, which are a big reason I went straight for blue grosbeak in the first place and do knock out brown-headed cowbird.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back